Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Phil.P » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:04 pm

From my experience, I think you have been visited by a badger..

Phil.P

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:24 pm

Phil, I think badgers are beautiful creatures and, even if responsible, are still welcome here, but my cattle farming neighbours would be less enthusiastic. It is rare to see badgers, even roadkill specimens, so possibly they are not common in the area.
Why one should choose to dig there when surrounded by acres of open space remains a mystery?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:34 pm

Squirrels? They do enjoy digging for buried acorns etc.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

jimmytrains_01
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by jimmytrains_01 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:08 pm

i'm sorry to say this but maybe he / she drives a Pink roller and has a friend called Kevin, and it definately not Fab1.
I had a sunbathing version who ate my pond liner, so we drained the pond. I have met the one in the roller sat outside the newsagents at the bottom of the road on a break.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:27 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:34 pm Squirrels? They do enjoy digging for buried acorns etc.

Rik
Squirrels!!!!! What size are the squirrels in Cheshire? If I saw a squirrel capable of that level of destruction I would reach for my gun immediately!
I'm visualising a squirrel, high on fermented acorn alcohol, sitting in a miniature JCB, laughing at the thought of restoring nature to the garden, and letting us know his application for membership to the Forum was rejected.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:45 am

I think badgers are the most likely culprits. They are quite active in my garden, and seem to dig at things without rhyme nor reason. I certainly avoid giving them reason - such as using the live yoghurt method for encouraging moss - especially as they are capable of quite impressive feats of destruction. If it was badgers, it's a testament to the quality of you foundations and walls that they are all still standing! Another possibility would be rabbits, though I cannot imagine why a rabbit would have chosen to dig there, so that seems a bit unlikely to me.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:01 am

Thats a real mess Peter. I would be devastated seeing that. It's a good job your building had been taken in for winter maintenance or who know's what else would have been destroyed.

Whatever did that destruction will need to be kept away and hope it doesn't get to do more damage. Do you have any of those outdoor cameras that record whenever there is any movement in the camera's field of view :?:

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:25 am

This is part of the problem of living in the country!

I also think a badger is the probable culprit - although it is possibly a fox.

We have a badger set opposite our house - but thankfully they have confined themselves to overturning the rubbish bins - so far!

We often see both badgers and foxes ambling down our lane at night.

Of course there are loads of advantages to living in the countryside - and a few disadvantages.

Trevor

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:14 pm

This is a slight annoyance but easily restored when the weather improves. As long as Lord Butler doesn't get to hear about it all will be well.
It would take much, much more than this to ever make me regret moving to the country. I have thought about the different animal suggestions and am drawn to the fox as the culprit. We do have foxes (I've seen them) and many rabbits, some of which have burrowed into the railway previously, so that would attract foxes. I do like the idea of badgers living in the area, but I have doubts that weed control fabric would be sufficient to stop their claws from ripping straight through it.
As Simon has mentioned, the main structural work remains intact, so it is just a tidy-up job.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:59 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:27 pm
ge_rik wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:34 pm Squirrels? They do enjoy digging for buried acorns etc.

Rik
Squirrels!!!!! What size are the squirrels in Cheshire? If I saw a squirrel capable of that level of destruction I would reach for my gun immediately!
I'm visualising a squirrel, high on fermented acorn alcohol, sitting in a miniature JCB, laughing at the thought of restoring nature to the garden, and letting us know his application for membership to the Forum was rejected.
Difficult to get a sense of scale from the photos.

Rik
------------------------

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:08 pm

'We' (well, where we are now) had a large hole dug by badgers, in the corner of the garden..
About 3'6" long, 18" wide, and 2' deep.

It had been the site of a compost heap, was probably easy digging, and full of juicy, wriggly things..
Dad found it, when the trestle holding the scaffold plank he was standing on to cut the top of the hedge, disappeared from under him.

It was infilled, and covered with two old steel shelves, which are still there.

Phil.P

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:33 pm

This is the wonderful 'Spooner's Boat' model from Porterhouse Models, which I showed on Dec. 26th 2022. It was originally intended for use on the Ffestiniog Railway and ran downhill by gravity. It then operated across the Cobb with the aid of a sail, fitted at Boston Lodge, to complete the journey into Porthmadog. This model is motorised, although an un-motorised option is also available ....
IMG_9215.JPG
IMG_9215.JPG (127.68 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
Here it is today, this time complete with driver figure (from David Clavey) and sail, which now makes it possible to use on my level track and still look correct as I don't have inclines on my line....
IMG_9249.JPG
IMG_9249.JPG (114.95 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
IMG_9250.JPG
IMG_9250.JPG (125.24 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
IMG_9251.JPG
IMG_9251.JPG (103.7 KiB) Viewed 2206 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:19 pm

That does look good, Peter. Of course, you could always add RC to the sail's mainsheet so you can have it properly wind powered and tack into the wind.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:16 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:19 pm That does look good, Peter. Of course, you could always add RC to the sail's mainsheet so you can have it properly wind powered and tack into the wind.

