Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:25 pm

Very nice! Or rather a very nice model of what can't have been a terribly pleasant vehicle to be around... My guess as to the purpose of those two boxy things is that they were ventilators - open at the rear and bottom to allow air in but not light out. Just a thought...

I may attempt to run a train this weekend - it will be the first in some time, and I think it might be advisable to have an ambulance car on hand. The track isn't in
great shape, and casualties are likely!

Cheers,

Andrew.

PS Not been online for a while so missed your two most recent carriages - absolutely lovely, well done!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:41 pm

Very nice Peter, most unusual.
My guess for the boxes is that they were storage of some kind accessed from inside. There can't have been much spare space internally so maybe they were a kind of luggage rack tacked on the outside and cut through?
Philip

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:18 pm

I have always suspected they were somewhere to chuck additional supplies of field dressings, and other first aid supplies. Getting stretchers in and out of the wagon would have precluded leaving much on the floor of the wagon. One has to remember that in addition to those they were evacuating there was a constant need to get supplies to the field medics, especially given the numbers of walking wounded the major assaults in the Great War produced.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:10 am

Absolutely superb again Peter. How the blooming heck do you come up with these ideas...And the building of them and finished product is always 1st class....A master class in how to build in Plasticard......

By the way Peter, how do you get your wood effect on the card. I have tried and it comes out rubbish....

I have a little project that will be revelled soon hopefully.....Depends on how it turns out.... :lol: :lol:

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:14 pm

Very nice peter

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:31 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:10 am

By the way Peter, how do you get your wood effect on the card. I have tried and it comes out rubbish....

A little something in the post for you Rod!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 pm

Oooh nice.
I has better bring my Tin Turtle over to pose with it.

I think the boxes at the end are a bit of an enigma.
Roy C. Link's book describes them as "a curiously inaccessible lidded box". They may have been a misguided attempt at storage space as they held twelve stretchers stacked three high but one was left empty for storage as there was no room for anything else inside.

The majority of them were converted in the field from D and E class wagons. Kits of parts were sent over from Blighty
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:50 am

Big Jim wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:20 pm I think the boxes at the end are a bit of an enigma.
Roy C. Link's book describes them as "a curiously inaccessible lidded box". They may have been a misguided attempt at storage space as they held twelve stretchers stacked three high but one was left empty for storage as there was no room for anything else inside.

I think I must agree with you Jim, those boxes would be totally inadequate for the huge volume of dressings required for the dreadful injuries sustained and the variety of medication and equipment necessary to treat them. My thoughts are in the direction of primitive ventilation as suggested by Andrew, although there would be awful draught through the side sheets too! It's amazing anyone survived such a journey after being sufficiently wounded to need evacuation.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:38 pm

You will recall I bought two pairs of WW1 Swift Sixteen bogies so looked for inspiration to build another vehicle. The same book as before provided just the thing......
IMG_5984.JPG
IMG_5984.JPG (97.18 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
This is yet another wagon I haven't seen modelled elsewhere, ideal for my military train, so perfect for me to take on....
IMG_5983.JPG
IMG_5983.JPG (77.45 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
IMG_5982.JPG
IMG_5982.JPG (74.05 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
There is a minimal amount of raw material in this build so extra weight had to be added by means of sheet lead at either end sandwiched underneath the platform and above of the bogies....
IMG_5981.JPG
IMG_5981.JPG (88.32 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
I love the way it looks so industrially engineered with all of the strapping and rivets, it is purely functional.....
IMG_5988.JPG
IMG_5988.JPG (88.41 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
IMG_5985.JPG
IMG_5985.JPG (95.41 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
I need to make all of the side support rails and sockets before I can paint the wagon so that should be a task for tomorrow.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:22 am

Love the colours! " If I could sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow....."
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:39 am

Just love the way you work with Plasticard Peter. Those elongated holes in the side are brilliant, they look like they have been machined. Brilliant......

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:22 am

FWLR wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:39 am Just love the way you work with Plasticard Peter. Those elongated holes in the side are brilliant, they look like they have been machined. Brilliant......
I thought that too! I shy away from curves on the whole!

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Great examples of plasticard engineering. I thought the box extensions looked like the egg laying compartments you get on the side of hen houses when I first saw them, but assumed, like others, they would be storage for dressings etc.

I like the way you've represented the canvas covers. Is it roller blind fabric?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Found a review of the Swift Sixteen version, but doesn't mention or speculate on the purpose of the boxes.
http://ngslgazette.com/british-hospital-wagon-kit/

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks for that Rik, I hadn't seen the Swift Sixteen model before, there are details which I overlooked so possibly there is an original survivor out there somewhere to inspect? The boxes are simply referred to as 'storage' so could be anything.....
The canvas effect is done with curtain lining material, the edges carefully ironed and glued to hold position, the sheets are then pasted with PVA on the reverse and left to dry on undulating plastic bags to give some irregularity. A spray primer and finish coat of acrylic sets them in that shape and after gluing in position using Evo-Stik around the edges only they look fine (to me)!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:07 pm

The final detailing is now complete and the multicoloured stage of development is at an end....
IMG_5992.JPG
IMG_5992.JPG (83 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
This is my favourite part of the build when a unifying primer coat is applied, all of a sudden everything blends into one unit....
IMG_5995.JPG
IMG_5995.JPG (84.08 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
IMG_5994.JPG
IMG_5994.JPG (70.34 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
The stanchion sockets are now attached and rings fitted to allow loads to be tied down...
IMG_5996.JPG
IMG_5996.JPG (88.75 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
IMG_5999.JPG
IMG_5999.JPG (87.53 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
Ready for final painting now.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:07 pm This is my favourite part of the build when a unifying primer coat is applied, all of a sudden everything blends into one unit....
Me too!

The wagon's looking great - have you thought up an interesting load for it?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Lovely job, as always, Peter.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:50 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 pm
The wagon's looking great - have you thought up an interesting load for it?
Remember my railway represents a preserved/tourist line where all kinds of stock items are restored for use or display. As such there would be no 'payload', just something typical of the period, so I thought of a boring wooden packing crate with markings of the supposed contents.
I could fill it with armaments and WW1 soldiers to show a re-enactment scenario, but I think it would be OTT, and a little expensive! I might also end up explaining why I'm hosting a battle scene when all around them is in harmony?
If you have alternative suggestions please let me know.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:04 am

Peter, I don't know whast sort of loads these would ahve carried, other than as you say, packing crates. However I wonder if you could put something appropriately warlike, such as a field gun ( not a massive great howitzer!) which could also have been preserved by the local reenactment group?
Philip