The Ridgemont Hills Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: The Ridgemont Hills Light Railway

Post by idlemarvel » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:14 am

Agree with the above comments. It's an exciting time when you have a "blank piece of paper" to work with. I imagine finding the time to devote to the railway will be difficult with all the other tasks involved in a new house although looking at the date of your posts that may have been some years ago. Good times ahead :sunny:
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:48 am

FWLR wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:35 am Love the garden and the possibilities are immense. So much potential to expand and enjoy so much, you have long runs, most would kill for, including me.... :lol: :lol:

Don't worry too much about members not replying, some just like to look and they don't find it easy to put to words what they think. I have had many a thread were members have looked and don't reply. I have put a video up on a line that only runs Gauge 1 just this week, but I haven't had any replies, just knowing members have seen it is good enough for me... :D

Keep on updating your thread with some photos of your build... :thumbright:

PS. Glad your not using Photobucket, those watermarks are annoying.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks, I want be able to expand as interest allows but I also want to make it a part of the garden not the main focus. I have little ones to think of so the grassed area is for playing also. I'm pretty used to the radio silence you sometimes get on forums, I have a thread I update periodically with my travels to railways with some interesting content, no replies but I see the views on the thread and video go up, if it didn't I'd consider not posting, but like you I know people see it. I abandoned photobucket a couple of years ago, prices went up and the website was near impossible to use and bombed with adverts - just couldn't do it any more!
idlemarvel wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:14 am Agree with the above comments. It's an exciting time when you have a "blank piece of paper" to work with. I imagine finding the time to devote to the railway will be difficult with all the other tasks involved in a new house although looking at the date of your posts that may have been some years ago. Good times ahead :sunny:
I have set myself a set of scenes/requirements that I want on the railway and I'm going to try and stick to it! :lol: The house doesn't need much work and I have largely done all of the tasks. The garden has taken more work to tame the greenery! Several weekends with chainsaw, hedge trimmer, brush cutter, strimmer and mower have left me what I have now. It gave me the time to think and get acquainted with the garden and as to how I was going to build the railway, I'm gald I did now looking back!

Update

I've gathered materials together for the starting of the higher section in phase 1. This section of track will almost be completely trestle construction and the limiting factor will be the boundary wall for my height. Having been out working things out, the height that I'm gunning for will allow for some ground level track and also cuttings to be dug, the more features the better!

Here we see the sleepers I bought a few years back for my last attempt (undocumented), they are laid out to work out the optimum locations for block pillars are going to be built.

I have company, an extra set of eyes never goes a miss! Give or take a couple of inches, the top of the concrete block stood upright is approximately where the sleepers will sit.

Next I have to order the blocks, dig the footings and get something setup.
YouTube ChannelImage

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 am

You have an amazing view from your 'garden' (more like a field!)

You could get a ride on railway round all that!

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:21 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 am You have an amazing view from your 'garden' (more like a field!)

I agree. You could get some nice gentle curves for a 5" or 7 1/4" railway in there with great views and opportunities for embankments and cuttings. Go on, you know you want to... :)
Dave Miller

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:36 pm

That is a wonderfully scenic area you are fortunate enough to live in, I know, from my own experience, the setting makes such a difference to the way you tackle your project and makes it a more enjoyable task.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:53 am

That sure is some garden and the views are absolutely wonderful. Stick with your plans on running 16mm though. You would have a garden railway that most and myself would die for..... :thumbright: :thumbright:

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:15 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:15 am You have an amazing view from your 'garden' (more like a field!)

Thank you, I consider that I am extremely fortunate to live where I do. The field opposite is birthing calves at the present time, lovely to see them wobbling about.

A ride on railway would be good but it isn't for me. I like my 16mm scale toys and they are easy to stow away when the day is done.
idlemarvel wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:21 pm I agree. You could get some nice gentle curves for a 5" or 7 1/4" railway in there with great views and opportunities for embankments and cuttings. Go on, you know you want to... :)
No more encouragement please :D
Peter Butler wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:36 pm That is a wonderfully scenic area you are fortunate enough to live in, I know, from my own experience, the setting makes such a difference to the way you tackle your project and makes it a more enjoyable task.
Thanks Peter, I am slowing catching up with your railway build thread, I watched it grow until around 2016 but now its just getting good. :)
FWLR wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:53 am That sure is some garden and the views are absolutely wonderful. Stick with your plans on running 16mm though. You would have a garden railway that most and myself would die for..... :thumbright: :thumbright:
Thank you. I will stick with the 16mm plans, thats where my passion and interest lies and besides, I'm too deep in it now to get rid! ;)

Update

I have to confess I am a little behind on the updates but they will all come in due course.

So I have worked out what the lowest point I can go, the boundary wall is only so tall and I want people to be able to walk past (public foot path) and not see the railway. Here is the mock up on the lowest part of the wall.

I was then able to laser over to the shed to work out the steaming area and I mocked up the basic platform. This decided that I would use the side of the shed to run the railway past and possibly introduce the tracks into the shed.

The following weekend I was able to employ the help of my Dad and a good friend. I had some blocks delivered and we were able to build the piers that make the main straight.

After this was done I was able to work out, with help from Dad, what radius curves I could get away with in the space available. 9' radius around the the steam up area and 8'6" at the temp loop end. Here is the section freshly cut out.

YouTube ChannelImage

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:52 pm

Thats some heavy engineering. Are you planning to plant something to hide the piers?

