Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:35 am

Andrew wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:11 am I do like how your village is looking more and more natural over time...
I have a degree (with honours), in Neglect.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:30 pm

After a general inspection of my structures I am really pleased with the condition of them all. Certainly the cast resin ones have suffered from peeling paint, but not too serious and easily restored. Nothing made from HIP has distorted, broken or become detached. The worst thing about the structures is the discolouration of window glazing material... clear styrene which has yellowed so nothing can be viewed inside. I rarely bother with interior detailing anyway, but shop windows did have displays which are now completely hidden.
A friend has used 'slate-grey styrene mirror sheet' in his windows and it looks very good. In most instances it is impossible to see what is inside a building (which is why I don't bother, but the yellow appearance is more noticeable so will be replaced.
I have made a shocking discovery however.... the HIP signal box was tightly sealed against water penetration, so much so it also prevented water from escaping from the only opening, namely the small diameter chimney from the pot-bellied stove. My railway has had no use this year so I hadn't noticed the signalman, who had nothing to do but go to sleep in his chair, had drowned whilst on duty! When I lifted the box it held about two litres of water, reaching half-way up the windows. After removing the roof and washing out the interior, then sealing the chimney, everything is good to go!....
IMG_9174.JPG
IMG_9174.JPG (131.04 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
IMG_9175.JPG
IMG_9175.JPG (139 KiB) Viewed 2186 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:40 pm

Swimming whilst on duty? Surely that can't go undisciplined?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:57 pm

The patination of algae on the roof tiles looks very realistic. Is it natural or painted on?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:43 pm

The patination on the roof is entirely natural and occurs on several of my buildings, although not all to the same extent. I have no idea why as they are all exposed to the same conditions and made of the same material with no surface finish. It is always damp here, which is why moss grows so abundantly too.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:32 pm

On the subject of roof patination, as shown in the previous posts, here is a good example of how other buildings, of the same age and in identical conditions, have not been affected......
IMG_9157.JPG
IMG_9157.JPG (165.22 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
This picture does show how the window glazing has yellowed and the shop displays inside are no longer visible. My next job is to replace it with slate-grey mirror sheet, (delivered this morning), so that just a reflection is given, much as would be seen in full sized structures.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:23 am

That seems like what it is in real life Peter.
Don't they say if your roof is facing North or East, that moss and stuff grow there. :dontknow:
On our roofs where ever we have lived, North facing roofs have all been full of moss and lichen, yet the South and West have never had any at all.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 pm

The minor damage to the structures is just about complete now, worst affected were the shop/pub signs, which were printed on paper, laminated and stuck on with Evo-Stik. The adhesive has held but the signs became sun-bleached, which is no surprise and easily fixed....
IMG_9172.JPG
IMG_9172.JPG (119.55 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
IMG_9173.JPG
IMG_9173.JPG (117.27 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
'
IMG_9188.JPG
IMG_9188.JPG (160.39 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
The last picture shows more replacement window glazing with slate-grey tinted, 5mm mirrored acrylic sheet. The effect is really good and should last far better than the clear styrene sheet, which went opaque.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:24 pm

Peter that is a clever idea - I would never have thought of using mirrored acrylic.

I might just try that myself.

Trevor

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:43 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:24 pm Peter that is a clever idea - I would never have thought of using mirrored acrylic.

I might just try that myself.

Trevor
I can't take credit for the idea, it was one of our local model group members who presented his engine shed using the material at a club meeting. It is a perfect solution as windows naturally reflect and I don't model interior fittings.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:34 pm

I have recently turned my attention to small industrial locomotives. A number of Youtube videos, filmed at Amberley Museum, and the Slater's Simplex I built not long ago, have inspired me to add to my collection.
The first (used) 16mm scale loco I bought when I started this scale was a ready made, kit built, 'Caravan', which I believe to be an early white-metal model made by IP Engineering? This has a 3v motor and carries two AA batteries. Due to it being either on or off, with no control over it, I never ran it. Yesterday I decided to swap the motor for a 12v one of identical dimensions, so no need to change the gears, and power it from a rechargeable, 9.6v, 220mAh PP3 battery, thereby allowing me to install RC. .....
IMG_9195.JPG
IMG_9195.JPG (103.07 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
IMG_9194.JPG
IMG_9194.JPG (115.27 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
IMG_9196.JPG
IMG_9196.JPG (105.42 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
The latest addition is the purchase of a ready-made, laser-cut chassis.....

