The B.E.R - The Rebuild Begins!

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:00 pm

Somebody HAS done kits of Sittingbourne wagons, but I can't remember who!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:30 am

They are no longer in production... I know.. I've searched in vain!
So I had some built by a friend :P
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:57 pm

I stand corrected Brian.
Now you say that, there was someone doing something as a scratch aid type thing (3d printing possibly) quite recently. I can't remember if it was 7mm ng or 16mm. I think a batch of them appeared on ebay.
They may have been done as a personal project for some one who sold a few to help the costs.
My humble apologies if I am barking up completely the wrong tree (or any tree for that matter) Woof Woof!
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks for all the comments. Laurence, were you the one with the article in Garden Rail? As its that article that got me thinking about it in the first place :)

I've spent today drawing them up using my normal CAD software (which is normally used for much smaller models in 4mm:ft) and come up this. I've ordered a test sample so hopefully it won't be too long before I have something to show for it.

Couplings will be Accucraft Choppers (so they match with my Leaders) and bogies by IP. If it all works, then I'll be a happy chappie.

Cheers,

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi Jon,

Yes that was me... I have the drawings for the pulp wagons and a friend built the chassis for me... They're a simple design that there aren't really that many of about in our scale...

Let me know if you want the drawings and how you get on!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:04 pm

laurence703:107648 wrote:Hi Jon,

Yes that was me... I have the drawings for the pulp wagons and a friend built the chassis for me... They're a simple design that there aren't really that many of about in our scale...

Let me know if you want the drawings and how you get on!
Hi Laurence,

Thanks for that. I've also got a set of drawings for the All Steel Wagons which is fine for my initial ideas for my Bowaters Stock. At the same time as drawing up the Wagons, I drew up one of the coaches (Coach 641 as running today) which has been cut out at the same time as the 2 test chassis.

When I ordered the first 2 Headstocks, I discovered I'd mucked the hieght up so I had to rapidly reorder a second pair with the correct hieght. Its safe to say this most likely won't be a cheap project based on the first coach and wagon combo.

Anyway, the first two chassis, coach body, couplings, 2 mucked up headstocks (2nd pair are due on Monday) and bogies have all arrived and been assembled. I'm very happy with how they've turned out and hopefully when funds allow, I'll be able to make some more......

The first completed chassis with the wrong size headstocks

Coach 641

Both Chassis together (One Wagon and One Coach)

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:07 pm

Nice!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Those look great! Did you send your CAD drawings to be 3D-printed? I'm impressed with how quickly you've got it sorted - I take months just to mull over an idea...

Andrew.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:48 pm

Is that the Australian version of vale of ffestiniog in the left of the picture?

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:08 pm

Big Jim:107900 wrote:Is that the Australian version of vale of ffestiniog in the left of the picture?
Nope, its what's left of my Locolines VoF that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Also its the wrong gauge to run with the rest of my stock now.
Andrew:107899 wrote:Those look great! Did you send your CAD drawings to be 3D-printed? I'm impressed with how quickly you've got it sorted - I take months just to mull over an idea...

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,

I got the end pieces 3D printed which were pretty quick (normally they take a lot longer but I'm not complaining). The rest is all wooden parts cut by a firm in London from my drawings.

I have plans for a rake of Coaches and a separate set of Wagons. Hopefully both will be about 5 vehicles long each. I've drawn up all 3 of the 1950s Build staff coach designs which will form the passenger set of 5 (641, 657, 658, 659 and 660). I've also got drawings for all 5 of the more common Pulp Wagons including a flat wagon (The 8 Ton Ones built for the original railway, 2 10 Ton Pulp Wagon variants and the 10 Ton Bagnall Flat wagons (same as the 10 Ton Pulp wagons without the headstocks)). Since other people have already asked, would anyone else be interested in these being available to others? Wouldn't include bogies or couplings but other than that, I'm still working out the costs for those that do want some.

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Any chance of a couple for me!?
Chris Auckland

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:47 pm

SpudUk:107908 wrote:Any chance of a couple for me!?
Sure! Which ones would you want?

