Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:25 am

Thanks Rod, practise is the key, along with plenty of imagination.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:34 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:25 am practise is the key, along with plenty of imagination.
Talking of which, are you one of the attractions at the Gwili Railway "Rail Oddities" gala? I notice they list "16mm live steam models on display, including some 'oddities' (models of Roland Emmett locos etc)"...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:34 pm

Andrew wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:34 am
Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:25 am practise is the key, along with plenty of imagination.
Talking of which, are you one of the attractions at the Gwili Railway "Rail Oddities" gala? I notice they list "16mm live steam models on display, including some 'oddities' (models of Roland Emmett locos etc)"...
Yes, our group have been invited back following our appearance there late last year. I am struggling with what on earth I can display there to fit in with the theme, 'Rail Oddities'.
Today I drove past the Gwili Railway and the car park is absolutely packed with cars and a coach party, all excellent news.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:23 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:34 pm I am struggling with what on earth I can display there to fit in with the theme, 'Rail Oddities'.
Today I drove past the Gwili Railway and the car park is absolutely packed with cars and a coach party, all excellent news.
Congratulations on choosing red - you fooled us all :lol:
Besides your Emmet creations, I would think your fire engine and artillery pieces would qualify as rail oddities :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:51 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:25 am Thanks Rod, practise is the key, along with plenty of imagination.
I do practise Peter and it certainly does improve slowly. :thumbright:

Imagination, I have loads, too much according to Anne though... :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:18 pm

Time for a little more imaginative thinking... Lego has been used before on models for our garden railways, I seem to recall Andrew used some to make axle-boxes for a wagon? Recently I came across a Lego boat hull, which must be at least 30 years old from when my sons were small. I have managed to find other suitable boat toys to convert and place in my harbour scene and this seemed suitable to add to them.....
IMG_8929.JPG
IMG_8929.JPG (125.31 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
The first thing to do was remove the deck, which was permanently attached, and then glue the sections together. With a few strips of thin Plastikard stuck to the sides representing planking, a locker fitter to the pointy-end (!), and a seat at the back, a new row-boat was born...
IMG_8927.JPG
IMG_8927.JPG (150.32 KiB) Viewed 2587 times
IMG_8928.JPG
IMG_8928.JPG (155.41 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:28 pm

Clever!!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:56 am

Yes very clever. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:35 am

In February 2020 I built a set of three four wheel coaches from Jerry Irwin and put some images on the Forum in my thread....
IMG_6984.JPG
IMG_6984.JPG (125.04 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
I received a reply ......
Peter Butler wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:37 pm
philipy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:41 am They do look good together and are a beautiful bit of modelling Peter. Can't say I'm enamoured of that shade of green myself, but your railway your rules!
I appreciate your comments Philip and expected some reaction about the colour scheme.... I said in an earlier post that It wasn't to everyone's taste but I am getting a bit tired of standard maroon etc..... so introduced a splash of colour. It has been done in the real world of course, the Leek and Manifold Light Railway had beautiful yellow carriages which looked superb, although unconventional!
They clearly have my 'name' on them.
....and my response was as shown above.
I had used a random choice of spray-paint from my stock available at the time and thought I might produce something which was different to the norm, but acceptable as sometimes used on 'tourist railways' as an excuse. Since that time my carriages have been hidden away in a box and never used on my railway.
So... time for a re-think.
My preferred method of painting is to spray the main body first and the overlays separately, which was done to these. I now had the problem of filling in the panels and touching-up the overlays where paint, inevitably, ended up in the wrong place, not something I recommend to anyone!
However, with a steady hand, and some touching-up, I have managed to complete the task and I have to say I am delighted with the result....
IMG_9030.JPG
IMG_9030.JPG (113.38 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
IMG_9031.JPG
IMG_9031.JPG (107.42 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
I think my colour pallet has matured since then and I will be more cautious in future... Thanks Philip.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:57 am

Hmmm.... think I prefer the gre.....! No, I'm joking. Very nice Peter and congrats on the steady hand. :D
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:27 am

Well I like both of them, but it's yours to do as you please. It's your line after all, that's what matters more doesn't it Peter.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:33 am

Wow! It's amazing that you've managed to keep up your high standard of finish with a retro-fit. They look great!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:11 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:35 am However, with a steady hand, and some touching-up, I have managed to complete the task and I have to say I am delighted with the result....
Where do you get these 'steady hand' thingies....... I need a matched pair. :roll:

I can see some changes to detail parts on the models, but I can't see anything suggesting a repaint. The models are still up to your usual high standard of paint finish.
Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:35 am I think my colour pallet has matured since then and I will be more cautious in future...
Hmmmm, I looked, but couldn't find a smilie with a raised eyebrow as a response to that......

Regards,
Graeme

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:40 pm

I discovered something today which I thought I would share with you all....
One of the 3D standing loco driver figures I have has both arms stretched forward, but not at the correct height, so.... as an experiment I tried to lower one arm by about 4mm in order to grasp a control lever. In order to achieve this I used a 75w soldering iron held immediately below the elbow, but not touching, whilst gently applying pressure to lower the arm. After about a minute or so I felt the arm soften enough to move to the desired position and held it until it cooled.
This worked so well it didn't even damage the acrylic paint on the figure. I hope this might be useful information.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:48 pm

Just arrived in the post today, a new kit from Jerry Irwin.....
IMG_9057.JPG
IMG_9057.JPG (101.24 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
IMG_9056.JPG
IMG_9056.JPG (112.54 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
A beautifully detailed resin kit of a boiler, firebox and smokebox unit, awaiting repair/maintenance.
It is available on eBay ....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363950146107
... and construction information on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/PHbk03qC4UY?rel=0

I plan to mount this on a bogie flat/well wagon and site it at my engine shed awaiting repair.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:00 pm

Those are too nice to leave sitting around..they are crying out for wheels and motor!
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:04 am

I agree with Phillip. Looking on the YouTube page it is a fairly simple build, had to smile a little bit when it fell apart, happens to the best too... :lol:

Can you get any of the parts needed for the firebox from anywhere. :thumbup:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:31 pm

Very nice!

I've been thinking about making a similar load for my own well wagon - this might be the answer...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:15 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:00 pm Those are too nice to leave sitting around..they are crying out for wheels and motor!
Perhaps a sort of half-way compromise would do? I have discovered this video since my first post idea....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLtyr1 ... pQ&index=6

and there is a lovely image of 'Tom Rolt' on the Talyllyn Railway under development. See at ... 3m32sec. Not quite in running order but at least on its wheels. This would make a more interesting project and an even better looking static model.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:38 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:15 pm Perhaps a sort of half-way compromise would do? I have discovered this video since my first post idea....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLtyr1 ... pQ&index=6

and there is a lovely image of 'Tom Rolt' on the Talyllyn Railway under development. See at ... 3m32sec. Not quite in running order but at least on its wheels. This would make a more interesting project and an even better looking static model.
Ooh, I like that!