https://bolelasercraft.com/product/ruston-20dl-chassis/

The body for this chassis is now under construction and is based on the Ransomes and Rapier loco, also shown on the Bole website.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:08 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:34 pm I have recently turned my attention to small industrial locomotives. A number of Youtube videos, filmed at Amberley Museum, and the Slater's Simplex I built not long ago, have inspired me to add to my collection.
I kind of know that feeling, Peter.
With no fixed purpose in mind when I started, I have of course, recently built the Wickham Trolley, the Chingford contractor and am partway through the De Winton and it dawned on me a couple of weeks ago that I now seem to have developed a penchant for oddballs! :roll: :lol:
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:38 pm

Christmas has come early, despite the best efforts of the Post Office!.. Elsewhere on the Forum I have mentioned my order for two models from new Forum members, 'Porterhouse Models', and the associated problems with delayed deliveries during the strike action. At last they have arrived and I am more than pleased, in fact delighted with both. The 3D printing is just superb, and the design detail astonishing!
Something I have wanted for some time is a 'Cleminson' wagon, but after hearing of the problems with making the 6 wheel chassis perform on curves and inclines in a realistic and satisfactory way, I chickened out! The chassis on this wagon has solved those issues in a most ingenious way allowing the outer axles to turn and the centre one to slide sideways. It also has built-in vertical movement at either end and 'floating' axles to allow for any sideways lift of the body.... wonderful!
IMG_9198.JPG
IMG_9198.JPG (65.99 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
IMG_9200.JPG
IMG_9200.JPG (75.2 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
IMG_9199.JPG
IMG_9199.JPG (86.83 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
If you haven't already guessed, I am 'over the moon' with this and desperate to get it in paint, just as soon as the cold weather allows!
Check out their website....
https://www.porterhousemodels.co.uk/store
(No personal connection, just a satisfied customer)

Porterhousemodels
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Porterhousemodels » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:08 pm

Hi Peter,
Glad the models arrived safely (eventually!) and you are happy with them.
Thankyou for the glowing write up about the models.
We have seen your email about the post driving band for the Spooners boat and we are getting some spares packed to send to you.
I have been reading through your thread and really like your layout and other projects you have been working on.
Hope you have a Merry Christmas
Best Wishes
Porterhouse Models
Suppliers of magnetic couplings and 3d printed rolling stock.
https://www.porterhousemodels.co.uk/
View our garden railway the Porter Garden Railway
https://www.youtube.com/@portergardenrailway7722

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:36 pm

Many thanks for your kind remarks, Adrian, I will try to do justice to your models.
The second model from Porterhouse was 'Spooner's Boat', something I have been thinking about for several years and, again, failed to find a solution in the absence of a 3D printer. I know Trevor has made one, which looks very good indeed.
This one has a motorised option, which I took advantage of as I don't have gradients, unlike Trevor. I can put a sail on mine and make it appear to be wind powered.
Again, the model is beautifully printed with very little sign of lines, although I have given it a slight smoothing which can be seen in the pictures....
IMG_9201.JPG
IMG_9201.JPG (83.12 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
IMG_9202.JPG
IMG_9202.JPG (85.64 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
IMG_9203.JPG
IMG_9203.JPG (82.69 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Just as the Cleminson, the detail is crisp and well formed. Although I know nothing about 3D printers, my feeling is that some investment has been made to produce models to this standard, but the models are sensibly priced.
Something to note is that they come pre-assembled, which is included in the price. In both instances, because of the complexity of the parts, I think this is a good idea.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:38 am

That six wheeled wagon does look nice, looking forward to your paint job.
Merry and Safe Christmas to you Peter and all on here,
Grant.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:43 am

Previous reply posted twice, no recognition of it being submitted and yet checking showed it had gone through. Then SQL Error came up.1-43pm our time.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:11 am

Fascinating to hear how the six wheeler chassis has been designed. I know from experience how tricky they are.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:07 am

Oooh, I could be very tempted by that Cleminson coal wagon, I look forward to seeing your paint job!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:13 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:11 am Fascinating to hear how the six wheeler chassis has been designed. I know from experience how tricky they are.

Rik
Agreed Rik, instead of the centre axle having to rise and fall it is fixed to allow horizontal movement only. The outer axles move in all planes and effectively 'rock' on the centre axle allowing for even greater movement... all very clever.