Amberwood light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Amberwood light Railway

Post by Maple » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 am

So I have finaly decided on the name of mine line and put some track down. It's going fairly well, Just waiting on my next monthly budget for concrete blocks.

Foundations for the first loop
ImageIMAG0068 by benmaple

And the track starting to go down now to, (sorry its a bit blurry). Need to start hiding the gravel now, this was left of from redoing the garden itself. I also have a large pile of Purbeck stone left for edging at the back of the loop perhaps?
ImageIMAG0110 by benmaple, on Flickr
'Professional Bodge artist '

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:02 am

Nice start. How big is that loop and what do you run?

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:58 am

its 3' radius and I run on sm32 track, the largest look is a Keith Bucklitch isibutu when I finish it( I have already tested the chassis on the curve) :D

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:32 am

Looks a good start. I have a similar ballon loop and the key to success is to make sure it is as level as you can get it. I have found that locos don't mind slight hills and don't mind curves but hate both together.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:01 pm

Cheers Dan, I made every effort to make it as level as possible but a test run will tell when all the track is down. All things point to it being level but its still a degree of blind hope :) . I should be able to test the loop this weekend I hope. I will have another at the other end of the line aswell

steamie1
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by steamie1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Anyone buildings is a good thing...Hey! Bodgers lived in the woods turing wood with great skill.

(I don't know when the name reversed its meaning, anyone?)

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:29 pm

steamie1:102897 wrote:Anyone buildings  is a good thing...Hey! Bodgers lived in the woods turing wood with great skill.

Agreed, a Bodger was a skilled wood turner living in the woods where his raw material grew and using a pole lathe to maker chair legs etc..

I understand that the term " to bodge" something is actually a corruption of 'botch' not bodger, and is derived from the Middle English' bocchen' which means “to mend, patch up, repair”.
It could be that the word Bodger is derived from the same origin but a different branch of the tree, so to speak!
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:43 pm

That's wonderful..... clearly this is the place to be for education and information! Oh, and brilliant garden railways too.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:42 pm

philipy:102899 wrote:
steamie1:102897 wrote:Anyone buildings  is a good thing...Hey! Bodgers lived in the woods turing wood with great skill.

Agreed, a Bodger was  a skilled wood turner living in the woods where his raw material grew and using a pole lathe to maker chair legs etc..

I understand that the term " to bodge" something is actually a corruption of 'botch'  not bodger, and is derived from the Middle English' bocchen' which means “to mend, patch up, repair”.
It could be that the word Bodger is derived from the same origin but a different branch of the tree, so to speak!

It´s Middle English for "repair", without the implication that it is work badly done. And in Old French, it´s probably related to "boche" or "boss", as we would say today.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:24 pm

kandnwlr:102902 wrote:
philipy:102899 wrote:

Agreed, a Bodger was  a skilled wood turner living in the woods where his raw material grew and using a pole lathe to maker chair legs etc..

I understand that the term " to bodge" something is actually a corruption of 'botch'  not bodger, and is derived from the Middle English' bocchen' which means “to mend, patch up, repair”.

It´s Middle English for "repair", without the implication that it is work badly done. And in Old French, it´s probably related to "boche" or "boss", as we would say today.
And you wouldn't get a response like that on facebook!

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:08 pm

One if the reasons I don't like face book. Glad that you guys like the loop. Payday tomorrow so more blocks soon. :D . As for the Borger. It's nice to think it could turn be an actuall profession

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:19 pm

long time but he is the progress. got a first run without derailing all the rolling stock the other day. the slip points where working but not with the binne rolling stock i use a lot of(to light and wheels to small), but the normal homemade points are fine. i will take more(and better pictures soon) i have lifted the slip points and put in the second straight rail section (just easier)

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:12 pm

The paint finish wa not so great, So we have been having a repaint while the planting and work on the steamers is being done. The builders rubble and gravel is slowly disappearing now. Will post photos when done :)

ImageDSC_0094 by benmaple, on Flickr

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:07 pm

A few pictures from recent workings, the home made Oscillating quarry hunslet is on a RWM Janet Chassis. The yard area is really starting to look the part. The engine shed is having all of its stone carved atm. And wild rose chassis is coming along nicely, the isibutu was sold as could not do the curves. And another small electric loco has been added to aid in operations

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:45 am

The funny thing is that in the version of 'English as she is spokken' used around my way 'bodge' has the sense of making the best of a bad job, whereas botch is making the worst of a bad job, but then the North is conservative about language, tha knaws!

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:07 pm

'making the best of a bad job' is more me i think.

Has anyone got any advice on two things, 1) working lever frames and 2) a regner Vincent ?( run time etc )

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:36 pm

Your home made Hunslet looks very good.

Chris Cairns

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Maple:112810 wrote:'making the best of a bad job'  is more me  i think.

Has anyone got any advice on two things, 1) working lever frames and 2) a regner Vincent ?( run time etc )
I regularly get thirty five mins plus from my Vincent. You have to watch the water levels though as the gas lasts longer than "one fill"of water.
Regards Graham.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Working lever frames : MODRATEC seem to make nice brass lever frames with working inter locking to your design. Their software "Sigscribe" is great fun to play around with if you like interlocking...

On a cheaper note. GEM make nice white metal lever frames with brass levers. No interlocking but quite sturdy. I have experimented with some very fine white metal "ground frame" kits (can't remember who from) but they can't put up with the abuse of actually working.

Vincent - 35 to 40 minutes on a warm day but as above, water little and often!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:12 pm

I believe Model Signal Engineering also make a frame. I don't think it is capable of being locked in itself but you can always make a locking tray through which the drive from the levers can be taken. I'm always mildly amazed that no one has produced a realistic working frame on a commercial scale before now. Pitch it right sizewise and it would be suitable for use with railways of most scales.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"