Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:17 pm

Very nice Peter. So.. it IS possible to make a silk purse from a sow's ear after all!!!
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:29 am

Wow Peter. What a brilliant job you have done. I love the colour and that lining is just brilliant. Now that is what good friends do for one another.

Love it, love it, love it. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 am

Looks really great, Peter. I'll have to experiment with lining on my cutter (another job for the list ..... ;) )

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:02 am

Beautiful restoration! Don't see a lot of brown locos, the colour just "works" so well on a steam engine. And the lining!
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:05 pm

On the subject of vinyl lining, this scratch-built loco body, on another GRS chassis, is one I made some years ago, but never felt happy with the transfer lining I used. Such a shame to hide it away as it is a great runner, so I asked for more vinyl lining of the same colour as shown above, and here it is.....
100_0042.JPG
100_0042.JPG (266.75 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
100_0043.JPG
100_0043.JPG (273.5 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Much happier with it now and will proudly use it when we hold meetings.

Also, another item passed down to me by Brian.... thank you Brian, is this carriage which had been fully assembled but never painted. I always like to paint overlays prior to fixing, so they had to come off. This is where I discovered how Gorilla Glue is less efficient than PVA in such circumstances. The glue had foamed and set but not penetrated the woodgrain, so some careful slicing with a thin blade soon had everything reduced to its flat-pack state for the process to begin again. I can't identify this kit which has individual, thick (2.5mm) pre-cut glazing, which slotted between inner and outer wall panels. Possibly Lineside Hut?...

100_0018.JPG
100_0018.JPG (267.86 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
100_0016.JPG
100_0016.JPG (272.01 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Other quirks (also from Brian) are these two small quarry wagons, I'm fairly sure these were Lineside Hut kits (they will be sorely missed!) which needed a little paint and lacquer to finish...

100_0065.JPG
100_0065.JPG (267.56 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Still more to follow!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:26 am

Peter,
How delicate is the vinyl lining?
I would imagine it still takes a steady hand, and good eye, to apply?

Is it quite robust to handle (does it stretch?).
And,
How easy is it to adjust, once you start applying it?

Lots of questions, sorry!

Phil.P

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:59 am

In answer to your questions Phil,

1. The lining isn't 'delicate' (see below)
2. It does need a good eye to place correctly (see 4)
3. It is self adhesive so is attached to a release backing sheet with a semi-opaque top sheet which assists positioning. Because it remains supported whilst fixing
it doesn't stretch.
4. If lightly attached at first, and before the top sheet is fully removed, it can be carefully peeled back and re-positioned without causing stretching or distorting.

Once attached I use a burnishing tool to firmly press around rivets etc. Finally, a light spray coat of lacquer (I prefer clear satin) to protect.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:51 pm

Thanks Peter,
I had not realised there was a top-sheet, which obviously greatly assists in holding the shape during application.

The thought of peeling 'sticky-back plastic' off a backing-sheet, and attempting to wrangle it to a loco boiler, would be a nightmare.

Phil.P

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:48 am

Nice kits there Peter. Lucky you having a friend that gives you free stuff.
Wish I had a friend like that :lol: :lol:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:44 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:48 am Nice kits there Peter. Lucky you having a friend that gives you free stuff.
I have known Brian for many years and tried to support him when constructing his garden railway and assisting with his stock collection and building. Unfortunately he is now in a position which prevents him form continuing with his outdoor activities and he had promised to pass on his collection to me in return. I'm sure we all have friends who share our interest and give support, this Forum has proved that to me many times.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:34 am

You are so right there Peter. I have been lucky enough to have friends on here who have done so much for me. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:08 pm

For me, it is quite early in the season to begin to tidy up my railway. The winter weather and the early weeds have left their mark, as well as various creatures digging holes and tunnels underneath the track. During the past week or so I have been dodging the wind and rain to sort out the chaos, this is now complete and the village has been re-installed on its foundations, all necessary minor repairs having been carried out last year when they were removed into storage.
All this in preparation for a visit by a most important guest.... the real garden railway inspector! Yes indeed, not the one who travels the world in a smart wooden box, this one is flesh and blood and an esteemed member of this very Forum!
I'm really looking forward to this meeting and hope all goes to plan. If so, I suspect a first-hand report might well make an appearance on these pages. I am delighted to play host and anxious that the weather will be kind on the day.
All will be revealed soon.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:56 am

Looking forward to this Peter. Sounds intriguing... :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:42 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:08 pm All this in preparation for a visit by a most important guest.... the real garden railway inspector! Yes indeed, not the one who travels the world in a smart wooden box, this one is flesh and blood and an esteemed member of this very Forum!
Perhaps you should offer a wooden box though, just as a courtesy??

