The Charnwood Forest Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Charnwood Forest Light Railway

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:34 am

I do agree, after putting in so much time and effort this the worst possible scenario. I know you will overcome the problem and have a superior final result. We will be watching and learning as you go.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:23 pm

Thanks for the commiserations chaps. You know what they say, 'a trouble shared is a trouble halved'. I think my problem is a combination of things, including those you have mentioned. I don't think I fully understood the properties of the materials I was using either and they weren't widely tested in the way I used them. There is definitely a lesson to be learnt there.

Philips point about accepting imperfections is perfectly correct. My aim for precision in the first place was to allow these to creep in and I can see that they would be manageable on a firm road bed. To put some perspective on this, in 'real numbers' terms we would stop the road at work for a 1 in 90 twist fault and that's with rolling stock that has well maintained suspension. Far less severe twist faults can fetch you off the road though, as any number of RAIB reports will clearly demonstrate, although there is usually a secondary cause - often poor loading, faulty suspension, or both. For this reason we get quite excited at work about anything over 1 in 200 when it comes to twist. At the size of infrastructure we are dealing with in 16mm scale 1mm in 200mm must be very common but even 1 in 90 is so small it would be hard to measure - and almost all our stock is completely lacking suspension of any sort. It's quite amazing what we manage to get over with our little trains.

I'm doing nothing in a rush - if for no better reason that the weather is rubbish! I'm going to do a lot more studying of the problem and read up on possible solutions, I've already re-read Rik's description of road bed construction. One possibility I am considering is leaving the Filcris in place but excavating around is as neatly as I can to a depth of - say - 4" and then pouring concrete around it to a width of 4 - 6" to form a solid 'ground beam'. Thinking about it that might even be possible with the track in place, it would certainly be less disruptive to the plants which are really establishing themselves now. It may be worth at least a test section. I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on that one.

On the positive side it is giving me the opportunity to consider whether any improvements could be made to the track layout or the alignment. I haven't got much room to play with but there might be one or two possibilities. I certainly might be able to include some sort of stream that I've longed for ever since Rik and Philip planted the seeds of temptation in my mind! It might also give me the opportunity to replace one or two of the older turnouts, they've hardly been used but my latest developments in construction technique give a better result at the most critical of locations in the track (the crossing nose) .

Right, I'm off to put my thinking cap on. A little 'thought lubrication' may be in order. Now, where did I put that rhubarb vodka! :drunken:

SVLR ANdrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:32 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:23 pm At the size of infrastructure we are dealing with in 16mm scale 1mm in 200mm must be very common but even 1 in 90 is so small it would be hard to measure - and almost all our stock is completely lacking suspension of any sort. It's quite amazing what we manage to get over with our little trains.
The thing to factor in is this regard is our waaay overscale flanges, which mop up a multitude of sins. There is one section of Rik's line which shows up occasionally in his video's and every time I see it it amazes me how stuff seems quite happy to dip and twist and rock 'n roll through it. ( Sorry Rik!)
Soar Valley Light wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:23 pm One possibility I am considering is leaving the Filcris in place but excavating around is as neatly as I can to a depth of - say - 4" and then pouring concrete around it to a width of 4 - 6" to form a solid 'ground beam'. Thinking about it that might even be possible with the track in place, it would certainly be less disruptive to the plants which are really establishing themselves now. It may be worth at least a test section. I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on that one.
All I can say from my own bitter experience is to put some rebar in if you adopt this approach, particularly if you have to pour it in discrete sections. My clay has cracked a similar construction in at least three places, two of which were at joints with no cross-joint reinforcement. Filcris being flexible would probably not be rigid enough I suspect
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:52 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:32 pm The thing to factor in is this regard is our waaay overscale flanges, which mop up a multitude of sins. There is one section of Rik's line which shows up occasionally in his video's and every time I see it it amazes me how stuff seems quite happy to dip and twist and rock 'n roll through it. ( Sorry Rik!)
It amazes me as well ...... though the six-wheel Southwold Cleminson coach really tests the trackwork - and sometimes fails. :shock:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:53 am

I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles Andrew - I hope the rhubarb vodka helped! We tried to make some once, but it tasted like floor cleaner...

I'm a fan of the solid trackbed, but that's kind of "how I was brought up", garden railway-wise - my friend Colin got me started, and his line was a major feat of civil engineering! I use scale ballast to get the track level, but like to start with something solid! Here in Brizzle we don't get too much ground heave though, so maybe that makes it easier? There's one section where a cracks emerged and the trackbed on either side has differing opinions on what level is, but any movement is slow enough that I can complensate by occasional reballasting.

Good luck with it all - it'll all look brighter in the spring...

Andrew.

