Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:11 am

Brilliant again Peter. You do have a way with solving problems and still look fantastic at the end.

Are you keeping the colour or giving it a paint job only you can :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:36 am

A neat and very apt solution.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:37 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:11 am

Are you keeping the colour or giving it a paint job only you can :thumbright:
Not quite sure I understand the question Rod.... The loco model didn't just arrive that way; when I built it I painted it white, just as they are usually shown. I guess it was to enable them to be seen in underground locations where dark colours might not have been appropriate? My railway represents a preservation line, so, as an industrial loco, it is preserved as it would have been when in use. I hope that answers your question.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:21 am

I meant 'Sparky' Peter. But I do see your point on the colour. :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:56 am

I like that Peter!

I know this one's not powered, but wouldn't it look great hauling a rake of tubs round a "micro-layout" set in a coal mine?

I'm getting into this now, but you could build some of those metal bodied "man rider" carriages to go with it...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:04 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:56 am

I know this one's not powered, but wouldn't it look great hauling a rake of tubs round a "micro-layout" set in a coal mine?

Andrew.... what are you trying to do to me? The last thing I need is encouragement to build another layout!
But.... at our last model group meeting we discussed the possibility of constructing a small layout to take to shows, so the first seed has already been sown.
We are not a model railway group, and there are only a small number (about 3) of 16mm modellers, but enough to get something moving. Certainly a micro-layout would be practical as I could get it in my car..... aaaargh!!!! I'm falling for it already.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:22 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:04 pm
Andrew wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:56 am

Andrew.... what are you trying to do to me? The last thing I need is encouragement to build another layout!
But.... at our last model group meeting we discussed the possibility of constructing a small layout to take to shows, so the first seed has already been sown.
We are not a model railway group, and there are only a small number (about 3) of 16mm modellers, but enough to get something moving. Certainly a micro-layout would be practical as I could get it in my car..... aaaargh!!!! I'm falling for it already.
Oh no, sorry Peter!

I think my brain is hardwired to come up with layout designs as a result of practically learning to read on Railway Modeller... Personally, I'm thinking your little battery loco, plus a couple of others, would look great circling a kind of double-decker layout, with dimly lit tunnels below ground, and winding gear and general industrial detritus above.

Actually, I am considering a micro layout of my own, but in 009. My wife has a large Ikea "Kallax" set of shelves for her pottery stuff, which is split into 25 cubes. Ikea also sell an insert with a glass door - I'm thinking that, if she'll let me borrow a cube, I could build a tiny cube-shaped layout, with one of Bachmann's new Quarry Hunslets pulling a short rake of slate wagons through dramatic Welsh scenery, all neatly enclosed in a little glass-fronted box...

Enjoy the rest of your weekends all!

Andrew

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:51 pm

Brilliant modelling as usual Peter.
Very smart to think of a permanently coupled pair.
(I can just see them running around my new indoor layout)
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:00 pm

gregh wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:51 pm Brilliant modelling as usual Peter.
Very smart to think of a permanently coupled pair.
(I can just see them running around my new indoor layout)
Thanks Greg, a different approach to the normal, I think, and plenty of scope to make alternative small locomotives which can be paired with 'Sparky'.
A tiny two-pin plug is all that connects the two, so easily swapped over.

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:06 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:00 pm
Thanks Greg, a different approach to the normal, I think, and plenty of scope to make alternative small locomotives which can be paired with 'Sparky'.
A tiny two-pin plug is all that connects the two, so easily swapped over.
An even smarter idea. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:40 pm

Well, it's that time of year when I need to put all of my houses and other structures into hibernation. Each year, about this time, I do a quick health check, wash and brush-up, and repair any minor blemishes. The first of my HIP (Plastikard) structures appeared in 2015 and are still in great condition now. They are all left outdoors from about April until November, and have withstood some (rare) seriously hot and dry conditions, also torrential rain and very strong winds. Descriptions of their construction and materials used are in earlier posts, so the length of time each has been exposed to the weather proves their resilience.
As previously mentioned, the commercially produced materials, particularly resin moulded roof sections, have fared less well than HIP ones.....
IMG_9156.JPG
IMG_9156.JPG (156.07 KiB) Viewed 1714 times

I have found the acrylic paint I use has tended to peel off resin. There is only one HIP building, the Chapel, which shows evidence of peeling paint, and the reason for this oddity is that I used emulsion paint on my usual grey primer, instead of acrylic paint. However, the effect is very pleasing and prototypical where maintenance on such a building would probably have been minimal.....
IMG_9154.JPG
IMG_9154.JPG (139.9 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Overall, the buildings have mellowed and matured with the solid colour gently fading and taking on a less harsh appearance....
IMG_9157.JPG
IMG_9157.JPG (165.22 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
IMG_9160.JPG
IMG_9160.JPG (154.3 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
What I am less pleased about is the disappearance of four of my resin dustbins, which some creature has decided their need is greater than mine!

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:04 am

That natural weathering effect is about par for the course, in my experience.
I love the peeling paint on the chapel, that looks exactly right to my eyes.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:47 am

Time does that to everything Peter, unfortunately for us it not as pleasing for some.. :lol: :lol:

Your'e building however, are even more superb, they were superb before mind and now they look even more realistic. :thumbleft:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:02 am

I wonder who stole your dustbins. Jackdaws, squirrels, rooks/crows??

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:11 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:02 am I wonder who stole your dustbins. Jackdaws, squirrels, rooks/crows??
Tiny dustmen?

I need to bring my buildings in too. They've not weathered quite as pleasingly as yours (some minor structural repairs will be required as well as a little spot repainting), but they're doing remarkably well. I do like how your village is looking more and more natural over time...

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:35 am

Andrew wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:11 am I do like how your village is looking more and more natural over time...
I have a degree (with honours), in Neglect.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:30 pm

After a general inspection of my structures I am really pleased with the condition of them all. Certainly the cast resin ones have suffered from peeling paint, but not too serious and easily restored. Nothing made from HIP has distorted, broken or become detached. The worst thing about the structures is the discolouration of window glazing material... clear styrene which has yellowed so nothing can be viewed inside. I rarely bother with interior detailing anyway, but shop windows did have displays which are now completely hidden.
A friend has used 'slate-grey styrene mirror sheet' in his windows and it looks very good. In most instances it is impossible to see what is inside a building (which is why I don't bother, but the yellow appearance is more noticeable so will be replaced.
I have made a shocking discovery however.... the HIP signal box was tightly sealed against water penetration, so much so it also prevented water from escaping from the only opening, namely the small diameter chimney from the pot-bellied stove. My railway has had no use this year so I hadn't noticed the signalman, who had nothing to do but go to sleep in his chair, had drowned whilst on duty! When I lifted the box it held about two litres of water, reaching half-way up the windows. After removing the roof and washing out the interior, then sealing the chimney, everything is good to go!....
IMG_9174.JPG
IMG_9174.JPG (131.04 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
IMG_9175.JPG
IMG_9175.JPG (139 KiB) Viewed 2185 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:40 pm

Swimming whilst on duty? Surely that can't go undisciplined?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:57 pm

The patination of algae on the roof tiles looks very realistic. Is it natural or painted on?

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:43 pm

The patination on the roof is entirely natural and occurs on several of my buildings, although not all to the same extent. I have no idea why as they are all exposed to the same conditions and made of the same material with no surface finish. It is always damp here, which is why moss grows so abundantly too.