Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:21 pm

I gave notice some time ago that the BURPS would be ceasing passenger and tourist trains shortly and that time is upon us!
Today, in fine weather, the management and staff (both me) embarked on the not inconsiderable task of removing, cleaning and inspecting, and storing, all items of structures, passengers and visitors, and other infrastructure not built to withstand the winter conditions.
Our last open day of the season took place here yesterday, so I was able to tidy everything away. Pictures of the meeting will be available under 'Exhibitions and open days'
I have been very pleasantly surprised by the condition of the items which showed very little deterioration over the past two seasons and recent very wet months.
The major cause of damage is probably me! I was a little enthusiastic using a scrubbing brush to remove algae and general grot, so some items now need a little re-assembly, but nothing major.
One of the structures, the Chapel, has some peeling paint on the rear wall, one which doesn't get direct sun, which I believe is due to my use of an emulsion sample paint-pot instead of my preferred acrylic paint. That proves the benefit of using quality paint.
Another structure has one small area where a crack has formed in the screed material I used to give a texture to the HIP. My fault again as I forgot to score the smooth plastic surface before applying the screed. All other areas are fine on all of the structures where the the same screed has been correctly applied.
During the build process of my structures I posted my methods for others to see. It was experimental at the time and no results were guaranteed. I think I can say with some satisfaction that they have proved themselves to be successful and I hope others feel secure in trying this for themselves.
This is what my forlorn railway looks like minus its embellishments, a sad sight indeed.....
IMG_6775.JPG
IMG_6775.JPG (169.91 KiB) Viewed 5145 times

IMG_6774.JPG
IMG_6774.JPG (150.92 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
IMG_6772.JPG
IMG_6772.JPG (175.74 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
IMG_6773.JPG
IMG_6773.JPG (94.79 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:57 am

Fantastic to hear that you only had a little bit of remedial work to do Peter. Shows if you do use quality products you will get a quality product...Though you are a master at doing quality Peter, has you builds and the way you go about building them show.

Just a little digress from you thread if it's ok Peter.

Your last photo isn't as sad has ours......

1CAD37C1-E46F-43FB-99A6-9C6C5C335681.jpeg
1CAD37C1-E46F-43FB-99A6-9C6C5C335681.jpeg (322.86 KiB) Viewed 5126 times

This was taken by Anne after our line was taken up. I will post the full story on my own thread when I am up to it later.....

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:54 pm

Yes Rod, not much sign of your railway ever being there now, however, your landlord will have no reason to complain!
Having removed my structures only yesterday, I was horrified to see the demolition contractors have moved in so soon.....
IMG_6785.JPG
IMG_6785.JPG (237.63 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
It is certainly a good job this didn't happen for my final open day, it would be difficult to make it tidy at short notice.
Other than that I have been dealing with the repairs to some of the issues mentioned previously.
This passenger was so enthralled by his visit he was stuck to his seat.....
IMG_6783.JPG
IMG_6783.JPG (97.63 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
The peeling paintwork on the Chapel isn't really a major concern as it looks entirely appropriate for that type of building where cosmetic damage in an area, not prominent to viewers, wouldn't receive attention requiring financial outlay. I might just leave it alone....
IMG_6780.JPG
IMG_6780.JPG (91.28 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
The front of the building is perfectly OK....
IMG_6781.JPG
IMG_6781.JPG (122.53 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
Elsewhere, the crack which has appeared in the screed will need attention. I have inspected the structure for distortion in the HIP, and there is none! This is clearly a case of poor surface preparation (by me!) and I will need to remove the damage and start again. However, I am certain that the method is satisfactory when correctly applied....
IMG_6782.JPG
IMG_6782.JPG (97.58 KiB) Viewed 5098 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:03 am

Peter, the cracked render looks entirely realistic to my eyes, that is exactly the way 'real' render cracks.
Of course it will tend to get worse if left alone, but I wonder if carefully dribbling SBR into the crack ( via a small needle and syringe ) might stabilise it enough to avoid wholesale replastering?
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:36 am

I agree with Phillip on the screed Peter. It does look realistic. Try what he has said, it may work.

The Chapel also looks good like it is.