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:53 pm

Andrew, not sure whether you need to be a member of ngrm but if you can access the site somehow, just have a nosey at this garden line, it may just give you some inspiration before you decide to start taking on a load of extensive and expensive remodelling. Cheers!

https://ngrm-online.com/index.php?/foru ... t-railway/

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:13 pm

Gents,

Thanks for the further sympathy and advice. They are most welcome!

Pippindoo,

Thanks for the link, it is restricted to registered users - but registering is 'free and easy' (as they say), so I have! The link looks very interesting and is well deserving of much closer study. I'm think there are going to be some good pointers in there. Clearly the expansion problems are very similar to mine. I've seen no reference to any cross level errors yet but I'm getting some inspiration from all the information I'm being offered now. There is definitely hope of the horizon.

Thanks all,

SVLR Andrew

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:42 pm

Glad you got to it Andrew, it's very much my/our methodology and I was sure you'd be interested in reading through it at least. I've followed his pages for a long time, and as it says he's a professional Civil Engineer too so I reckon he has more than half a clue what he's up to!. Onwards and upwards eh?!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:58 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:23 pm Thanks for the commiserations chaps. You know what they say, 'a trouble shared is a trouble halved'. I think my problem is a combination of things, including those you have mentioned. I don't think I fully understood the properties of the materials I was using either and they weren't widely tested in the way I used them. There is definitely a lesson to be learnt there.

Philips point about accepting imperfections is perfectly correct. My aim for precision in the first place was to allow these to creep in and I can see that they would be manageable on a firm road bed. To put some perspective on this, in 'real numbers' terms we would stop the road at work for a 1 in 90 twist fault and that's with rolling stock that has well maintained suspension. Far less severe twist faults can fetch you off the road though, as any number of RAIB reports will clearly demonstrate, although there is usually a secondary cause - often poor loading, faulty suspension, or both. For this reason we get quite excited at work about anything over 1 in 200 when it comes to twist. At the size of infrastructure we are dealing with in 16mm scale 1mm in 200mm must be very common but even 1 in 90 is so small it would be hard to measure - and almost all our stock is completely lacking suspension of any sort. It's quite amazing what we manage to get over with our little trains.

SVLR ANdrew
So, at work you wouldn't be happy with this? :dontknow:
:lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:18 pm

pippindoo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:54 am As a Filcris advocate, Ive learned its a very easy to use product, quick to erect, easy to cut, screw together and one big advantage is its flexibility. Ive noticed this numerous times on my railway when on a hot day, the whole frame can move outwards slightly as it expands, though ive never had anything even remotely like Andrew is experiencing. However, my system is approximately 15" high off the ground and so the legs supporting it have a bit of leeway to allow this flexibility, and the resultant resettling as temperatures change. The whole raised frame can, and does , adjust as one, and the flexibility of the supporting legs have the ability to bend slightly to allow it without any problems. I remember Andrew, when you posted photos as you started to bury your railways framework into the earth and thinking then that, being buried like that, if it was still prone to the expansion and contraction phenomanon, it could get 'messy'. As youve posted above too, your trackwork is very securely fastened to the framework, almost every other sleeper at some points, I cant help thinking that with any movement, however slight, wether expansion, contraction or frost heave, there just isnt much 'give'. Obviously, a concrete or block foundation isnt as prone to expanding and contracting. Just a suggestion based on my experience. It must be gutting to have such a distaster and i sincerely hope it isnt too much graft to put it right and crack on. It would be interesting to hear anyone elses experience of a 'buried' Filcris framework. I guess lots have used Filcris to edge lawns and flowerbeds but in that application its not really critical if it warps slightly now and then. Hmmm, I'm intrigued!
I have trackwork laid on Filcris, in place since 2016 for the most part. Some is buried in the ground and some stands on short posts approximately 4-6" above ground level. I have heard others complain about problems with expansion and contraction of Filcris, but can honestly say it has never caused issues for my trackwork. In particular, the track where Filcris is in the ground does not appear to move at all - I think the increased thermal mass from surrounding soil/ground actually prevents the Filcris from heating and expanding as much as that which runs above ground. The only difference I can see in the way Andrew has laid his track is the amount of fixing he has used. At most, I have pinned yard lengths of Peco track at each end and on curves in the middle as well. I then ballast with granodust and SBR to hold the track in place. Like Pippindoo, I wonder if your problem has been exacerbated by the frequency of track fixing? Even so, I'm baffled by the inground movement that has occurred.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:30 pm

Hello Andrew,

I think you probably have three problems affecting your track...

1. You have made the joints too tight. - If you got the hacksaw out, and went for 30' panels, you would add more 'wiggle room' just from the blade-width cuts.

2. Pull out a lot of your track fixings.. - Let it breath! You don't see 12" to the foot track 'ground-anchored' to the ground.

