Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Fri May 08, 2020 8:40 pm

Returning to the 'Lineside Hut' Bug Box,....this is the time to select the carriage type you wish to build, as previously stated, there are either glazed windows or window blanks which can be installed....
IMG_7238.JPG
IMG_7238.JPG (110.11 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
IMG_7237.JPG
IMG_7237.JPG (111.28 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
The glazing supplied is amazing, it is precisely cut/moulded into well fitting panels of 2mm and 3mm thickness. The 3mm are the smaller ones which represent fixed glazing, the 2mm ones allow for drop-light frames (supplied) to be fitted, surrounding the glazing and beneath the outer overlay.
IMG_7261.JPG
IMG_7261.JPG (113.45 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
Final detailing includes buffers and roof lamp-top in whitemetal (looks large to me so replaced with vent).
Completed as per the instructions the finished vehicle looks very nice....
IMG_7264.JPG
IMG_7264.JPG (100.72 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
IMG_7270.JPG
IMG_7270.JPG (81.97 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
But...... as shown earlier, the axle-boxes are fixed height with no option included to alter the ride height, which is very low indeed... only 5-6mm above rails. I doubt this would be acceptable in many garden railways as track-side obstructions are usually there to catch the unwary. To increase the ride height I fitted 3mm strips between the axle boxes and the underfloor to lower the wheel-sets.
IMG_7261.JPG
IMG_7261.JPG (113.45 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
This has brought the coach into line with the others.
Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed building this kit which has proved to be detailed, very well planned in design and construction, made of superior ply material and gives a choice of two types of coach in one kit.
Value for money.... very good indeed and highly recommended.

Edit.... the sequence of pictures appears different to that in my text... some are duplicated and others out of place. Sorry, they are relevant to the post anyway.
Attachments
IMG_7263.JPG
IMG_7263.JPG (96.55 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri May 08, 2020 9:14 pm

The third of my Bug Box kits is from Jeremy Irwin, he has a list of available kits here.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/107486657 ... 8655086333
The Bug Box I bought is the 'Porthole Carriage' which is laser cut in MDF and available with plastic wheels at £ 34.00 or metal wheels at £ 43.00 (plus £4.50 postage) both include ball axle bearings as standard.
The kit comprises a huge array of precisely cut MDF parts and includes a printed sheet of various other kits with links to You-tube video instructions. These are the most useful building tutorials as there is no chance of misinterpreting any written instruction.
IMG_7210.JPG
IMG_7210.JPG (127.99 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
The first part to construct is the complex chassis which even includes brake-gear, even though it will never be visible! The unit is self contained and fits snugly beneath the seating....
IMG_7219.JPG
IMG_7219.JPG (102.99 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
IMG_7220.JPG
IMG_7220.JPG (102.7 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
The ball bearings (included in all of Jerry's kits) ensure the coach rolls with next to no resistance....
IMG_7229.JPG
IMG_7229.JPG (106.46 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
As can be seen, I always use metal wheels on my stock and find it helps with weight and improved performance.
More to follow....

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 09, 2020 8:31 am

Hi Peter.

Looking forward to this build has I haven't been able to get one of Jerry's kits yet, lack of funds is the main reason at the moment. They do have a lot of parts and your description for building them are brilliant to see. Has you say he does have videos on which to find out how to build his kits, I did watch one of them some time ago, but you improve the build with what you find and your experience on builds is next to perfection for me.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 11, 2020 5:09 pm

The final part of the Jerry Irwin build....
Putting the sides together couldn't be easier or more accurate as there are templates included to ensure everything lines up precisely.
IMG_7283.JPG
IMG_7283.JPG (96.3 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
I prefer to paint the sides, ends and overlays before assembly, this makes for a tidier finish....
IMG_7285.JPG
IMG_7285.JPG (87.76 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
The whole thing is 'dry assembled' at this stage with no glue applied, the top is reinforced with another jig (part of which is removed later) to keep everything square....
IMG_7284.JPG
IMG_7284.JPG (115.46 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
Elastic bands are now used to hold the structure together while superglue is used to lock the parts together.
Following removal of the end jigs, the curved end panels (which are also pre-painted) are glued in place with elastic bands to hold them...
IMG_7292.JPG
IMG_7292.JPG (103.88 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
I chose to fit side screens using 2.5mm plastic tube (sliced open) with wire mesh slid in the grooves...
IMG_7287.JPG
IMG_7287.JPG (131.1 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
The roof is assembled with yet more jigs which are simple to use and form an independent and removable roof when finished....
IMG_7301.JPG
IMG_7301.JPG (100.82 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
IMG_7302.JPG
IMG_7302.JPG (95.82 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
And finally, the finished coach....
IMG_7303.JPG
IMG_7303.JPG (110.4 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
IMG_7304.JPG
IMG_7304.JPG (103.85 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
So, how do I rate this kit?
Just wonderful! I have no issue with the choice of MDF as I never use my stock in wet weather, although I left a piece of the material floating in water for two hours with no appreciable effect. It takes paint far better than ply and gives a far superior finish.
All of the parts are so well cut there is no movement between joints. The cut parts are completely removed from surrounding material. The jigs are included in the kit and make it so much more accurate and easier to assemble. Interior detail is complete right down to planking on the seats and even floorboards with fixing bolt heads visible.
Running characteristics are so much freer and smoother than any other kit, or scratch-build, I have ever made.
Jerry Irwin is certainly the 'Kit-Master' in my opinion, his kits are far superior to any others and extremely good value for money.
It is worth watching one of his videos so you can appreciate the skill and detail he puts into his work. You will become addicted, just like me!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 11, 2020 7:36 pm