After the second set of headstocks arrived today, they've been fitted and the Butterley Wagon painted to go with the Staff Coach. Plus since it was not raining/snowing today, I went outside to get a couple of photographs of them both together. Not had a chance to run them with a engine yet but I can say they will run around 3ft Radius Curves (slightly less than the Peco 2nd Radius Points and Curves although they won't run around reverse curves without a short straight between the curves).

Also while waiting for the headstocks to arrive, I've completed the other headstocks for the 8/10 Ton Pulp Wagons so hopefully I should be able to get prototypes ordered soon.

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:12 pm

They look really smart! I like the pulp wagon, it looks a lot more sturdy than my foam board ones.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:12 pm

Well this is slightly out of date......

Sadly the layout has been out of use since April 2015 due to various factors (like lack of time/will to want to use it). However after some thinking and the potenial that it might finally be installed in its final location, the layout has had a minor rebuild. Its now a 30 (soon to be extended to 34)ft straight which leads to two sidings.

Motive power is consists of the 3 Accucraft Brazils (although that's about to reduce to two hopefully) as well as a Roundhouse Millie and two IPE Diesels. Rolling stock is currently made up of 3 Bowaters Coaches No.641, 657 and 659 as well as about 4 Bowaters Pulp wagons to match them (see below) plus a small set of W&LLR wagons for running on other railways. Rolling stock should grow as various kits need test running etc......

Haven't run over the line yet in this guise but hopefully next week a train will run.

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:36 pm

I like those, will look really good in a rake behind a loco :D
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:47 pm

Well yesterday the line was run on by Excelsior with a rake of 3 Pulp wagons behind her. It went well although I'd forgotten how Excelsior looses power rapidly as the water levels drop.

Excelsior is my latest Brazil class (now one of two as Premier has been sold off) and features the original cylinders which is why I wanted it. Why with the original cylinders? Because I wanted something with a seriously different power output when compared to my Leader while sitting fitting in with the rest of the fleet. It is still capable of pulling 4 of my Sittingbourne wagons which is all I ask of it (and all the prototypes were capable of hauling).

At some point, I'm planning to buy a Superior to complete the trio if I can get my hands on one when I can afford one!

Excelsior when delivered last year.

Excelsior and train on the railway.

Rolling stock Bowaters wise, I've got another pair of Passenger coaches in the works (1 awaiting Bogies and Couplings and 1 on order) which brings the total to 4 along with 3 more Pulp Wagons (1 awaiting painting, 1 awaiting Bogies and Couplings and 1 on order).

I've also got two other coaches on order for another project but there will be more on that when they arrive.

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Re: The B.E.R - Construction begins

Post by angr607 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Well, new forum, time for a update. Things have progressed very slowly. The layout although operational, has ended up dismantled until I have the time to run it again (Hopefully THIS weekend fingers crossed) plus I haven't had much will to run trains. Until Peterborough that was :D

The track plan will stay the same at the long straight with a couple of sidings at the end although I'm going to try to finish extending it the full way down the garden to give a nice long run. Part of the reason for wanting to get the railway out again is these........

One Second Hand Accucraft Superior. Only had it nearly a year and still not run it........

A certain pair (now Trio and soon to be set of 5(!)) of Ffestiniog Coaches

I definitely think having spent the afternoon completing (as much as I can) and fitting couplings to my 3 FR coaches and now having a powerful enough engine to pull them, time to give them a run :D

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:32 am

Some nice work in those coaches, lasers have definitely change the face of kit making.
Grant.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks. Laser cutting certainly does make models I could have only dreamed about a few years ago possible. It means even this idiot can make models I can be proud of :D

Just one from today, I was planning on running some steam tomorrow but then I saw the weather....... I'll just have to wait until Monday!

That doesn't look half bad. Might have to dig out the station shelter I built a while ago to sit there as well........

Cheers,

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:09 am

I don't imagine you'd be wanting to get steam oil on those nice bare timber coaches.
Grant.