3. I am guessing you are getting a lot more movement in your built-up ground than you realise? - Wet ground expands. Add in frost, and it gets worse.

I am (admittedly on clay) and easily get 3 inches of heave, summer to winter.

I think (just as on the real railway) you will have to live with some movement, but the settlement will get less over time.

Sorry to be so pessimistic. This thread has been an excellent way to while-away a not particularly nice Sunday.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 pm

Hello All,

Well, it's been a whole summer since my last update! I'd like to say a lot has been happening - but it hasn't, not on the CFLR at least. Despite good intentions I've not run a single train all summer. I was full of good intentions but you know how it is. On two occasions I've hacked back the vegetation to make sure the track is still there underneath it! On the second occasion last week it was so bad that it actually disturbed the track getting it all clear. :shock:

A trip down the garden a couple of weeks ago, to escape from the 'home office' on a particularly bad day and to drink a cup of tea in the peace of the 'well' at the bottom of the path (looking back through the early photos on this thread will illustrate the location) put me at eye level with that really bad spot I've mentioned before. For the first time I noticed that both rails 'sank' into the joint over about four inches either side. Closer inspection (well, it was better than getting back to work!) revealed that the Filcriss itself was causing the dip, I presume as a result of it settling previously. What I have noticed this year is that the ground I built up during construction has shrunk away dramatically over the last two or three years, not just round the Filcriss supports but generally. This, I imagine (and hope) is some of the final settlement from construction. I know ground will shrink and swell but what I've experience so far has been far greater that that normally experience in our soil (and I've done a lot of other building up work around the garden and in the near by allotment). Others, here and elsewhere, have previously suggested that I may have the track too tightly pinned, or that there may be 'too much iron in the road'. Bearing in mind my profession, I thought I'd got the expansion gaps right. Full sized track is held in position by the ballast (in most cases) however in our scale the track is too stiff and the ballast too light to do this. Some degree of fixity is essential. After a lot of further consideration I've come to the conclusion that my joints might be a bit on the tight side. I still don't think the track is too tightly pinned but it's made me wonder.

So, having found this significant dip I considered how best to cure it. Re-setting the Filcriss would mean massive upheaval of an established part of the garden. I had my little cross-level out to check the track around the whole curve where the fault lay (only about 3 feet long) and found it was all over the show. I considered ringing Alton Towers again to see if they would be interested in acquiring it as a new ride, then decided it was probably too extreme! Bearing in mind the considerations in the previous paragraph I eased out a lot of the pins holding the track down. This was one of the sections I ballasted in ash last year so when I eased the track up to correct the dip and faults a fair bit of the ballast came with it. I decided that working more ballast in between and under the sleepers and then flooding it with SBR again, would be worth a try. This form of ballasting seems to give the track some stiffness but also allows it to move slightly, hopefully enough to take up any sideways movement due to heat without it settling vertically. Well that's my hope anyway. It's what I've done so we'll see what happens over the next twelve months.

Before I started this work I realised I was out of ash ballast. I took the chance whilst on duty at Loughborough to visit the loco ash pile with the intention of picking up a bag of ash to grind down for this experiment. When I got to the ash pile I discovered a heap of smokebox char dumped in one corner. This is much, much finer and is absolutely ideal for 16mm ash ballast! I made the repairs as described above and was so impressed with the appearance that I then embarked on a 'ballasting frenzy' which has seen half the lower section of the railway looking much, much more like a proper railway and less like something buried in boulders from the beach! I've taken a few photos so you can judge for yourself whether you agree with me about it being a success.
Ballast 21 1 (1).JPG
Ballast 21 1 (1).JPG (3.25 MiB) Viewed 3400 times
Ballast 21 1 (2).JPG
Ballast 21 1 (2).JPG (3.39 MiB) Viewed 3400 times
Ballast 21 1 (3).JPG
Ballast 21 1 (3).JPG (3.13 MiB) Viewed 3400 times
Ballast 21 1 (4).JPG
Ballast 21 1 (4).JPG (3.89 MiB) Viewed 3400 times
All the best,

SVLR Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:04 pm

I do agree Andrew, it is much more in scale than fine gravel and looks just right. I fell into the same trap by neglecting my railway for the whole season so far and had so much clearing up to do. It is now presentable again and I hope to share some running time soon.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:55 pm

That's looking great - crying out to be tested, in fact!

All the best,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:38 pm

Yep, I agree with Peter and Andrew, although to my eye it looks a bit too 'black' but I guess time and weather will ease that. Certainly the texture looks much better.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Good to hear from you Andrew.

The texture of that ballast is spot on. As Philip says, it will tone down in time but to my mind it looks perfect as is for station areas.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube