Jigstones

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
ivor the engine
Cleaner
Cleaner

Jigstones

Post by ivor the engine » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:29 pm

Just read an article on jigstones and would like to try making a building. However the moulds are quite expensive and they can only be bought in Germany. Does anybody have a set I could borrow to try out before I splash out and buy them. Is there anybody with a set they would like to sell.
Thank you
H

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:46 pm

although mine are in constant use atm so i can not lend them, i would say they are worth the money. especially in comparison to the ready made options. Ordered mine from Germany,really nice guy :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:01 pm

I've got a collection of jigstone rough stone finish and other moulds but I would want them back and I live in Suffolk.
Which moulds are you looking for?

Andy
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Are these moulds suitable for 16mm scale I been looking and can't seem to find out its probably right in front my eyes lol

dizzysteamer :D
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:15 pm

dizzysteamer:121969 wrote:Are these moulds suitable for 16mm scale I been looking and can't seem to find out its probably right in front my eyes lol  dizzysteamer :D
The Jigstones range includes a variety of moulds for brick, stone or slate building blocks that would normally be used to make cement castings for structure building.  Included in the range are moulds that make up windows, doors, guttering and much more that would normally be used to make resin castings designed to fit with the cement building components.
Whilst most of the moulds and could be used for G scale and/or 16mm/ft this does not apply to the door moulds.  The G scale door moulds make a much shorter casting than the 16mm ones.

Note that some of the jigstone range of moulds are very useful while some of them are less so. Also, making good castings takes a little practice especially with the cement structure ones.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:32 am

andymctractor:121992 wrote:
dizzysteamer:121969 wrote:Are these moulds suitable for 16mm scale I been looking and can't seem to find out its probably right in front my eyes lol  dizzysteamer :D
The Jigstones range includes a variety of moulds for brick, stone or slate building blocks that would normally be used to make cement castings for structure building.  Included in the range are moulds that make up windows, doors, guttering and much more that would normally be used to make resin castings designed to fit with the cement building components.
Whilst most of the moulds and could be used for G scale and/or 16mm/ft this does not apply to the door moulds.  The G scale door moulds make a much shorter casting than the 16mm ones.

Note that some of the jigstone range of moulds are very useful while some of them are less so.  Also, making good castings takes a little practice especially with the cement structure ones.    

Hope this helps.
Thanks very much for the info I will do some more research first then decide which approach would best suit us :)

Regards dizzysteamer :D
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