Vale of Fairway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Fair play, if you buy cheap 5 minute epoxy it may take more than 5 minutes to set!
A few slates won't go amiss but a job for Friday. The main building will eventually go where the lgb buffer stop is. There will then be a wooden crossing on the track to the platform.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:42 pm

That is looking good, baz
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:58 pm

philipy:109455 wrote:That is looking good, baz
I've just re read the post and thought it looked a mess! I do envy some of scenics of others but don't want to add anything too permanent beyond platforms. Would love a tarmac road but I'll have to make believe!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:20 pm

bazzer42:109457 wrote: I've just re read the post and thought it looked a mess!  I do envy some of scenics of others but don't want to add anything too permanent beyond platforms.  Would love a tarmac road but I'll have to make believe!
I love that island platform and its building. Looks really good.

Like you, I don't really have anything beyond the platforms - I just rely on vegetation. A lot can be done with a few strategically placed plants. Have you thought of ground cover such as thyme, Corsican Mint, mind your own business or even a small -leaved ivy? The photos on my railway are carefully staged to avoid, where possible, the background. Swivel the camera a couple of degrees and all I get is brick wall, back door or conservatory.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:30 pm

I was really just referring to the building, I assumed the rest was still a work in progress!
Having said that, once the track is complete, simply spreading ballast to hide the paving slabs would make a huge difference.

Btw, what is the origin of the Nissen hut?
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:36 pm

The problem we have is the copper beech at the end of the garden that creates quite a bit of shade. We have chopped a willow down so plants may fare a little better this year. Plenty of baby's tears by the riverside harbour station. Rather black at the moment but hopeful it will return.
I think some posters and fire buckets will break the building up a bit.
I think a photography course would help! Can't even find the zoom on my tablet....

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:46 pm

Philip, the nissen hut is the old style modeltown kit. I always liked the kit and bought it when they were selling it off :D A pig to fit the curved iron and doesn't warrant close inspection!
I like modeltown kits and figures and treated myself to a little brick gents for this station at the Exeter show only to find when I got home it was stone.....will be converted to a hut and the workings into a scratch built wc. I have drawings of a severn and wye kharzi so there is a precedent in the style of buildings I'm using.
If I use the same style buildings throughout will the layout be bland or consistent :?:

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks.
I think a consistency of style and materials is important, myself. It applies to real railways so why not to a model, even if it is imaginary?
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Slating Sunday was followed by gardening Monday to be followed by shopping Tuesday....
The capping ridge needs toning down and attaching to the building I started last year! Door plates, knobs and fire buckets still to be added.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Struggling to post pictures tonight, keeps telling me I'm a guest.... bizarre! The day has been spent shuffling blocks to create room for nice fir that was in the corner at the local nursery. Hopefully station road will come around the tree to the station. By placing the goods shed in various places I have decide to add steps up the side of the shed. I will do as Rik suggested and add some greenery to break up the blocks.
Good news from Roundhouse, Cricceth is ready and no charge for fitting the flywheel. What a company. Wonder what is coming Saturday??

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:14 pm

one picture at a time for this guest. Main station building to go where kneeling pad is. The short siding is for a cattle dock but how to site it?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Gratuitous pictures because it will let me. A better view of the site and preparations for a bollywood wedding at the harbour station. The camelia had a good year!

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Coming on very well, thanks for sharing.

As for the cattle dock, how about straightening the track and putting the dock with its back to the post and access from the goods shed approach?
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:56 am

I see where you're coming from Philip, the only snag may be that the concrete footings for the post may stop me getting fencing in. Although as I type this I realise I could sink posts at each end of the fence and dummy the rest.
I also wonder about a pub/hotel next to the station. There will be a level crossing at the end of the road so people can drive into a stone wall....

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:18 am

Baz,
Are you thinking of your pub in front of that raised bed somewhere, with the road going off to the right?

You could be clever and do a semi-low relief building. Put a flat front on the face of the raised bed wall and utilise the depth of the bricks to give it volume at roof level ( if that makes sense?). I used a simple flat fronted pub/hotel to disguise a timber shed wall behind my station.

Philip

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:28 am

That´s really going to look good. I like the way the buildings fit into the landscape.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Fantastic stuff, love the buildings, properly "light railway"... Keep up the good work!

Andrew.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:10 am

Anything Jim can do I can do with a little help from a ladder. A bungalow has some benefits and climbing on the roof isn't a worry.
An unstaged photo of a deadfrog point. I've buried six of the poor little blighters in a week. This ones dead buddy was sleeping on my engine shed base area. If it's any consolation their offspring are thriving in the pond.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:27 pm

There was a discussion on another thread about the ebay £7.50 vwmonkey wagon. I've put one together in under an hour this afternoon. It seems quite small compared to the Jurassic one plank wagon (which is a lovely kit as well). I might have to use it for quarry traffic along with my Binnies. It has a small weight from an artificial slate underneath and ran flawlessly.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Long time, no post. I have to confess to having a hankering for 7/8th. As an experiment I have tried grafting a baguley bonnet to a lgb schoema chassis. It is rather uncanny how it fitted. Still plenty to do and waiting for modelearth multi height couplers to come back in stock. Still unsure whether I'm red buffer beams or red and white chevrons. Body definitely green, exhaust up the front, on the side or mid way along the bonnet?