Rik
Why stop there Rik? With just a little careful planning I might be able to install a sound system with whistling wjnds, flapping sails and cries of 'Thar she blows' !!!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:57 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:16 pm
ge_rik wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:19 pm That does look good, Peter. Of course, you could always add RC to the sail's mainsheet so you can have it properly wind powered and tack into the wind.

Rik
Why stop there Rik? With just a little careful planning I might be able to install a sound system with whistling wjnds, flapping sails and cries of 'Thar she blows' !!!
Now you're talking .......

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:29 pm

Where does the time go?... the last entry on this thread was dated Feb 12th. and although I have been reading and posting elsewhere I haven't added anything here. I will try to catch-up with recent developments now.
A number of things have been added to the BURPS collection during that time, including some 3D printed bits from a friend.
A life-belt and stand for my harbour scene....
231_0013.JPG
231_0013.JPG (266.12 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
A cement mixer to fix on the stores van of the Drain Train...
231_0014.JPG
231_0014.JPG (260.23 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
Some bespoke lettering (vinyl) to add to my fuel oil tanker...
231_0033.JPG
231_0033.JPG (288.36 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
and a very sorry looking GRS locomotive...
IMG_9234.JPG
IMG_9234.JPG (89.18 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
The latter will be the subject of a restore and re-build story.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:21 am

Love the extra detailing. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the new saddle tank. It's always satisfying to save something like that.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:56 pm

This is to trace the re-build of the saddle tank loco, which was a GRS kit assembled by some unknown builder and handed down to me by my good friend Brian.
As can be seen from the following picture, the foot-plate had been cut and dropped at the front of the cab.... very strange as the step wasn't included in the metal chassis frame, resulting in the whole length of the locomotive gently sloping down towards the front!
IMG_9254.JPG
IMG_9254.JPG (76.15 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
The original green paint wouldn't accept grey primer, even after sanding, so it all had to be removed. Nitromors would barely touch it, so scraping and rubbing with wire-wool was the only way forward. Eventually it was clean enough to start all over again....
IMG_9233.JPG
IMG_9233.JPG (97.93 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
IMG_9254.JPG
IMG_9254.JPG (76.15 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
A complete new footplate was cut and assembled with the firebox attached and a wooden effect floor installed...
231_0003.JPG
231_0003.JPG (246.89 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
The electronics came with the model but had to be re-sited...
231_0005.JPG
231_0005.JPG (280.9 KiB) Viewed 1752 times

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:06 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:56 pm The original green paint wouldn't accept grey primer, even after sanding, so it all had to be removed. Nitromors would barely touch it, so scraping and rubbing with wire-wool was the only way forward. Eventually it was clean enough to start all over again....
Don't you just love modern paints? It looks like the solvent in the primer attacked the existing paint, you'd pay a fortune for that finish on furniture. ;)

Nitromors was never sold here in Oz, but I think it was reformulated due to EC paranoia about Dichloromethane. 'Safe' replacements never work as well as the original in my experience. All part of life's rich tapestry......... Sigh!!! :roll:

I can still get automotive grade paint stripper locally, that will strip two pack acrylic back to bare metal, but it attacks plastic, including resins. On plastic models I use caustic soda (oven cleaner) to remove old paint. It's slow to lift acrylic paints and works better on enamels, but it won't attack plastics.

The new footplate looks much better than the original and the loco won't look like a rack loco now. I'm sure the model will be as well finished as your other models when complete.

Regards,
Graeme

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:11 pm

The RC included everything, battery pack, Deltang receiver etc. as it was already a fully operational loco, just not a pretty sight! Some modifications were necessary to make items fit and have accessible wiring, including plugs and sockets for removal if required....
231_0004.JPG
231_0004.JPG (268.98 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
The cylinders had never been painted (?) so gave little trouble. Firebox needed some cleaning and painting too...
IMG_9256.JPG
IMG_9256.JPG (73.94 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
The original cab had pre-cast (raised) spectacle rings and were of quite small diameter, so I filed them flat, drilled them out and searched for replacement brass rings in my spares box. Unfortunately, I could only find one pair so e-mailed my colleagues in the local area garden railway group for advice on suppliers. Straight away I had two replies to offer to make a pair to match them. One of which came from someone I had never met. He asked for details and within about three days they were delivered to me FOC! Wonderful to have such supportive friends in the hobby!
After spraying and reassembly I thought something was missing.... lining! So, another very kind friend offered to cut some from self adhesive vinyl using her cutting machine. I took the loco for measuring and colour selection and decided to have a three-line, white-black-white pattern. This is achieved by cutting a broad white background then overlaying a thin black line in the centre, amazing!...
231_0048.JPG
231_0048.JPG (275.56 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
She was even able to follow the curves of the cab roof and saddle tank...
231_0049.JPG
231_0049.JPG (278.22 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
231_0047.JPG
231_0047.JPG (267.73 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
A final coat of clear satin lacquer and a much improved locomotive joined the fleet!