I had an unfortunate experience with the first I.P. Engineering kit which I purchased, it arrived in poor condition and, following conversation with Ivan, instead of a replacement roof which I requested, he sent an entire kit! All credit to Ivan for that, good customer relations in action.
When it arrived I was still building other kits so only glanced at the parts. I noticed there was an MDF roof supplied in this one, so hoped other parts were also upgraded. I am now getting on with the build and am dismayed by the remainder of the kit being identical to the first, in which the very thin curved ends are etched too deeply and are splitting, while the thicker side walls are not cut through from the outer border material. Not a good start.
In fact, the roof, which was the worst part of the original kit is now the best part of the new one.
On the I.P.Engineering site it proudly boasts 'all prototype internal detailing' but the seating has no plank-work engraved at all, and the 'engraved detailing including axleboxes' are as shown below....
IMG_7300.JPG
IMG_7300.JPG (65.61 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
IMG_7311.JPG
IMG_7311.JPG (96.07 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
The interior of the side panels are engraved but some of it is now obscured by my method of securing the glazing strips....
IMG_7309.JPG
IMG_7309.JPG (134.05 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
IMG_7310.JPG
IMG_7310.JPG (108.89 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Very little of the side panels will be visible once constructed, however, the seating will be more prominent!
As this is one of the more expensive kits of the type I remain unconvinced of 'value for money' but will continue with the build as before.
I will not be posting more build details on this kit as it has all been said before, however, there will be another Jerry Irwin kit along soon, so watch this space!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 12, 2020 7:38 am

Thank you Peter for a brilliant post on the builds. Jerry Irwins do look good, better after your expert hands on them. The comparison between the two kits was well described and shows that you don't need to pay more for better quality.

Love the way you always paint first, it does look better. When I have painted HGLW kits which are MDF aren't they, I think. They always look slightly rough, even after I smooth them down a bit. I do know from experience though, if you rub them down too much they really start to look like a pan scourer. But then I suppose there is differences in quality of MDF you can buy I think. :scratch:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 12, 2020 10:36 am

Thank you Rod, I'm glad you found the exercise useful, I hope others do too.
From my experience MDF is a better material to give a smooth paint finish, if prepared correctly.... Most important thing is..... don't sand the surface as it will become furry. Spray a primer coat to seal the MDF, which usually absorbs the paint unevenly, so more than one coat is advised. Apply finish coat in light, even coverage, until a uniform finish is achieved.
Plywood almost always leaves grain effect, even after sanding, filling, priming and finishing. The finer the grain the better finish you can get, although not all manufacturers offer it. It is not easy to know in advance about material quality so I hope this report helps.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 12, 2020 11:08 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:36 am Thank you Rod, I'm glad you found the exercise useful, I hope others do too.
I do, thanks Peter!

Those Jerry Irwin kits really do look good - I'm tempted! As I mentioned though, I've got a couple of barely-started IP ones, so I'd better have a look at those first. I'd forgotten, but mine are etched too deeply on the ends too, and the curving method looks much better on JI's... It's little things like that and the need to add detail to the seats, create new inner walls to allow for droplights etc that have put me off, I think - I buy the occasional kit to build as quick treats between scratchbuilds, but it's not so much fun if I end up doing lots of work.

Helpful tips on MDF, thanks. Have you tried MDF Sealer? I think I've got a tin somewhere. I actually quite like a little ply grain showing through - it's overscale, of course, but not too bad once it's sealed and sanded. As long as the grain's going the right way, of course - a pet hate is kits where the grain runs perpendicular to the planking...

