Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by DonW » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:09 pm

Has the weather been too bad to run trains there Peter we have had some nice days when I have been engaged on the ground works. Must get some track down. Looks good

Don

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:20 pm

Yes Don, the weather throughout May has been the wettest on record, and possibly the windiest too, so no access to the railway to remove the weeds which completely covered the track in places. I have never seen the line looking as bad and it needed several dry days to just clear the way, even then the ballast had to be removed from the points and some oiling applied to various moving parts.
As previously described, something has been digging and spreading soil etc. all over the track so running was a non starter until all this was cleared away. We often see rabbits on the railway, so I guess they objected to it being there?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:20 pm even then the ballast had to be removed from the points
Yes, similar story here. I've got a set of points that refuse to switch. I think I need to lift them out and find out what is jamming them.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 pm

invicta280 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:06 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:20 pm even then the ballast had to be removed from the points
Yes, similar story here. I've got a set of points that refuse to switch. I think I need to lift them out and find out what is jamming them.
I use a fine crushed stone, only about 1mm to dust, but it finds its way between the blades, check rails and running rails, underneath the tie-bar and anywhere else it can hide. Firstly I use a paint brush to try to move it away from all moving parts, then a fine pick and finally a vacuum cleaner. After a little oil it usually does the trick. I would do anything to avoid lifting the point altogether!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:18 am

Great seeing your locos back on your line Peter. I always look forward to seeing them, they give me so much joy when I see them, I can then try and put something on our line also.

Although it does take me ages to get around to it.. :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:16 pm

It has been a long time since I posted here, partially due to other priorities and more recently to the extremes of hot weather making it too uncomfortable to be outside. The weeds are growing again but I couldn't spend time on my hands and knees in this heat, so it must wait.
Having inspected the line I have discovered a little damage, which is caused by rabbits playing amongst the houses etc. They have broken down some fencing and caused one side of my girder bridge to break away....
IMG_8426.JPG
IMG_8426.JPG (180.11 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
Strangest of all though is the movement of one item from the railway station area to 12 metres away across the field. This is a bench seat with white-metal ends and two seated, cast resin, figures permanently attached to the seat.....

IMG_8428.JPG
IMG_8428.JPG (108.64 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
As you can see, they weigh 66g, which seems quite heavy for any creature to pick up and carry away, especially as there would be nothing to eat or any use in their natural habitat. What kind of creatures do we have here, large birds doing early Christmas shopping or rabbits with wheelbarrows?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:16 pm As you can see, they weigh 66g, which seems quite heavy for any creature to pick up and carry away, especially as there would be nothing to eat or any use in their natural habitat. What kind of creatures do we have here, large birds doing early Christmas shopping or rabbits with wheelbarrows?
I have had some large pieces moved, and day I watched a crow get on the the bird table, pick up a "fat pellet" pot and fly off with it, the next day the crows were back and after working out how to get at the fat cake, removed a whole one and again flew off with it. This accounts I think for a lot of my railway furniture moving.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:01 pm

Yes, agreed, members of the Crow family ( Corvids) are both intelligent and adept at working things out and moving them.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:02 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:01 pm Yes, agreed, members of the Crow family ( Corvids) are both intelligent and adept at working things out and moving them.
It's Corvid 19 that really wreaks havoc...

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:35 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:02 pm

It's Corvid 19 that really wreaks havoc...
Here's your hat...
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:35 pm

WOW!!!!! ...... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, half a million times! I find it hard to believe this thread has attracted so much attention and recorded over 500,000 views but I am so grateful to each and every one who has followed the development of the BURPS for the past ten years. I have learned so much from my colleagues here on the Forum and met several in person, it has been a real pleasure for me and I hope for readers too.
If you have time to join us it would be great to see your own garden railway projects, it costs nothing to become a member and we would love to greet you.
Thank you all again,
Peter.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:02 pm

Congrats Peter, well done indeed! :occasion5: :occasion7:
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:33 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:02 pm Congrats Peter, well done indeed! :occasion5: :occasion7:
Ditto - half a million times .....

:bravo :blob6:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:30 am

:wav: :occasion9: :bravo :wav:

Congratulations Peter. You are an inspiration to us all. I myself have learnt much from you and not just about modelling. I think you know what I mean.

Here's to another 500,000 views. I am sure it will happen sooner than later.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi Peter,

Wow! That really is some achievement. I suspect it's a Forum record.

What I know for sure is that it's positive proof of the influence you and your railway have had on so many of the people here (past and present).

Well done and thank you for the generosity of your posts and replies. :salute:

SVLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:47 pm

Congratulations! Quality and quantity...

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:40 pm

Andrew wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:47 pm Congratulations! Quality and quantity...
Yes indeed! Quite a record, and well deserved. It's a great little railway :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Mike Griff
New User
New User

Post by Mike Griff » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:03 pm

Greetings to all. I am a new member to the forum and have just completed a full read of your thread Peter. Very impressed with your railway and modelling. I, as yet, have not started my railway (save a few scratch build wagons and a couple of Phil Sharples kits) and am really inspired by the atmosphere you have created, also by the friendly support apparent through the thread, great to be here. Mike

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:20 pm

Mike Griff wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:03 pm Greetings to all. I am a new member to the forum and have just completed a full read of your thread Peter. Very impressed with your railway and modelling. I, as yet, have not started my railway (save a few scratch build wagons and a couple of Phil Sharples kits) and am really inspired by the atmosphere you have created, also by the friendly support apparent through the thread, great to be here. Mike
Welcome aboard, Mike. Sounds like you've taken the first steps.

Looking forward to you starting a thread to show us what you've created so far. Those scratchbuilds sound interesting.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:40 pm

Welcome! You've chosen a good place to start! As Rik says, keep us posted - as you've noted, we're a supportive bunch!