Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by FWLR » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:15 am

Those weeds are a real pain aren't they. We have no where near the size of your line Peter and we have struggled this year to try and keep them down. Yes and lockdown has also had me not wanting to do a lot with the line. I must try now to get back to a more normal life and get back to running and building our line.

I know with the help you are getting from your assistant, 'Henry' it will soon be back to it's brilliant self... :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:27 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:15 am Yes and lockdown has also had me not wanting to do a lot with the line. I must try now to get back to a more normal life and get back to running and building our line.
Me too! I'm glad I'm not alone. I've run the odd battery-powered goods train this year, but nothing much beyond that. Nice to see your railway coming back to life Peter - with luck, you'll squeeze in a train or two before you pack all the buildings away for winter!

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:45 pm

I'm pleased to say my assistant, Henry, (other assistants are available!) got to work with his usual smiley face, and between us we managed to remove all of the debris from the track and particularly, the points.....
IMG_8541.JPG
IMG_8541.JPG (156.87 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
As can be seen in the picture, a locomotive appeared to 'road test' the line to pick out any faults. Fortunately none were found and no derailments occurred. Before long another railbus showed up to play and I found myself enjoying a tail-chasing session, the first in a very long time.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:33 am

Henry does look pleased. Glad you got to have a run with your locos Peter. It makes the effort you put into cleaning your line worthwhile doesn't it. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:33 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:27 pm
FWLR wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:15 am Yes and lockdown has also had me not wanting to do a lot with the line. I must try now to get back to a more normal life and get back to running and building our line.
Me too! I'm glad I'm not alone. I've run the odd battery-powered goods train this year, but nothing much beyond that. Nice to see your railway coming back to life Peter - with luck, you'll squeeze in a train or two before you pack all the buildings away for winter!

Andrew.
Love you new avatar Andrew.... :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:30 am

FWLR wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:33 am
Love you new avatar Andrew.... :thumbright:
Glad you like it - I thought after 2,500 messages it was time for a change... The picture's from a sticker with the word "porter" underneath the image, a primary school teaching aid of my Grandma's, and must date from a very brief period where mass colour printed coincided with children actually knowing what a porter was, let alone needing to spell it! Late 50s?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:21 am

Andrew wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:30 am ... The picture's from a sticker with the word "porter" underneath the image, a primary school teaching aid of my Grandma's, and must date from a very brief period where mass colour printed coincided with children actually knowing what a porter was, let alone needing to spell it! Late 50s?
Lovely story ..... and a telling image of its day.
Presumably, middle class kids would recognise the image from when they went on their hols and working class kids would recognise the image as one of their relatives...... 🤔

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:58 am

Good to see trains have returned. your modelling is stunning especially in the village area. still dont think ive ever seen functional drainage in a model villiage before!
Jake

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:05 am

Thanks Jake, when planning the village scene I immediately foresaw the potential of flooding with so much concrete there so drainage had to be installed. I'm delighted to say it works.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 am

Good to see the railway back to its usual condition Peter.

So what are you working on now? I know you won’t have been idle!

Trevor

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:26 pm

Never idle Trevor, but other activities tend to take priority over models occasionally. Some not specifically railway related, but I will mention a few here as it is my thread, so drifting is permitted!
1. Keeping my good lady happy with much work in her kitchen.
2. New drainage alongside the house in preparation for anticipated Autumn/Winter wet weather......
IMG_8546.JPG
IMG_8546.JPG (203.67 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
Railway associated work...

3. Dredging and digging drainage channel underneath the 'Hospitality Shed' .... TOP priority!.....
IMG_8543.JPG
IMG_8543.JPG (177.08 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
4. Removal of tree stump alongside the railway path steps. A potential trip hazard.....
IMG_8544.JPG
IMG_8544.JPG (177.59 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
5. Preparation for laying of slabs to form access pathway to my railway shed.....
IMG_8545.JPG
IMG_8545.JPG (184.14 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
Other activities.....

Much work on my 'Classic' V70, as described in 'Off Topic' under '2 into 1 will go'
Also, our model group are pleased to say we have now managed to return to exhibiting at local Vintage events etc. So some time has been spent on preparation to get back into the routine of displaying our models. In addition, I have been making new contacts to promote both our club, and local preservation lines, by planning new exhibition proposals with their staff and my colleagues.