You've got a couple more manufacturers to go to complete the set I think - Yatton (http://yattonmodelengineering.co.uk/festiniog.html) and Jurassic (are they still trading? http://www.summerlands-chuffer.co.uk/ju ... 4577586366), although that's going to be an awful lot of Bug Boxes.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 12, 2020 1:48 pm

Thank you Andrew, I hadn't spotted these two kit suppliers so perhaps they are less well known? The Yatton Engineering coach looks to be of similar construction to the 'Lineside Hut' kit but at £45.00 + £12.00 for postage..... (failed the value for money test there!) I will not be buying one.
Jurassic Models site is dated 2016 so may not still be trading. Unfortunately there are no illustrations included and the price list shows £40.00 (incl. postage) but excluding wheels and bearings. That would still make it over £50.00 in total, so unsure again about value for money?
We all have our favourites I'm sure and we all use them for different purposes but I only set out to compare design of construction, material quality and cost. Ultimately the finish can make or break a model and the manufacturers have no control over that.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Wow, hadn't spotted the £12 postage charge on the Yatton version - if ever I want some of those, I'll pick 'em up in person, it's only £6 on the train from here!

You're absolutely right that finish is everything - running quality aside, I always reckon I can get away with a lot as long as I can manage a decent paint job...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:52 pm if ever I want some of those, I'll pick 'em up in person, it's only £6 on the train from here!

I guess you know that Jerry Irwin is near you too..... Filton.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Peter, I've looked several times but I can't find any links to Jerry Irwin products. Does he have a website?
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Jerry doesn't have a website but the link below will show his range of kits. Also he gives his email contact for direct sales, cheaper than via ebay, which he occasionally uses for parts etc.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/107486657 ... 8655086333

He is also a member here on the Forum, so PM's will work too!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 am

Only just got to read your reply Peter.

Thank you so much for the information. It's one of those things that one tends to do naturally when one thinks they should rub down something to get a smooth finish, but end up making it worse. :oops:

You have used plywood before haven't you and found them to be excellent kits. I wonder if the prices ie: pay more for them you tend to get a superior kit, makes all the difference in what you end up with. I myself would never pay the prices some manufacturers charge for their kits, after all, we run them outdoors and no matter how hard you try not to, derailments happen for one reason or another.
Following your advice before has helped me tremendously and I intend to carry on in that respect. Although I have improved some ways you do things that suit me better.

I must also say, I am not the best at builds and my skills are limited, but Anne like what I do, so for me that's what matters.
But the members thoughts are also important because without them, it's a lonely world is garden railways..

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 13, 2020 10:37 am

FWLR wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 am . I wonder if the prices ie: pay more for them you tend to get a superior kit,
One of my targets was to discover whether that was the case, and found out that it was not!
The kit with least number of prepared parts and the use of poorer quality material, resulting in less accuracy in assembly due to these two issues, was also the most expensive to buy.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 13, 2020 11:09 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:46 pm
Andrew wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:52 pm if ever I want some of those, I'll pick 'em up in person, it's only £6 on the train from here!

I guess you know that Jerry Irwin is near you too..... Filton.
No, I didn't know that! Always nice to support a local business...

I'm very tempted my one of the "porthole" opens, even though I've got an IP one awaiting construction. They look a joy to put together, those jigs are wonderful.

When you get a chance, would you mind running a ruler over it? I'd like to see how it would compare with my existing "Small Birminghams"...

Thanks!

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 13, 2020 12:07 pm

Andrew, dimensions of the 'Porthole' coach are :
Body length.... 166 mm (10ft 4in)
Body height.... 100 mm (6ft 3in)
Overall height from rail 111 mm (6ft 11in)
Body width..... 105mm (6ft 6in)

How does that compare, and with what?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 13, 2020 12:32 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:07 pm
How does that compare, and with what?
Thanks Peter!

I'm wondering how it compares with my existing, scratchbuilt, bug boxes. They're pretty much to scale I think, but I guess I'm more concerned with whether they'd look right side by side...

I'll get out and measure them later...

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 13, 2020 2:12 pm

I had a measure, and it looks like Jerry I's ones are a little bigger all round than mine. IP's are too, as I recall, so it's possible I made mine too small, I don't recall where I got the plans from now.

How do a JI and IP one look together, from a size perspective?

Thanks,

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Andrew, I managed to grab an opportunity during my flexible (non)working at home day to take some pictures for you. What with having to fit in lunch, coffee and dog exercising breaks, I don't know how I find the time!
The IP an JI coaches are so close in size there is really no noticeable difference between them.....
IMG_7314.JPG
IMG_7314.JPG (108.78 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
IMG_7313.JPG
IMG_7313.JPG (145.13 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
IMG_7312.JPG
IMG_7312.JPG (149.13 KiB) Viewed 5646 times

I hope this helps.