Looking forward to seeing your line up and running again. I'm hoping to sort mine out this weekend, at least for goods trains - I need to do some serious track repairs before I can open to passengers...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 04, 2023 11:16 am

Phew!!! I can now relax..... the Inspector has been, close examination conducted and report submitted. Not such a daunting experience after all as he acted most professionally and made the occasion a real pleasure. I believe he may have been sufficiently impressed to make a follow-up visit on the pretext of checking something a second time! In reality I believe it was the expectation of another helping of home-made cake which was the reason behind the repeat visit.
Fortunately, the weather was kind and much of the railway rolling stock was made available for inspection, along with opportunities to interview members of staff.
The report is now available for viewing on the Forum in the appropriate section.... 'General Garden Railways'... 'The Great Garden Railways Inspection Reports'

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 05, 2023 6:36 am

It was a brilliant report Peter and I throughly enjoyed it. It was in someways even better now that your line has aged brilliantly. The naturally weathered building, gates, walls and everything else looks so real.

Looking forward to more of your superb line Peter. :thumbright:

PS I have started on our line, but it may be some weeks or even a couple of months before we get to run anything on it.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat May 13, 2023 8:31 pm

Another recent addition to the BURPS fleet was a hardly used, mint condition, Roundhouse 'Little John' in black. It came as a gift from my good friend Brian (again!) and had been with him for just a few years from new. It was supplied with R/C fitted and I have seen it working on Brian's railway, although he hardly used it unless someone was there too. Covid made such gatherings impossible so running time was minimal.
When sorting out his gifts to me we could not find the transmitter, but I seem to recall it was of the trigger and wheel type, which I dislike anyway!
This is the background to my latest loco transformation from this....
100_0119.JPG
100_0119.JPG (266.31 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
To this....

100_0136.JPG
100_0136.JPG (273.67 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
100_0138.JPG
100_0138.JPG (267.77 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
100_0137.JPG
100_0137.JPG (284.36 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
Initially I was undecided whether to move it on or modify it, as I was not an admirer of it at all. I will run through the changes I have made and can say how pleased I am now it has a new appearance.
Please watch for more....

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun May 14, 2023 7:58 am

Thats another excellent change from a drab looking engine to something that as some style there Peter. It's looks great in it's new livery.

BTW. Nice write up in the 16mmToday magazine. :salute:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 15, 2023 9:41 am

That looks great! It really looks the part with that industrial backdrop, putting me in mind of childhood glimpses of grotty diesels shunting on the Silvertown Tramway in East London, glimpsed from the top of a 101 bus.

I rather like my RH "Little John", which remains largely unmodified, but it has a bit more razzmatazz than your original plain black one, being dark green with yellow cranks and rods, and wasp stripes on the buffer beams. I look forward to learning more about your mods (I particularly like the spectacle rings!) - and no, I don't like the "car wheel" RC either!

Andrew

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 15, 2023 10:48 am

Without a transmitter I had two choices.... source a compatible one, which would possibly be of a type I detested, or change the system. No contest!
Out with the old...
100_0149.JPG
100_0149.JPG (303.99 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
... and in with a new Micron DSM2 from Phil P. Now I can operate with my RC Trains transmitter. The existing batteries are good so can remain in their holding box, which is screwed to the chassis above the running plate....
100_0121.JPG
100_0121.JPG (241.57 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
I did remove it temporarily to add a new Plastikard running plate which is slightly wider and longer in order to add a girder frame all round. I think it adds the appearance of strength to the chassis. This becomes more apparent in the final stages. The motor is powerful and the nylon gears are chunky and smooth.
On top of the running plate I attached tread plate (Slater's plastic) and a row of rivet heads and replacement springs (Cambrian Models) to the chassis sides...
100_0123.JPG
100_0123.JPG (259.56 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
100_0124.JPG
100_0124.JPG (236.2 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
Also shown above is a new plastic 'timber' cab floor.
And there's more...