Don

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:57 pm

DonW wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:52 pm Thats some heavy engineering. Are you planning to plant something to hide the piers?
It's only heavy because I already had the sleepers and wanted to make use of them, why not put a railway on the sleepers? :thumbleft:

There will be wooden fencing to cover the void below the sleepers and hide the railway from the lawn view. I don't want too many horticultural commitments to just run a train. Things may change though, but there is no plans to plant anything at the moment.
YouTube ChannelImage

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:20 am

There is something very apt about using the sleepers and the fencing will make it all look tidy.

Don

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Looking very good it's crying out for a hudge bridge .

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:39 am

The use of those sleepers is brilliant, they won't be rotting away any time soon.... :thumbright:

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:08 pm

jim@NAL wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 pm Looking very good it's crying out for a hudge bridge .
Thanks, there is a bridge to be put in (see first recent post with overview) but it will be a lift out type to allow access to the grassy area. I am tempted to put a wooden trestle type bridge in somewhere though. :thumbright:
FWLR wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:39 am The use of those sleepers is brilliant, they won't be rotting away any time soon.... :thumbright:
I bought them a few years ago with the intention of putting a layout at my last house, it only had a small slabbed courtyard garden so these sleepers would have gone around the perimeter. They have already been outside for 3 years and still look as good as they do!

Update

With the platform position decided, I fixed it together and fitted it onto the side of the shed for the short term (until the line actually reaches the shed, levels may change). I made this out of wood that was donated to me from a friend who had these offcuts from building a garden shed and the thicker material was from a pallet I had delivered to work. Total cost £0.

Then it was time for things to progress from the sleepers to around the corner using the pieces I cut up in the last post. I bought some fence posts, dumped them into the ground and set about building the framework for the arch to sit on. Apart from the posts the arch was built again from donated wood as was the framework being a combination of pallet wood and decking board offcuts.

Here is the completed arch.

With the trestle now reaching the shed (steam up area), the level was off by 2 inches over 21 meters (69 feet), which could easily have been an error on my part of levelling the laser.

I had pre bent a piece of track to the correct radius to check clearances between shed side and corner.

For now that is all! :D
YouTube ChannelImage

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Nice work. That's dual gauge track (see I can be observant) what gauges please? 32mm and 45mm?
Dave Miller

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:11 pm

idlemarvel wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:49 pm ...what gauges please? 32mm and 45mm?
That would be correct. :thumbright: I have models on both gauges so this is a must.
YouTube ChannelImage

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:44 am

Hi Mark, Looking great!, what locos do you have on 45mm Gauge?
Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:04 am

You have been busy Mark. That you are able to get most of your wood free is a bonus... :thumbright: :thumbright: Are you going to treat the wood with some preservative...Like the way you have used your freebie wood to make the steam up area. I may have been tempted however to go through your shed too. You know something like the OO and N gauge guys do on the layouts for fiddle yards and the like. :)

The dual gauge track is a great idea also. Don't think of me being silly, :roll:
but where do you get it from..ie: Peco or somewhere else....

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:57 am

Wow that is a lot of progress. All looking very good 2ins in 69ft is nothing to worry about ( 1:423 I think) provided it is spread over the 69 ft.

Don

ace
Fireman
Fireman

Post by ace » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:52 am

Mitch stack wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:44 am Hi Mark, Looking great!, what locos do you have on 45mm Gauge?
Mitch
Hi Mitch, thank you. The ones I immediately think about that I have on 45mm, I have a couple of mss locos, Accucraft Dora, bowande porter, Accucraft ruby, cheddar/Grs tram and I have a G1 aster 64xx pannier.

I think that is all I have...?
FWLR wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:04 am You have been busy Mark. That you are able to get most of your wood free is a bonus... :thumbright: :thumbright: Are you going to treat the wood with some preservative...Like the way you have used your freebie wood to make the steam up area. I may have been tempted however to go through your shed too. You know something like the OO and N gauge guys do on the layouts for fiddle yards and the like. :)

The dual gauge track is a great idea also. Don't think of me being silly, :roll:
but where do you get it from..ie: Peco or somewhere else....
So far most of the wood has been free and gathered from my family and friends. It seems that they want to have a ‘clear out’ when I’m looking for materials. The wood has been treated now, didn’t bother to post the difference - just looks a slight different colour but it won’t be staying bare wood for much longer.

One of my dreams is to have some rails through the shed and that was my point in putting the steam up area right on the side of it. The shed is going to store all of the non precious rolling stock. I have plans to shelve it out completely with one shelf as the entrance from the railway.

The dual gauge track in the photo is actually tenmille, vintage of 4 years. I assume they haven’t changed it from then until now. I have some old wooden sleeper Tenmille track that has been converted to 3 rail ( Dad made new sleepers, what a job :roll: ) and peco sm32 can be and will be converted with an additional chair and rail. I just need to save for the points!
DonW wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:57 am Wow that is a lot of progress. All looking very good 2ins in 69ft is nothing to worry about ( 1:423 I think) provided it is spread over the 69 ft.

Don
I figured either I was wrong at the point of levelling the laser or my spirit level skills aren’t that bad. But either way the elevation isn’t that much to worry about. But thank you for working it out! :thumbright:
YouTube ChannelImage

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks for That, You will be Pleased to see some Mamodfication happening Down Under soon! Goblin is finally at the top of the workshops queue (1 Year Late) for its Rebuild . hopefully will go well on meths pulling my coach around.

Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway