Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by georgesheppard » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:46 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:29 pm Just about finished, the whole transporter wagon has been sprayed with grey primer followed by matt black on the underside. The top has been hand painted with an acrylic colour wash to muck it up a little, the chequer plate I previously fitted to the side platforms has been dry brushed with a silver acrylic to show foot wear on the raised areas, the rail has a rusty side and silvered top. To seal it a satin lacquer has been applied.....
IMG_8078.JPG
IMG_8079.JPG
Overall I think it is a slight improvement.
Only a slight improvement? It's looking great!

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:59 pm

As George said! :lol:
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:16 pm

Thanks guys, I have enjoyed the transformation and it is an unusual vehicle to run on my railway. I do have a siding where I can install a feeder line for the tanker to be mounted on the transporter wagon, but that will be a summertime job.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:39 am

I think it looks great, Peter. Does it run ok? The wheelbase looks quite long.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 am

Nice work Peter, it looks great - and the SG transfer siding will be an interesting feature. It looked relatively basic in the film Rik shared...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:46 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:39 am I think it looks great, Peter. Does it run ok? The wheelbase looks quite long.

Rik
Having removed the 45mm gauge wheels and fitted 32 gauge, I thought so too, so I 'road-tested' on the track at various sections and points and it managed perfectly well, even without the tank wagon load, which I think makes it even more likely to stay on track. It is 150mm between centres.
When I venture out into the garden railway wilderness with my (t)rusty machete during the warmer weather I will be able to give it a proper run. If it fails I can just place it at the transfer siding area for effect, otherwise it might make an appearance on the 'For Sale' section. My pleasure is in the building, not running.

Andrew wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 am Nice work Peter, it looks great - and the SG transfer siding will be an interesting feature. It looked relatively basic in the film Rik shared...
I like the idea of including it as I haven't seen it done elsewhere, but it may depend on my findings as stated above.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:43 pm

For my next trick I have decided to scratch-build a horse drawn carriage to travel behind the horsebox mounted on a flat wagon. There are images of this during the latter part of 19C. so it was common practise. How they manage to load the carriage I'm unsure, but there might be another transfer siding coming up in the future?
I have settled on a Brougham carriage, one of the most popular of its time, being able to carry up to four passengers, plus coachman, yet still able to be drawn by a singe horse, although two horse options were also built....
Horse-Drawn-Carriage-drawing.gif
Horse-Drawn-Carriage-drawing.gif (59.06 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
The main carriage body will be HIP but the fiddly bits, wheels, springs and steering assembly, more tricky. I have bought a set of wheels from 'Hobby's', on-line, and they are just right. The rest has been supplied by Trevor after I approached him to ask for parts already available for his 'Wagonette' kit, which he is offering for sale to members. I have to stress that it is only because of that he was willing to supply, as he has quite enough of his own work to complete and is not setting up shop!....
IMG_8088.JPG
IMG_8088.JPG (104.19 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:52 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:43 pm How they manage to load the carriage I'm unsure, but there might be another transfer siding coming up in the future?
Don't know about narrow gauge practice ( I'm sure somebody will do though) but I don't see why it would be much different, but on standard gauge it was quite common to have an "end loading dock". Where the wagon flat bed was level with the dock at the end of a siding, rather like a cattle dock but at the end rather than the side of the siding. In point of fact it was quite common for the two to be combined so that the dock/platform was L-shaped.
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:39 pm

This looks an interesting project!
Peter Butler wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:43 pm How they manage to load the carriage I'm unsure, but there might be another transfer siding coming up in the future?
What with this and the standard gauge loading siding, you are going to have quite a busy interchange Peter!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:19 pm

Here is a carriage loaded onto a flat wagon, which is what I'm trying to achieve.....
IMG_8089.JPG
IMG_8089.JPG (108.73 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
And this is one way of loading carriages, although how accurate this is I don't know....
IMG_8090.JPG
IMG_8090.JPG (110.77 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
It would certainly be more of a talking point on the railway. I particularly like this idea as it shows people still on-board during the process.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:45 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:19 pm
And this is one way of loading carriages, although how accurate this is I don't know....
At the risk of being shot down in flames, that looks more like a creation of your friend Emmett than a real operation. :)
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:18 pm

I agree Philip, I'm sure it is pure imagination, but perhaps that's why it appeals to me?
Just to set the record straight, Emett has only one 'm'. (no flames coming your way!)

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:56 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:18 pm
Just to set the record straight, Emett has only one 'm'. (no flames coming your way!)
Oops, fat fingers! :oops:
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:29 pm

Progress on the Brougham today. I don't have any working drawings or dimensions so it is just a matter of cut it and see, which the way I usually work anyway. The most important thing is to make it look correct against the horsebox, and I think it does. So, today's work has got me here....
IMG_8092.JPG
IMG_8092.JPG (95.74 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
IMG_8091.JPG
IMG_8091.JPG (105.79 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
Just a few more details to attach before primer.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:32 am

Those curves look spot-on. I wish I had your dexterity (or curly ruler......)

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:50 am

Very nice! And yes, the curves are great...

If you're looking for something to replicate the buttoned upholstery, I've recently discovered that some plastic punnets of soft fruit come with a thin layer of textured foam at the bottom which really looks the part when painted...

While I'm here, I've never known how to pronounce "Brougham" - "bruff-am"? "Brow-ham"? Any pointers welcome!

Cheers,

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:01 am

According to Wikipedia this is what they suggest.....

Brougham: (pronounced broam - like foam - in the USA and broom - that you sweep with - in the United Kingdom).

I have also heard it described as.... broo-em, but there may be regional differences?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:12 pm

I've always thought it was " broo-um" but if said quickly I guess that would shorten to "broom"
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:00 pm

Reminds me of 'ghoti' pronounced 'fish'

gh as in cough
o as in women
ti as in dictionary

It was attributed to George Bernard Shaw, but I think it actually predated him

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:03 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:50 am
If you're looking for something to replicate the buttoned upholstery, I've recently discovered that some plastic punnets of soft fruit come with a thin layer of textured foam at the bottom which really looks the part when painted...
Thanks Andrew, I was trying to think of something to mimic the upholstery but couldn't, your idea sounds good. However, I just had no time to wait so by the end of yesterday evening I had already cut and scribed all of the interior panels from HIP.....
IMG_8098.JPG
IMG_8098.JPG (99.47 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
I will paint them to see whether they are adequate to be installed and are acceptable behind the glazing. I doubt the model police will even notice!