bromley craft products

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
cheshire
Cleaner
Cleaner

bromley craft products

Post by cheshire » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:23 am

I have just found Bromley Craft Products realistic brick compound. It looks great, does anyone have any experience of this product, and especialy whether it can be weatherproofed? Thanks

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:04 pm

I first became aware of this at the Warley NEC Exhibition three years ago and was so impressed by the demonstration I bought stencil and compound on the spot. It is an effective way of producing a convincing wall finish quite quickly and easily, especially on flat surfaces, although shapes should become possible with practise. I have not used it on material designed for exterior use so have no need to seal the compound against damp. However, if you apply it to a prepared surface and finish with a waterproofing agent it might prolong the inevitable?
My first use was on a structure taken from a Rowland Emett cartoon showing a house with peeling plasterwork. The method is shown below...
Application...

Painting...

Finished structure...

Another use was for a competition entry at our local model exhibition. This had to be a model fitted entirely within a 'Box File' even when the lid is closed! Sounds simple but can be quite a demanding brief when you give it much thought. My entry was 'A Bull in a China Shop' and the whole of the shop frontage is made of the stone compound..

I hope this is useful.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:52 pm

That stuff looks brilliant, a couple of fantastic uses of application there too. Might have to have a further look into that stuff myself. :)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

cheshire
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by cheshire » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:38 am

I had emailed the company asking the same questions as I posted above, here is their prompt reply. Personally it gives me some hope, assuming I can find a varnish that will work!

Realistic Brick Compound is generally intended for indoor use and the Marabu
varnish is not an exterior varnish. Many garden railway modellers have used
our products outside successfully, but this is dependent on weatherproofing
it which can be done using an exterior varnish. We do not offer any
guarantee or recommendation for outdoor use as weather resistance is
entirely reliant on other products.