Has for the chap not wanting to leave.That cheered me up no end.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 am

Honestly, Peter, when I was looking at the chapel on Saturday, I noticed the peeling paint and thought it was something you'd done deliberately. I was actually going to ask how you'd done it! The crack looks good too. The brilliant thing about your construction methods is that nature is now doing the modelling work for you!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Glad you got an Open Day in before taking your models in Peter. The damage doesn't look too bad, considering the amount of buildings you've made for your line? Good solid construction techniques, clearly!

I thought last weekend might see the last of the year's passenger service on my line, but that didn't happen in the end, so it may be sometime next week, which I've got off work - my few buildings will come indoors then. I'm planning a day of intensive industrial style goods train operation next spring before they go back out - not that half the wagons I'm envisaging using actually exist yet...

All the best,

Andrew.

PS Sad news from you it seems Rod, sorry to see your empty garden...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:25 pm

In between building up my collection of 'Rocket' locomotive models for next year's exhibition programme (see Open days and exhibitions, 'Rocket Man'), I have been working on a laser cut, plywood wagon which I bought last week from a model shop. This has been in the shop for about 3 years waiting for someone to take pity on it.... that would be me then!
I first noticed it when one of their customers bought a laser cutter and practised using it by cutting 4 wagons, which he constructed and offered to the shop for sale. It was offered as a novelty table salt and pepper holder, or similar, as the maker had no interest in railway modelling. It isn't built to a particular scale, (the wooden wheels were too wide for 32 and 45mm gauges and didn't rotate anyway!) but it looked as though it could be made into a reasonable item of stock......
IMG_6827.JPG
IMG_6827.JPG (109.97 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
IMG_6829.JPG
IMG_6829.JPG (112.74 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
Having removed the wheels and replaced them with steel rimmed ones running in bearings it is now a good runner. Binnie buffers on dropped beams have made it look OK too. It measures 11.5ft x 5ft (in 16mm scale) so fits in well with existing wagons.
A coat of paint has been applied and the strapping and hinges picked out and it is ready for lettering and weathering.....
IMG_6843.JPG
IMG_6843.JPG (102.85 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
IMG_6844.JPG
IMG_6844.JPG (88.1 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
Not a bad buy for a fiver!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:50 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:25 pm Not a bad buy for a fiver!
Good one Peter, for someone not interested in railways he certainly included a lot of detail. Your additions and a good paint job finish it off very nicely.
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:08 am

Grant's comments are more or lesss exactly what I was thinking, too.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:25 am

That's a beautiful looking wagon Peter. It's so good it will look fantastic on my line.... :lol: :lol:

Oh I forgot for a moment there, I haven't got one has yet....But soon. :thumbright: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:55 am

Some impressive detail, particularly below the solebar. The strapping looks a bit thick but sometimes I think detailing needs to be slightly exaggerated in model form otherwise it can get lost.

As you say, a fiver is a really good price for a wagon with that amount of detail. As always, you have a knack of picking just the right colour.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Another incredible milestone reached here on the thread..... more than 300,000 views have now been recorded and I am grateful to each and everyone who has watched and supported the ongoing story of BURPS.
I hope to continue adding to the railway stock, if not the railway itself, which I feel has possibly achieved its potential as a platform to play trains on.
For the small amount of use it gets, other than 16mm Association Local Area Group meetings, I tend to spend more time building stock to display at exhibitions and encourage others to take up the hobby. There will be more.........
Thank you all and keep on watching.
Peter.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:11 pm

Well done!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:30 am

Soon be half a Million Peter....Your'e the :king: for us other modellers....Well for me anyway.. :lol: :lol:

We all learn so much from whatever you do on BURPS. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Returning to the £5.00 wagon, I have now finished the paint job, added some lettering and weathering and a load of logs to go with other wagons I have. For such a basic construction I am happy with the result, especially when not seen in isolation....
IMG_6886.JPG
IMG_6886.JPG (131.09 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
IMG_6885.JPG
IMG_6885.JPG (125.4 KiB) Viewed 4958 times

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:19 pm

Another triumph Peter.

It's a lovely wagon. I like the livery too, very nice.

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:49 pm

And the colour co-ordinated load matches the livery too!
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:56 am

LNR wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:49 pm And the colour co-ordinated load matches the livery too!
Grant.
Agreed. Actually I thought the whole thing looks as though it had been parked for a couple of years on a forgotten rusty siding in an overgrown wood :roll: . Nice effect though.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:48 am

Nice job as always Peter.