Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Continuing with my carriage build, the sides and ends have had a gold edge trim added to all of the panels. This was done after final painting of the overlays by use of a gold liner pen run along the edges from the back of each section so no colour accidentally got onto the fronts.....
IMG_5808.JPG
IMG_5808.JPG (115.95 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
IMG_5809.JPG
IMG_5809.JPG (115.8 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
IMG_5807.JPG
IMG_5807.JPG (79.64 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
IMG_5811.JPG
IMG_5811.JPG (157.57 KiB) Viewed 4597 times
This has worked really well and the overlays are now bonded to the inner sections using Canopy Bond which is a great success.
As I write this, the body shell is in front of me, under weights to hold the shape while it sets. The window glazing is already fitted, along with the floor, which wasn't supplied. Next will be seating...... wooden slats for 3rd. and upholstered for 1st.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:56 am

Looks great Peter, it will certainly be another Peter Butler example on how to do it correctly.

Love those lamps too Peter, has Tom as said where did you buy them from, you said “Charlies” do you have a website link please.

And thanks for the overall view of your Village too Peter. Can I copy the photo to show Anne, so I can show her what I am thinking of for our line, although it will be now where near as brilliant has your’s mate.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks Rod, Charlies stores are Welsh based (I believe) so you might not have a local branch (yet!) but they are on line at.... www.charliesdirect.co.uk

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:55 am

That gold trim looks excellent, Peter. Thanks for another brilliant idea.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:58 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am Thanks Rod, Charlies stores are Welsh based (I believe) so you might not have a local branch (yet!) but they are on line at.... www.charliesdirect.co.uk
Wow! I spent 5 years living in Aberystwyth in the 90s and had no idea that "Cheap Charlie's" (as it was universally known) was part of a chain... I'll learn next that the shop (ironically) nick-named "Honest John's" on the Prom was a multinational...

The carriage is looking great, good idea re the gold pen and edging technique...

Cheers,

Andrew.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:58 pm

That coach is looking rather splendid. Your passengers are going to be traveling in style.
Ian

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Currently waiting for more kits from Lineside Hut, an order for another coach sides and ends pack, also seating for 2x four compartment coaches. This time I will carry out my original plan to cut the sides in half and make two four wheelers. I'm also progressing well with the CRV and it looks great! I am not familiar with wooden kits, and have never seen the real van, so it has been learning curve for me to understand the instructions and put it into practise. The kit is designed so that the builder can make all doors to open, including side sliding doors, something I don't want, but no alternative instructions are given for such as me. However, I have worked round that issue and the main body is almost ready for primer, possibly tomorrow after the duckets have set in position.
I must say that every piece of the laser cut sections are incredibly crisp and tidy with no cleaning-up required and they fit perfectly in every case.
Meanwhile I have prepared and painted the outer overlays ready for gold lining which I will attempt this evening....
IMG_5858.JPG
IMG_5858.JPG (104.33 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
IMG_5870.JPG
IMG_5870.JPG (168.31 KiB) Viewed 4384 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:46 am

Love your main colour Peter.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am

Yesterday, after the train services had ended and all of the tourists and visitors had gone home, I took a stroll around the village with my camera. It had been raining during the day leaving the ground wet so there was little activity, although some residents took time out to relax after a busy day.....
IMG_5861.JPG
IMG_5861.JPG (132.36 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
IMG_5862.JPG
IMG_5862.JPG (136.72 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
IMG_5863.JPG
IMG_5863.JPG (132.08 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_5864.JPG (131.83 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
IMG_5865.JPG
IMG_5865.JPG (115.2 KiB) Viewed 4323 times
IMG_5866.JPG
IMG_5866.JPG (129.35 KiB) Viewed 4323 times

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:51 am

Your village looks most realistic Peter. The carriages are looking good too. You're spoiling the inhabitants with superior accommodation and luxurious rolling stock.
Ian

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:48 pm

Your pavements in the rain are virtually indistinguishable from 1:1 scale. Incredible. And marvellous.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:01 pm

I couldn't achieve that level of detail, realism and above all atmosphere if I were to go out and buy a genuine 12" to the foot Welsh village.

