The Charnwood Forest Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Re: The Charnwood Forest Light Railway

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:04 am

Looking good, Andrew, but then I am a sucker for sweeping curves.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:13 am

As others have said, a wonderful piece of track laying, congratulations Andrew. I'm sure you will now be building a little, running a little, as you are able to reap the rewards of your patience.
Grant.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks for redoing the videos Andrew. The layout is going to be a cracker, good planning and all that...

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Brilliant Andrew - great to see those long sweeping curves in action!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm

The railway looks terrific, Andrew, when the plants will grow later on and you can sit in the middle with a beer watching the trains running by it will be a joy for many evenings.. So if there is a minor sign in front of possible expenses now, it will only be a thing far away then. It is growing into something working now..!
Best regards, Daan.
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:43 am

Only just caught up with your videos Andrew. You must be really chuffed ( :roll: ) to finally have movement on your line. That is going to mature into a really stunning railway. Well done! :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:01 am

Great to see stock running on your line, Andrew. Another milestone has been reached.......

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm afraid I've got no photos to share of recent activity. Not that there's been much I'm afraid. The ongoing upheaval of bathroom rebuilding grinds slowly on. It's a bit of a team effort between my plumber, his plasterer and me. We all have a lot of other things to keep us busy. After a summer of snails pace progress (which at least gave me some time to work on the railway) the plumber has picked up the pace and is finding plenty to fill any spare moments I have to support his work. Some progress has been made though. I spent some time adjusting the cross levels on the last series of curves I laid, to remove some twist faults found by the first steamings. I've also managed to get the 180 degree curve laid, although much work remains to complete the footpath crossing. At the end of this curve is the small yard that will form Anstey Station. The lead from the mainline to the yard has been laid and I've got another length of track down now towards Shepshed station. The distance is only just over a couple of lengths of track long so won't take long. This stage of the work will be largely in a shallow cutting and so a lot of work has gone into providing a french drain on each side of the trackbed, wrapped in geotextile to keep the soil out.

You can probably tell from all this that turnout construction has continued too, and is still ongoing. Most of the line will be built with 8 foot (scale length) loose heeled switches and 1 in 6 crossings. These are therefore standard units. It's not quite mass production but being similar makes the process of building them much simpler, if only by dint of being a relatively repetitive process and thus more and more familiar with each unit. I need two special turnouts that will fall within curves. Both turnouts are on the inside of the curve and so 1 in 6 crossings would make the turnout radius horribly tight. One of these is already built and laid. I stuck with 8 foot switches but used a 1 in 10 crossing. The other turnout was the first attempt at 16mm S&C construction. All my turnouts are designed from first principles. I've got an excel spreadsheet giving the lead lengths radii and other details for any number of combinations of switch length and crossing angle! The first turnout was drawn before the spreadsheet was produced and without a lot of the calculated detail that came from putting the spreadsheet together. I learnt a lot from building that turnout. Five turnouts down the road I know I can do better, both geometrically and structurally. The second turnout I built was a standard 1 in 6 but there was a basic schoolboy error in forming the switch heel which put a twist fault just where you don't want one! The standard to which these two were built is not acceptable for use in a running line, both are destined for the sidings at Shepshed. One of the jobs I've done in this 'quiet' period is to produce a better design for this second special turnout. I actually had to re-survey the curve it will go in to account for one of two minor alignment changes made during construction of the road bed. I've now got a design drawn out ready for an 8 foot switch turnout with a 1 in 8 crossing, curved throughout on both roads. It's location at the top of the branch at the throat to Abbey Lane station means it can be accessed from surfaced paths and is therefore an ideal site to work on during the muddy days of winter, when working on the soil further down the garden would produce mud in quantities beloved of hippos! Consequently the next turnout, hopefully to be started later this week, will be another standard 1 in 6 for the throat of Shepshed station.

Big railways have also been an obstacle to progress. I've had to produce a pway design for one heritage line in a bit of a rush during October and I've got another two waiting in the wings for other lines which are getting increasingly urgent. At least my expeditions to the Bluebell have ended for the year now! I'm very hopeful to find time to complete the pway construction work up to Shepshed station throat before the weather gets too wet to be on the garden. At that point I intend to turn the focus on the Abbey Lane Station area. It's where most of the remaining turnouts are required and so there will be plenty of work to do indoors when the weather is too poor to be outside at all. Hopefully the bathroom will be finished by then too. It's got to progress with a bit more speed in the short term - the loo was removed today. I'm not going to stand using the outside loo for long once the weather turns! It's no fun venturing outdoors at three o'clock on a frosty morning - I'm sure we used to have a 'po' somewhere that came from my grandparents! I promise to try and take some picture of recent progress and post them before too long.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:01 pm

WOW!

Progress or not,, your line is a masterclass in Garden Railway building. The trackwork is stunning. I salute you Sir!

:)
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks Jim, It's nice of you to say so.

