Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by FWLR » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:49 pm

Who are others………………..

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:48 pm

Yesterday afternoon was the first opportunity to get outside to paint my new wall sections. Up until then we have had annoying rain, not heavy but enough to prevent me working. All of the walls are finished now which means I need another full dry day to lay the road surface......
IMG_5679.JPG
IMG_5679.JPG (139.64 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
IMG_5680.JPG
IMG_5680.JPG (151.81 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
The weather forecast here is for cooler weather but unsure about rain.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:29 pm

They look great Peter. How are the knees?
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Amazing!
Knees are one thing, but how about the sanity?
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:49 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:44 pm Amazing!
Knees are one thing, but how about the sanity?
I think if conditions are right, this sort of task can be very therapeutic, I find :D Physically, it tends to be my shoulders that suffer - I always seem to rest on one hand or the other whilst working, with the body weight up through my shoulder. A kneeling mat is also good for sitting on.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:33 pm

I have to admit I'm glad it's over! It required a lot of kneeling on a concrete surface, albeit with a kneeler, but still not good for the old bones. Secondly it was all low level which put a lot of weight (yes I know I carry more than I should) on my left palm and up my arm. Luckily my neck and shoulders coped well and today I feel fine. One of those jobs which I like to finish at one sitting rather than leave knowing I have to go through it again.
I have always had the philosophy of doing the worst or hardest jobs first and not leaving 'till last, after that everything seems easier.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:05 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:33 pm I have always had the philosophy of doing the worst or hardest jobs first and not leaving 'till last, after that everything seems easier.
A good idea I reckon, and one I've been thinking about - I've vowed to myself to start with the droplights next time I build a carriage... That said, it's not always apparent what the worst or hardest job is until you reach it, particularly if you're trying something new...

Anyway, the walls look great, looking forward to seeing more...

All the best,

Andrew

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:02 pm

I see the need to ship Peter to down under and have him design and construct the villages for the POR
:-)
Bravo, I enjoy seeing your work in progress pics, please keep them flowing .
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:02 pm I see the need to ship Peter to down under.....
I'm at your disposal kind sir.... I even have a cousin situated there, although I doubt she would be conveniently located to just drop-in?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:46 pm

As previously mentioned, a dry day was all that I needed to proceed with the road laying and today I got my wish. After such a wet and squally day yesterday I was amazed at the conditions today which were perfect... no rain, no wind, sunshine and warm, just right!
So... out with the trusty wheelbarrow (again) and plenty of coarse sand, cement, black powder (not the explosive kind!) and SBR to create a nice black road surface effect. It took three (+) loads to complete the job, and most of the day as I was also left in charge of the dogs, as well as feeding both of them and myself, something I am not usually responsible for. However, the result is most satisfying and makes the scene much more coherent....
IMG_5685.JPG
IMG_5685.JPG (163.02 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
IMG_5686.JPG
IMG_5686.JPG (137.68 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
IMG_5684.JPG
IMG_5684.JPG (167.85 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
At the moment it is under my 30 sq. m. tarpaulin which I purchased to roll-out over the village during the winter months, this project is still being considered as a yachting friend advises against it. At least it will offer some protection against rain and wild beasts while it gets a chance to set....
IMG_5688.JPG
IMG_5688.JPG (139.71 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
IMG_5689.JPG
IMG_5689.JPG (151.97 KiB) Viewed 5274 times

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 pm

That is one of the best bits of garden railway roadway I've ever seen, looks very convincing. The colours does look bob on for freshly laid tarmac which perhaps isn't quite what you were going for although I'm sure it will soon weather in.
When is the first utility company coming in to dig some of it up...? :lol:
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks for the compliment, I'm still playing with new ideas at the moment just to make my vision a reality. If you have seen others as comparison I would be interested to see what they have managed to achieve and what materials they use.
I agree the colour is striking at the moment, firstly because it is still wet and secondly, from experience, I know it will fade in time.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:05 am

Superb as always Peter.
To me, one of the most impressive things is that you manged to get it to butt up to the pre-existing walls etc without getting black halfway up them! How did you do that?
Yes it does look very black and even, atm, but I'm sure that will soon weather down. Starting from the top of your latest post, one of my first thoughts was "Its going to throw it down today, hope you cover it", so I was glad to see that you did.
I'd tend to agree with your sailing friend about the potential dangers of a large tarpaulin. We have a cover over a swinging bench seat and the wind pulls it off at least 2 or 3 times every winter and when it isn't pulling the cover off it simply shifts the whole thing around instead.
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:18 am

It will probably fade as it dries as you say. Any work I've done with masonry colours or cement never dries the same colour as wet. Like Phili says the tarpaulin is going to be needed today!

I like the wider shots that show how the village blends in and how the road crosses the railway. Here's hoping this isn't the end of the good weather so we get to see the complete scene before 2019.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:27 am

Looks great Peter. You've managed to get a remarkably consistent colour to the roadway especially considering it took 3+ mixes.

Out of interest, what are the potential problems with the tarp cover envisaged by your friend? Is it something to do with a damp micro-climate being created underneath it?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:31 am

I agree with Bazzer. Fingers crossed for more good weather so we get to see more of this magnificent build.
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:51 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:27 am
Out of interest, what are the potential problems with the tarp cover envisaged by your friend?
Being a yachtsman he is well aware of the strength of the wind and has seen the results of damage caused by sails and protective sheets flapping about against hulls etc. I have tried to think through a method of ensuring the tarpaulin would be well secured on all sides and stainless steel cables used to support it through eyes and additional edging to prevent it tearing. I fear that if it does rip it will completely destroy my houses and it is probably safer to put them in a shed over winter.
bazzer42 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:18 am It will probably fade as it dries as you say. Any work I've done with masonry colours or cement never dries the same colour as wet.

Looking back at my previous roadway, which I laid in much the same colour mix, I can see how much the black has become grey over time....
IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3639.JPG (164.29 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
For now I am content with the colour as it represents the laying of new surface through the village which has undergone a complete refurbishment to encourage more tourists to visit and spend much needed cash.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:14 pm

It looks great Peter and will weather over time.

I would heed your friends advice though as you will be gutted if the houses get damaged.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks Tom, I'm sure you are right and I will take his advice, personal experience is usually the best source of information.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:31 pm

Yes, like covering up SBR treated ballast :thumbup:

I bring my buildings in now in the winter. I had an issue with it first in that it didn't feel right and some how cheating (maybe my head needs help) but I am glad I got over it as it saves them from being damaged.