ageing wood

This section is useful for posting interesting copies of instruction manuals and similar pieces to help other members of the hobby
jez kirkwood
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

ageing wood

Post by jez kirkwood » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:02 pm

First thing to do is make some 'soup', I use an old coffee jar into which I have placed a few rusty nails and a wodge of wire wool, this is then filled with white vinegar and left with it's lid on for a few days.....

Next cut all the wood to size, I have a small bandsaw and usually rip old timber to the sizes I need but basswood sections work just as well. For this model I'm using oak for the framing and mahogony for the planks (these are from old scrap bit of furniture), different woods will react differently to the 'soup' so experiment. take one piece at a time and mount in a vice.

Remember that you only need to treat the areas that will be seen. Next take a drill mounted wire brush and attack the wood - in the pic I'm using a small brush in a dremel but I often use a larger 'DIY shop bargain bin' one in a standard cordless drill.

Turn the piece over and do all visible sides, it's easy to vary the amount of decay you put in. You should end up with something like this.

Now it's time to brush on the 'soup'. Use a largish brush and paint on a generous amount - don't expect any instant results, although depending on the type of wood and the strength of your 'soup' you may see some quick changes. In this case the 'soup' has been maturing for a few months and reacted almost straightaway with the oak (which has very high levels of tanin) but the mahogony just looked wet.

Now the fun bit - leave the wet wood on a tray and go have a drink, check the forum and go to bed! Next morning the magic should have happened........

Easy as that, and cheap
Cheers
Jez

DWR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by DWR » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:47 pm

genius, thanks :)
Romans and railways

my 32mm Railway site
www.dinerthrailwayworks.webs.com/
7 1/4 railway
www.lnwrrailway.webs.com/
my youtube account
http://www.youtube.com/user/elika80?feature=mhee
PENRHYN RAILWAY
http://www.penrhynrailway.co.uk/

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:23 pm

You could build a good looking old pirate ship with them ;)

Thanks for sharing - good tips.

Cheers,

Tom

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Very clever an the best bit for me and I expect others too Its Cheap :lol:

dizzysteamer :D
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Another method which works..............

Buy (pauses for cries of "Shock!" and "Horror!") a bottle of Indian Ink from a craft shop. Take one of those little jars that jam and marmalade comes in when you go for an afternoon tea, almost fill it with water and add a brushful or so of the ink. Brush this on the wood. You may find it easier to experiment to get the right dilution, and you can, of course, use more than one coat to get your desired effect. If your trial comes out too dark, add more water. I also often distress the top plank of a wagon to get a "worn" look, and these days it's usually applied before assembly, as PVA or any other glue stops the mix from getting into the wood. I sometimes used to leave a plank out of the staining process, so it looked like the wagon had been repaired. Two examples here...........

.......... When I go outside tomorrow, I'll get my rake of Jurassic rubbish wagons out and get a picture.
Last edited by MDLR on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Go to the bottom of http://mdlr.co.uk/ffstock.html for the "words and music".......
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:53 pm

I like that technique, superb aged look 8)
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: ageing wood

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:57 am

Thats so cool and very very cheap Jez... Thanks.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: