A Quiet Sunday

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: A Quiet Sunday

Post by LNR » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 am

Dan has known for a while that every time he stepped out onto the catwalk to adjust the sluice gate, one day he would end up in the wheel or in the lake!
The timbers were well past their use by date.
As the wheel needed a complete replacement, the opportunity was taken to renew the associated timber work with new Merbau which should see Dan out.
Mill Repairs 1.JPG
Mill Repairs 1.JPG (127.2 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
Mill Repairs 2.JPG
Mill Repairs 2.JPG (133.03 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
As for the wheel, don't know where we are going with that, probably end up building again from scratch. Still investigating!
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:25 am

Just thought were there ever metal water wheels?

You could use a rim from a small push chair or child's bicycle?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 am

They certainly did have iron wheels Tom, I was wondering about a centrifugal or squirrel cage fan as looking more prototypical.
A wooden wheel looks good, wondering about using the outer part of a plastic MIG welding wire spool, there's one 300mm diam. which is the size I need. Thinking.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:46 am

I can't recall seeing that building before Grant, the stone effect is just wonderful.... how is it built?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:42 am

The Mill building sits just to the left of the water tank at Nayook Peter. I built it using Hebel blocks (Autoclaved Aerated Concrete ) 100mm thick sawed down the middle to give me 50mm wall thickness, painted "bluestone" colours then scratched in the mortar joints. Milled out window and door recesses with Acrylic windows and timber doors.
It normally looks like this with the wheel fed by a sluice box that re-directs water from the waterfall on the hill behind it.
Railway Scenes 130.jpg
Railway Scenes 130.jpg (130.56 KiB) Viewed 6722 times
Timber framed roof, galv. iron nailed on then covered with my own corrugated iron sheeting.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:13 pm

LNR wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 am That being said Rik, and with Peters recent discussion in "Off Topic" have you ever wondered where all your railway equipment will end up when the time comes for you to stop using it (if you get my drift). I hope my Son won't chuck mine in the bin, I'll come back and haunt him if he does!.
Grant.
Funny you should say that, Grant. I've been considering for a while leaving instructions for my wife and/or daughter with contact details of a couple of younger fellow modellers whom I could trust to dispose of my collection reliably and thoughtfully. Maybe I ought to sort that out before I depart for India!

Unlike Peter's magnificent Emett models, I don't think there will be any collectors, museums or societies who'd welcome my stuff.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:24 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:13 pm I don't think there will be any collectors, museums or societies who'd welcome my stuff.
Not sure about museums, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of fellow modellers who would jump at the chance of acquiring your building, Rik. Of course we all hope that chance won't be for many years to come!!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:38 pm

LNR wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:42 am The Mill building sits just to the left of the water tank at Nayook Peter. I built it using Hebel blocks (Autoclaved Aerated Concrete ) 100mm thick sawed down the middle to give me 50mm wall thickness, painted "bluestone" colours then scratched in the mortar joints. Milled out window and door recesses with Acrylic windows and timber doors.
It normally looks like this with the wheel fed by a sluice box that re-directs water from the waterfall on the hill behind it.

Timber framed roof, galv. iron nailed on then covered with my own corrugated iron sheeting.
Grant.
Wonderful looking model Grant. Love all the details such as the downspout and the reinforcement bolt heads.

What material did you use for your corrugated iron? It looks very good.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:45 pm

philipy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:24 pm Not sure about museums, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of fellow modellers who would jump at the chance of acquiring your building, Rik. Of course we all hope that chance won't be for many years to come!!
Thanks Philip. I'm hoping I reach the age where I can no longer totter out into the garden and so have to hand things on and see them in action on other people's railways.

Rik
------------------------

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Aluminium beer cans Rik. (18-20 of them) cut annealed and corrugated. Wouldn't do it again, that's why I get the aluminium sheet rolls from a craft store.
Also saves the Pong going through the house during annealing, from burning what ever it is in the coating on beer cans. I have a pet hate (hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes ) of corrugated roofs on models done with individual sheets. If you look at an iron roof, you can't see the vertical sheet joins, only the horizontal ones. I roll the sheets as long as the ally comes to have less joins.
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Being younger than most of you feel free to leave stuff to me as it will get used and not sold :thumbup:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Interesting that this subject should crop up again. At our weekly Club breakfast meeting today I asked whether any of those present had made arrangements for disposal of their models, despite all being as old, or older than me, none had.
Last edited by Peter Butler on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:21 am

After 8 years and three months, and not using marine ply, this is what the old millwheel looked like.
New Mill Wheel 4.JPG
New Mill Wheel 4.JPG (57.8 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
It still worked, but for how much longer! The spokes and hubs were useable although I chose to make new ones fixing
them to the wheel in a different way so as not to have holes in the marine ply rims. The cedar belly and paddle planks
were all as sound as the day it was built.
New Mill Wheel 1.JPG
New Mill Wheel 1.JPG (65.9 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
New Mill Wheel 2.JPG
New Mill Wheel 2.JPG (37.82 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
The wheel under construction. This wheel should be more powerful as it will hold more water before spilling it at the bottom.
New Mill Wheel 3.JPG
New Mill Wheel 3.JPG (78.84 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
Just got to cut the spokes to length, tidy up some steel work, and give the wheel three coats of resin, and Dan should
have his new wheel delivered soon.
Grant.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:28 am

Seems a shame to put it outside Grant, great work.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:46 am

The weathered 'old' wheel looks so realistic. You should find a space for it to gradually moulder somewhere near the mill :)
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 am

Wonderful work as ever Grant.... the old wheel has lasted well and looks so good it deserves a place of honour to preserve it.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:09 am

DELIVERY for Mr. D. HEALY.
Dan got his new Mill Wheel delivered this morning. It actually left the manufacturers three days ago, so spent some
time on the road with clearance problems etc.
New Delivery 2.JPG
New Delivery 2.JPG (169.7 KiB) Viewed 7890 times
There were on-lookers, (not much happens in a small town, this was the weeks entertainment!) and all went
according to plan. Dan has quite a backlog to get through, and can't wait for the wheel to be rigged and running.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 am

Another great looking tableau, Grant. Not only do you have a good eye for detail you seem to have a natural instinct for composition. Are they going to jury-rig some sort of derrick?

Rik
------------------------

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks Rik, I had in mind replacing the engine with the Thornycroft, running out the winch over the top of the wheel. Then with men climbing the paddles adding weight and paying out the winch, and so rolling the wheel into position.
Impatience got the better of me, I really miss the sound of the wheel.
Grant.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 pm

That is a beautifully composed piece Grant..... lots of workmen and nothing happening, all standing around, scratching their heads and saying to each other.... 'OK, so it's arrived..... what do we do next?'