I think I might do things slightly differently if I did it all again, much like being 21 again but knowing what I know now! Work has been stalled by bathroom rebuilding lately. There's been no significant progress for about two months now. It's going to be a little while longer before I can get back to it and, of course, the weather is against me now. Much of what's left to be done needs me to be out on the garden (well off the paths), definitely a 'better weather' job. The branch terminus and it's throat are all adjacent to much firmer ground though. This is planned to be the winter project - once I've finished with bathrooms..... and tidied up the spare bedroom....... and the cellar...... and the dining room....... and got down the allotment to clear the ground and get the winter digging done....... Maybe it will be a spring project! :roll:

All the best,

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Andrew, just wait until you are retired, you will have even less time then. I have had so much to do since I retired I am seriously considering going back to work to give me more time again.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi Andrew.
Have you been able to carry on your tracklaying lately. Missing your posts. In Butler Henderson with a coffee a couple of days ago and i thought of your layout and wondered how you were getting on. Mind you, if you have had snow like we have had in Anstey today, i expect you have not done much this weekend. At least I am able to do my carriage modelling inside. I don't have a line myself but look forward to being able to run on Association group lines again in the spring.
David.
David T.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Hello David,

Thanks for asking. Construction has been at a stand since Christmas I'm afraid. There was a lot of tidying up to do indoors and out. I've been trying to get the allotment dug over but the weather has confounded me at every turn. I managed some tidying up on the horticultural side of the house garden but railway wise it's been static. My next task really is to construct a curved turnout for the terminus station throat. I need to draw it out first and, although I've dug out the drawing equipment since Christmas, it's been to work on pway designs for heritage railways rather than the turnouts for the garden line. Covering the dining room table in tools and rails is not an ideal scenario and so I'd like to create some space to work in the cellar. (I'd also like to crack on with the construction of the Hornby Dublo layout down there and the two are mutually beneficial). Now the bathroom reconstruction work is effectively complete I can begin to sort out the stored junk - I mean invaluable collection of random items that will come in one day, for something other- and I started down that road this morning. The end result is the recyclling being full again already!

I hope to make a start again soon, I'm very keen to do so, but I must get this couple of 12" to the foot drawing jobs away first.

Andrew

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:07 pm

your making great progress cant wait to see it in the summer with lots of plants

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:46 am

A 2018 Christmas Special then (dig, dig.).
You'll get there Andrew, and the result will be worth it. Remember this is a Hobby
meant to be for spare time, (can't believe I actually said that!)
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 am

LNR wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:46 am A 2018 Christmas Special then (dig, dig.).
You'll get there Andrew, and the result will be worth it. Remember this is a Hobby
meant to be for spare time, (can't believe I actually said that!)
Grant.
Yes, Life does tend to get in the way of important things like Railway Modelling sometimes....... Bloomin' nuisance.

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Thanks guys, the encouragement does help. I'll get there, even if it does take a little longer than I planned. :?

Andrew

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:47 pm

It's been far too long since my last update. The trouble is it's been far too long since I made any significant progress on the CFLR! The hot summer prevented me spending any time in the cellar - the current location for the S&C assembly yard! You'd think a cellar would be cool but ours is a very dry one that remains a constant 20ish degrees all year thanks to a dehumidifier gently humming away in the corner.

I DID manage to get a few more yards of track down. I had a turnout 99% complete when operations were packed away for Christmas, I got the tie bar fitted and that unlocked getting the additional track down as far as was possible before I reached the stage where further turnouts are required. That's the next big job. Two more and I'll have the ability to run on a continuous circuit. When that's done I need to start and think about the terminus station area, which will be the penultimate stage of the build. I also still have some significant civil engineering to do in the form of wall construction and concrete paving. That's on hold too at present.

I did manage one steam up over the summer to give the new track the 'acid' test - but that's been it so far.

The CFLR management examined the works recently and discovered that they may need to employ some pway staff to maintain the woks already constructed. The contractor undertaking construction has refused to deal with maintenance issues resulting from the delayed pace of construction. This takes the form of vegetation incursion and work is going to be needed very soon to deal with this. Management are considering careful removal of undergrowth to use as planting material on newer parts of the works. The pictures will explain.....

Thymes are beautiful plants and very much in scale - but they creep!
veg thyme 1.JPG
veg thyme 1.JPG (191.36 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
The loop points have suffered at Woodhouse too
veg Woodhouse loop points.JPG
veg Woodhouse loop points.JPG (190.14 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
Somewhere beyond this is a tunnel!
veg nth of tunnel.JPG
veg nth of tunnel.JPG (197.3 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
And if you think thymes are invasive don't mention the lavender!
veg lavender.JPG
veg lavender.JPG (154.41 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
Hopefully I shall be posting further updates in the future and at shorter intervals than seven months!

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Welcome back Andrew, interesting to see how the plants have settled in, the line will look well established before its finished!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:31 am

On my recent trip aboard the Sittingbourne and Kemsley, the driver slowed down a couple of times so the fireman could attack the buddleia and brambles which were growing out over the line at head height. Seems we're not the only ones with plant problems ..... :?
vlcsnap-2018-08-30-08h25m01s601.jpg
vlcsnap-2018-08-30-08h25m01s601.jpg (97.71 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
Maybe one of us should set up a nursery selling railway friendly plants - I think it would be a goer! :lol:

Rik
------------------------