Absolutely fantastic.
But could you have done all that in 3 days whilst incorporating an old shoe and a lipstick container!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:21 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:01 pm I couldn't achieve that level of detail, realism and above all atmosphere if I were to go out and buy a genuine 12" to the foot Welsh village.

Absolutely fantastic.
But could you have done all that in 3 days whilst incorporating an old shoe and a lipstick container!
Answer..... no!... neither could the competitors, which makes the whole series a compete fiasco.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Amazing Peter, truly amazing. Some of those shots could easily be a 'real' village in the rain.
Philip

Paul_A_C
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_A_C » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm Currently waiting for more kits from Lineside Hut, an order for another coach sides and ends pack, also seating for 2x four compartment coaches. This time I will carry out my original plan to cut the sides in half and make two four wheelers. I'm also progressing well with the CRV and it looks great! I am not familiar with wooden kits, and have never seen the real van, so it has been learning curve for me to understand the instructions and put it into practise. The kit is designed so that the builder can make all doors to open, including side sliding doors, something I don't want, but no alternative instructions are given for such as me. However, I have worked round that issue and the main body is almost ready for primer, possibly tomorrow after the duckets have set in position.
I must say that every piece of the laser cut sections are incredibly crisp and tidy with no cleaning-up required and they fit perfectly in every case.
Meanwhile I have prepared and painted the outer overlays ready for gold lining which I will attempt this evening....
IMG_5858.JPG
IMG_5870.JPG
I have found all the laser cut sections on the Lineside Hut WLLR Brake Van crisp and tidy. However, the instructions have left me pondering at times. I’ve resorted to building differently from the suggested sequence as it was illogical to my mind. There’s also a dimension typo as well when instructed to cut some copper wire. That said, writing, clear unambiguous instructions is not easy. I’ve written technical engineering manuals during my working life, and it taxes the brain to ensure it’s all in a logical order and the reader will be able to understand and follow what he has to do.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 pm

Yes Paul, I agree about the instructions being a little vague, although originally I put it down to my own inexperience with making kits and my lack of knowledge when it comes to technical terms of the prototype. I have varied from the suggested sequence too as I didn't want any of the doors to open, neither did I want to fit the outer overlays in place until after painting. Today I have struggled to work out a section which described how to make parts from raw materials without any description of their final purpose or location. Eventually I resorted to the excellent drawing by Nigel Town, published in the 16mm Association Guide to the Ffestiniog Railway, which has helped me enormously.
I still rate the kit highly as it is well detailed and produced. To be able to manufacture something as intricate as that is a great skill in itself and requires much planning, so hats off to Lineside Hut for that.
Clearly there is still some way for me to go before it is finished as no bogies, wheels or buffers are supplied. There is no description of the wheel diameter or ride height so the 16mm drawings answer that. The handrail at the front/back (? not clarified), is very delicate and needs replacing with brass, which I'm in the process of doing now. The one supplied appears to be far too low anyway so it will be improved with a replacement, also I will add some bolt detail on the frame which is shown on the drawing.
I'm still undecided about colour as it will not be a true scale model of the prototype, as long as it looks well with my other stock I will be content.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:25 am

I am content when I do anything with our line Peter.

Love where you have placed those street light’s also, they all look just perfect….

(Having a bit of an issue with my eyes this morning) not checking on what I have written first………. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 am

Just catching up after a few days away without internet. Those photos of the village after the rain shower are so realistic, Peter. The sheen on the pavement really adds to the atmosphere. The positioning of the buildings and colouring looks so natural. Hats off to you sir, not only for your modelling skills, but also for the vision needed to visualise the whole scene when you made that initial cut into the first piece of plasticard.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Wow, Peter! I had to look twice to be sure of the scale :shock: Well domne indeed :thumbright:

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:27 am

Congratulations on the village Peter, really well thought out and beautifully executed, and what better than a rainy day to photograph a Welsh village :lol:
I'm following your build for the Lineside Hut kits as well. I bought a couple of their wagon kits at Llanfair, but haven't started them yet.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077