Coffee Stirrers

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
merlin2
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by merlin2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Very impressive indeed; and as already said, thanks for the tips especially regarding the tile manufacture.
Merlin

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:38 pm

fantastic job looks very good and they are super straight coffee strainers

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:58 pm

Steve:118742 wrote:Anyone else have building from Stirrers to show?
Here is my little station building on my PHRy (the Pine Hill Railway).

The station was built of 4mm ply glued together with PVA. The coffeestirrers was then glued to the ply like your building. As you can see it was outside in wet and cold weather, and this wasn't good for the ply after some time. The humid weather maked the ply splitt in some places, mostly on the base and lower parts of the walls.

I have now restored the station by some woodenscrews and PVA. And have made a new roof made of acrylate sheets and roof tiles from Plasticards (US).

Now I keep the building stored in my garage when not having a steamup.
Last edited by KjellAn on Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

Steve
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:56 pm

Very nice Kjell

A great photo taken in a beautiful country. I am visiting again in August.  

I like the boards at the end of the roof. I hope you don't mind me stealing that idea, stirrers already being cut up.

I will see if I can get a snow photo this coming winter.

Steve

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:25 pm

Cracking job!! I feel the muse fluttering around me.... :D

tuppenced
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tuppenced » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:57 am

Steve:118734 wrote:David

I use about 98% yes some are a bit bent and so is only usable as short parts.
Maybe some makes are better other?

My stirrers have arrived from the same supplier, but they aren't uniform like lolly sticks, and very few are suitable for vehicle planks. However I'm not whinging: I'd run out of them and was intending to buy some more anyway, and at 1/2p each I certainly haven't lost anything. They are perfectly adequate for stirring coffee (or paint), and for making attractive walls like Steve's. For vehicle planking I shall be selective, and make some jigs for straightening up and evening out.

David

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:28 pm

great building

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi Piotr,
Welcome to the forum.
 I like that mine building you've constructed there, a lot of detail and thought has gone into that by the look of it. Waiting for more pictures of your line.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:01 pm

That building looks very effective and well made, currently I am concentrating on structures as winter sets in but would never consider using stirrers or any other wooden material as the weather in West Wales is either wet or very wet! Wood is not an option.
My favoured material is Plastikard and so far seems to hold up to the conditions. I will put them under cover throughout the winter though.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:31 pm

Coffee Stirrers have been used in a few projects of mine... just love how versatile they are...

Awchit Station Building was clad in coffee stirrers and used rather extensively all over...

And then my most recent project has seen them employed as bridges, fences, shed doors and even coal stores...

No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Laurence, no doubt you are making the most of your coffee stirrers and producing some nice work, I can see most of your structures are not intended to be left outdoors so wood is suitable for this purpose. My concern for my own buildings is that they need to be left out in all weathers (except winter) as there are too many to set out and put away each time.
As they say, each to his/her own!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi Piotr, plasticard is probably styrene sheet in Canada. I like the way your small scale bogies are undies to you. Undies are something we buy the wife for Xmas only for her to return them for a refund in january. :oops:
Love the buildings by the way and thanks for listing what you use and where, always useful reference.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Piotr Bein:120927 wrote:Undy, undies.... from undercarriage.
I don't know of the Xmas meaning of it :)
Piotr,
"undies" is short for "underwear".
In the christmas context that Bazzer referred to, it is the saucy type that men like their wives to wear but most wives won't be seen dead in and so they return them to the shops as soon as christmas is over!
Philip

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:37 pm

I did make two shed doors on metal bird houses to make them into platelayers huts, using coffee stirrers and they did live outside and indeed one still does. The doors have weathered really nicely but it has warped a little bit on the one that still is in the great outdoors...

You are correct I only have the one building that rarely goes outside when I'm steaming something so most of the time its indoors. I wouldn't be able to leave it outside as I'm sure my dog would accidentally destroy it.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Steve:118742 wrote:Anyone else have building from Stirrers to show?
Here's my latest stirrer items - its the goods yard platform that sits at the end of the line at the CHLR where freight goods are transferred from NG to the main network - through a gap in the fence to Churn Sidings

Installed this weekend - its all a bit new and needs weathering - although its seems as though the PW team like it - somewhere to brew up near the station - just need management to provide a mess hut and they'll be sorted!

Image[/img]
Where did I put that uncoupler?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:03 am

Hi Piotr

It's Mark - the markoteal bit came about hone email addresses first came out - my full name had already been taken and I was thinking of a different naming approach so joined my first name with the first word in my address - (Teal Court) - the 'o' was just something to join them together!

Thanks for your kind words - the PW gang are from Modeltown http://www.modeltown.co.uk/shopping/mal ... kmen-63247

They come unpainted so you can add character to them as you go - one is Stan the Shovel and the other is Pick Pete (although his Pick is currently in the workshop being repaired) - he loves his woodbine cigarettes and he's never seen without one on the go ;)

They are made for 16mm so fit in nicely - I have quite a few now including a couple of the drivers, guard, station master, policemen and solider - as well as a selection of sat down characters for the open carriage and station seats - great job painting them on a winter evening

The barrels are from the same supplier - http://www.modeltown.co.uk/shopping/mal ... 4?pageNo=1

And yes, i now need to weather and rough up the goods platform - another great jobs for the on rushing dark nights!
Where did I put that uncoupler?