Vale of Fairway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:15 am

I tried something similar, cutting the posts from 10mm Foamex, which is nice and easy to cut and drill. The problem again cam from trying to tension the wire.
I cut angled strain supports for both end and notched them into the end posts, and then set them both in a block of Postcrete. That worked fine, but the Foamex itself is too flexible and just bends as soon as any tension goes on. So I think the answer has to be to make the end post and support from metal ( I think I'd be tempted to use brass rather than ali because I can solder it ).

However it still needs a way of applying tension, and as soon as you solve that then I suspect that the amount of force needed to straighten the wire is going to be much more than the posts can stand going round curves and the whole thing will 'straight-line' !

Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 pm

I did wonder about using the rods as pegs but more inclined to wrap the wire around the rear of the post and see if I can get a tidy wrap over on it self and then the same at the other end.  Perhaps I could cut some odd track lengths to make 45 degree post supports if needed.

Sorry Philip, missed the above post. I have plenty of aluminium angle that might also act as a tensioning post beyond the first and last posts.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:02 pm

Spent Sunday removing this bridge and then rehoming it on the forum. I am thinking about replacing it with something like this although yet to work out how to work the girders.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:09 pm

At last! After 3 months and two sets of parents moved I've finally had a spurt and filled the gap I created in September.  I will be adding a pier in the middle but frustratingly a full size house brick is too tall by the width of the bottom aluminium angle -1/8"....
Next job is to add some more wagons to the fleet. A trip to steam in Beds has added an Atropos corris brake and a Jims models shunters match truck.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Does everyone remember their first binnie tipper? They really are lovely kits to build, a bit of iron dust and some vinegar and hey presto. A little singe with the blowlamp helps. If ever I get round to an indoor layout I can see these wagons featuring.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Spring has sprung, the grass is ris and inspired by Rik's video I ran Cricket the diesel yesterday and got some of my railway mojo back. Spent the afternoon relaying the engine shed area from r1s ro r3 points. I have used acouple of used ones as a slight trim was needed and couldn't bring myself to trim brand new ones. This gave me a couple of spare points so have also transferred a short stub siding to the other side of the "mainline". This has created space for the signal box which now becomes more visible. Room for a small shed or hut me thinks :D
I have started an island platform building for the junction station but will post pictures later. I don't know where the winter went but apart from a couple of wagons not a lot to show for those dark nights but back on track now hopefully!
Enough enthusiasm to have a flywheel fitted to Cricceth but not sure about hiking it up to Peterborough.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:49 pm

Glad you got your mojo back!
Does everyone remember their first binnie tipper?
These must be the most ubiquitous wagons in the UK 16mm scene. I would bet that for many of us it was the first large scale kit we ever built!
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:34 pm

I must confess Jim that I'm kind of relieved. I feel sort of cheated that after taking early reirement in May I have achieved less this winter than when I was working full time. I still have to break the guilt of playing trains whilst the wife is at work!
Anyway, it's good to be back.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:37 am

Its a funny one this, I don't have much time to do anything railway related at the moment but when I do I manage to get a fair bit done in a couple of hours. When I had a month off on the sick last year all I seemed to do was waste time. I would go up the shed find myself reading old 16mm magazines.

As for mojos (or the lack of them) I do sometimes find that I look at my workbench and think why bother?

Normally the desire to do something comes back soon enough but I have two old cars in the garage under restoration that I haven't even touched for over 3 years

I do find that other peoples work is a great motivator to get my own projects going again! So keep posting the pictures!
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:53 am

bazzer42:109345 wrote:I must confess Jim that I'm kind of relieved. I feel sort of cheated that after taking early reirement in May I have achieved less this winter than when I was working full time.  I still have to break the guilt of playing trains whilst the wife  is at work!
Anyway, it's good to be back.
Glad I helped in some small way in the process. Looks like you've got a really interesting line there - will follow with interest.

Welcome to the world of retirement. I just can't work out how I did all that I did to my railway while I was holding down a time consuming full time job. I now wonder how I fitted the job in - so much still to do....
bazzer42:106259 wrote: Does everyone remember their first binnie tipper?
By coincidence, my first three Binnie skips arrived yesterday - they're going to feature on my 32mm mine feeder system. I hope I can get them looking as good as yours.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:40 pm

On the Binnies I have used Roy Wood metal wheels to give a little weight low down. After discovering the iron filings and vinegar trick i can't wait to try it on a shed or building.
I've picked loads of ideas from your site, want to have a go at casting wagons and need to add some plastic discs to my ip wheels to stop derailing on points.
Thanks again for the video, it has revived me. We've got a job on with the front garden but I feel an afternoon of five live and track realignment coming on!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:41 pm

Go forth and steam! The Forest of Dean isn't a million miles from here, and from the office window it looks to me like nice bright steaming weather...

I reckon we need a "Bleak Moments" thread on here for when it all seems like too much effort! A kind of self-help group for despondent garden railway-ers. Although you're right, it's inspiring pictures and films and ideas posted by others that generally get us (literally) back on track, so maybe a Doom and Gloom thread's not such a good idea...

Like the signal box, and yes, I reckon some TomTom-esque sheds and rusty clutter would be just the thing to finish it off...

Happy Steaming!

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:10 am

Andrew:109359 wrote: I reckon some TomTom-esque sheds and rusty clutter would be just the thing to finish it off...

Andrew.
Brilliant, Andrew

That's going to be my modelling mantra for the coming season
TomTom-esque sheds and rusty clutter

Rik
------------------------

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:46 am

Sometimes, things work, sometimes not. Last night I brought back my Accucraft NG/G16 from having some significant maintenance, and on the first test run the same thing happened again. I was decidedly unchuffed. But I will get myself back in the cellar to clear up the debris today.

I personally find trying to post something here from time to time a useful reminder to try to make progress. That being said, I´ve got jobs on the K&NWLR which have been waiting for "some time" to be done.

Good to find someone else in the same position. I wish you luck and motivation :D

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:25 am

No time to Tom Tom shed as I am harnessing this new found enthusiasm to complete the island building for Milbridge Junction.  The small waiting room and railway office will share a roof. The parts were cut in January so need to press on in between fixing a leaking shower cubicle :evil:  Thinking about it that has been waiting almost as long.....
if I can glue the roof on later I will post an in situ picture.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:29 pm

Fair play, if you buy cheap 5 minute epoxy it may take more than 5 minutes to set!
A few slates won't go amiss but a job for Friday. The main building will eventually go where the lgb buffer stop is. There will then be a wooden crossing on the track to the platform.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:42 pm

That is looking good, baz
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:58 pm

philipy:109455 wrote:That is looking good, baz
I've just re read the post and thought it looked a mess! I do envy some of scenics of others but don't want to add anything too permanent beyond platforms. Would love a tarmac road but I'll have to make believe!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:20 pm

bazzer42:109457 wrote: I've just re read the post and thought it looked a mess!  I do envy some of scenics of others but don't want to add anything too permanent beyond platforms.  Would love a tarmac road but I'll have to make believe!
I love that island platform and its building. Looks really good.

Like you, I don't really have anything beyond the platforms - I just rely on vegetation. A lot can be done with a few strategically placed plants. Have you thought of ground cover such as thyme, Corsican Mint, mind your own business or even a small -leaved ivy? The photos on my railway are carefully staged to avoid, where possible, the background. Swivel the camera a couple of degrees and all I get is brick wall, back door or conservatory.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:30 pm

I was really just referring to the building, I assumed the rest was still a work in progress!
Having said that, once the track is complete, simply spreading ballast to hide the paving slabs would make a huge difference.

Btw, what is the origin of the Nissen hut?
Philip