That has kept me quite busy recently but it will soon be time to get back into kit building. I will post details when that begins.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:01 am

Hard work, but always worth it. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:57 am

Agreed Aaron, it can be hard work, especially in our clay soil but someone has to do it! I am trying to get such matters sorted while the body is still capable, who knows how much longer it will be possible?
Meanwhile, back to some proper work.... model making.
Since completing my Braugham carriage I have become aware of the mistakes I made by using an early standard gauge type as a guide, where the carriage sat on top of a flat-bed truck instead of side mounted platforms. So, an appointment with mister bandsaw was made and the width reduced accordingly. I am now constructing more prototypical supports. Pictures to follow.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:09 pm

Fortunately mister bandsaw was very gentle with the flat truck and neatly removed part of the deck on either side making it possible for the Braugham's wheels to drop onto platforms.....
IMG_8550.JPG
IMG_8550.JPG (89.9 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
I need to make support brackets to attach the platforms to the underside of the flat deck so the wheels can be rested on them.....
IMG_8551.JPG
IMG_8551.JPG (92.8 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
I am now basing my model on the Ffestiniog Railway four-wheel carriage-truck as shown in my copy of the 'Spooner Album', which I have acquired since I built the first model....
IMG_8552.JPG
IMG_8552.JPG (93.31 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
IMG_8553.JPG
IMG_8553.JPG (93.46 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
Unfortunately it doesn't show how the load was secured to the wagon. Can anyone please offer advice on this?

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:39 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:26 pm Never idle Trevor, but other activities tend to take priority over models occasionally. Some not specifically railway related, but I will mention a few here as it is my thread, so drifting is permitted!
1. Keeping my good lady happy with much work in her kitchen.
2. New drainage alongside the house in preparation for anticipated Autumn/Winter wet weather......

IMG_8546.JPG

Railway associated work...

3. Dredging and digging drainage channel underneath the 'Hospitality Shed' .... TOP priority!.....

IMG_8543.JPG
4. Removal of tree stump alongside the railway path steps. A potential trip hazard.....

IMG_8544.JPG
5. Preparation for laying of slabs to form access pathway to my railway shed.....

IMG_8545.JPG

Other activities.....

Much work on my 'Classic' V70, as described in 'Off Topic' under '2 into 1 will go'
Also, our model group are pleased to say we have now managed to return to exhibiting at local Vintage events etc. So some time has been spent on preparation to get back into the routine of displaying our models. In addition, I have been making new contacts to promote both our club, and local preservation lines, by planning new exhibition proposals with their staff and my colleagues.

That has kept me quite busy recently but it will soon be time to get back into kit building. I will post details when that begins.
Wow - you are keeping busy!

At least it is staying reasonably dry for outside work!

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:51 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:09 pm Fortunately mister bandsaw was very gentle with the flat truck and neatly removed part of the deck on either side making it possible for the Braugham's wheels to drop onto platforms.....

IMG_8550.JPG

I need to make support brackets to attach the platforms to the underside of the flat deck so the wheels can be rested on them.....

IMG_8551.JPG

I am now basing my model on the Ffestiniog Railway four-wheel carriage-truck as shown in my copy of the 'Spooner Album', which I have acquired since I built the first model....

IMG_8552.JPG

IMG_8553.JPG

Unfortunately it doesn't show how the load was secured to the wagon. Can anyone please offer advice on this?
I cant pretend that I actually know - but when you looked at the photo on the page next to the one with the drawing you will have seen that there are three rings on each side.

I am sure that is where the ropes would have been on the wagon end - but I wonder if they attached the other ends to the axles or to the wheels themselves. I wouldn't think that they would have anything on the body of the coach to attach to, it being very lightly built, nor with soft springing would that have worked.

I wonder if that Ffestiniog wagon was used much - or even ever!

Trevor

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:11 pm

Thank you Trevor, I hadn't looked closely at the photograph but they seem to answer the question. I suggest the rope would have been connected to the axles rather than the wheels/hubs. The axles would give more downward, rather than inward pressure for secure fixing, possibly in conjunction with wheel chocks? That is the way I will do it.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:12 pm

I try to work on the principle that if it can realistically do the job then it is probably about right.

In those days, I doubt they would have needed to fill in a risk assessment form (in triplicate) so would have made it up as they went along.

Sounds sensible to me to use the axles as secure fixing points.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:56 pm

I think the axles are the right solution as well.

Its a good strong place to use, a fair curve to minimise chafe in the rope, and in line with the rings.

I think the ring position suggests two ropes to each axle, one going forwards and one backwards. That would hold the carriage down and in place. Its the for and aft movement which is the greater risk, rather than just holding the carriage down as such. If the carriage moves back and for it adds stress and chafe to the ropes.

Trevor

PS I think chocks might have been used - but they need securing or they pop out (as they do with my landrover on its trailer.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:56 pm

Time for reassembly of the wagon by attaching the two steps to carry the Brougham wheels.....
IMG_8560.JPG
IMG_8560.JPG (124.44 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
Once firmly glued in place, time for a coat of primer. I made no effort to colour match the existing, far easier to repaint the whole thing.....
IMG_8563.JPG
IMG_8563.JPG (106.53 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
Following the short discussion about how ropes might have been used to secure the load to the transporter wagon I fitted screw rings, similar to the ones shown on the photograph in the Spooner Album.....
IMG_8564.JPG
IMG_8564.JPG (104.65 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
This is not a true copy of the prototype as I had no previous information to follow, therefore it is slightly longer which benefits my Brougham's dimensions, also wider at the deck, which was necessary due to existing detail I wished to keep. Overall it looks right, so I am pleased with the result so far.