Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:09 am

FWLR wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:23 am Would I be right in saying that 15mm scale is on the lines of 7/8th's, or am I completely talking rubbish.
Hi Rod!

15mm scale is 15mm to the foot, so like 16mm, but each foot of the real thing is represented by 15mm, 1mm less than in the scale you work to. It tends to be used to model 3' gauge prototypes (such as the Irish NG lines, the Southwold, and the IoM), which are usually modelled using 45mm track (3 x 15 = 45). It also means that the models work out just a little smaller all round than if 16mm scale was used - which can be useful if you're mixing and matching your prototypes, because much (but not al!) 3' stock is/was rather bigger than its 2' counterparts.

7/8ths scale uses 7/8ths of an inch to the foot, so the scale is bigger than 16mm scale - it enables 32mm track to represent 18" gauge prototypes, or 45mm track to represent 2' ones, and in both instances the bigger scale can be used to good effect, eg to add more detail or to enable smaller prototype locos to be modelled for easily. Hope that helps!

Great looking models Peter! I hope you've not completely abandoned scratchbuilding though, I love your unique creations?!

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:27 pm

Another kit on the workbench. I spotted this on eBay for just £20.00 and thought I would take a chance. It came from Ash Models, who was unfamiliar to me, and was reduced in price as it had no wheels. Great, I thought, as I always swap plastic wheels supplied and fit metal ones, so this is a saving. I have just checked the Ash Models website and about 90% of items are sold out! Is it possible they are closing down?
The kit is a livestock wagon, laser cut from MDF but very basic, both in parts and detail, being only a floor, four sides and a roof, no overlays......
IMG_8008.JPG
IMG_8008.JPG (120.49 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
The chassis comprises flat sides with four holes to take axles and MDF 'springs' to stick on.
Overall, the general appearance is OK (from a distance) and with careful painting and extra detailing it should be more acceptable. The main problem is the size, which wasn't given at the point of sale. It is very small indeed and I am struggling to find suitably scaled animals of any description to put inside.
I am persevering with it but have low expectations for it as a usable item of rolling stock....
IMG_8043.JPG
IMG_8043.JPG (91.5 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:41 pm

Sudden change of plan! I have decided I have enough projects which I would enjoy far more than completing this livestock wagon (shown in the previous post) so it is now offered for sale in its unfinished state and can be seen in the 'For Sale' section on the Forum. As I paid little for it I am asking only the cost of 2nd class postage 'and hope someone else can get the benefit of an entry level stock item which would be ideal for the kids to use.
£3.20 is all I ask to cover postage.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:19 pm

Well, that's goodbye to the livestock wagon (thank you) and hello to a new project.
I have had an interest in one of these wagons for a while and looked for a suitable kit. I know that Yatton M.E. make one. which looks good, although quite pricey with the £12.00 delivery charge, and GRS offer a kit which is perpetually out of stock and might have been discontinued?
So, back to the old reliable (for me) eBay, and suddenly there was one offered. I had to bid and was fortunate enough to win, against stern competition I must say.
However, it turned out to be a steal as it came in two parts. This was the one which I had searched for.....
IMG_8035.JPG
IMG_8035.JPG (89.44 KiB) Viewed 3437 times

And this is the bonus which came with it......
IMG_8031.JPG
IMG_8031.JPG (91.66 KiB) Viewed 3437 times

It is based on the Leek and Manifold Railway transporter wagon, made by GRS, this appears to be aluminium base with rivet detail either cast or embossed. It has been used and needs some TLC, also conversion from 45 to 32mm gauge.... no problem!
The tank wagon is all plastic and has been painted with household paint, judging by the smell when sanding. I think a toilet brush was the only one available at the time! It needs work to transform it from toy to model, again, I'm up for that and looking forward to the task.
Watch this space...

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:26 pm

What a curious wagon!

If I didn’t have such a backlog of carriage kits (and the £12 postage!) this would make an interesting foray into wagons! Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:19 pm It is based on the Leek and Manifold Railway transporter wagon, made by GRS, this appears to be aluminium base with rivet detail either cast or embossed. It has been used and needs some TLC, also conversion from 45 to 32mm gauge.... no problem!
What a wonderful subject for a model - this is going to look wonderful once it has been through the BURPS works!

So it's currently running on 45mm gauge wheels, then, and to be converted to 32mm? What is the gauge on top? In 16mm scale standard gauge is around 75mm but I don't think anything is commercially produced in that scale so I know gauge 3 is often used... is it that or is it something else?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:46 am

As built, the track gauge on top of the transporter is 65mm, representing 4'0", (which I believe was the same as Padarn Railway?). I think the rail supplied with the GRS kit could have been set to standard gauge as there is ample room on the platforms either side. It looks as though the original builder had the tanker and just gauged to suit.
I'm perfectly happy with the appearance as it is clearly wider gauge than the transporter, so makes the purpose quite obvious.
What the scale of the tanker is I have no idea, although it is not a scale model, more a 'toy' made to take some knocks. It has an opening filer cap and possibly a working tap on one side, which leads me to think it was aimed at younger users?
IMG_8051.JPG
IMG_8051.JPG (90.72 KiB) Viewed 3339 times
This shows it after much sanding to remove old paint, spraying with plastic primer, the addition of walkway supports on top, and an access ladder at one end.
The chassis has also been modified by cutting away half of the platforms sited underneath the tank (what was that for?) now showing more of the chassis construction, which is quite well detailed. I have fitted coupling hooks as there were none supplied. In my 'useful one day' box I found a pair of brass moulded couplings kits, which I bought for something(?) years ago. They are possibly gauge 1 and look perfect on the tanker. The plastic disc wheels had to go so now it has metal tyred, spoked wheels of the same diameter
The whole thing was painted with plastic primer, sprayed matt black and dry brushed with rusty red/brown acrylic......
IMG_8042.JPG
IMG_8042.JPG (95.07 KiB) Viewed 3339 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:57 am

That is going to be another brilliant build Peter. I had seen this myself, but it got too much for me. Glad you got it though. I know you will make it look far better than I ever could.
Hope it won't take too long to see it when it's finished. One thing, is the height or would the height be a problem if there was tunnels or bridges. Its a daft question I know... :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:20 pm

You have a valid point there Rod and it might be a concern for some, but I don't have any over-bridges due to the need to run my Emetts occasionally. Whether there were height restrictions on the L&MR I have no idea, but I'm sure that would have been taken into account at the time of building the railway.
No room for these on the previous post so included now....
IMG_8036.JPG
IMG_8036.JPG (103.25 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
IMG_8052.JPG
IMG_8052.JPG (90.11 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
This shows the brass couplings described above. They make such a difference to the appearance of the wagon.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Now I do like them.. :coolphotos :thumbleft:

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:51 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:46 am What the scale of the tanker is I have no idea, although it is not a scale model, more a 'toy' made to take some knocks. It has an opening filer cap and possibly a working tap on one side, which leads me to think it was aimed at younger users?
Do you think it could be the Newqida tanker wagon with some of the bits moved/removed? I have one somewhere, I will try to dig out and post a pic for comparison.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:39 pm

There was a tunnel on the L&MR which had quite generous clearances - see beginning and 1m 24s

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:06 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:19 pm Image
Unadulterated Newqida wagon for comparison:
tempImagedwqmfK.gif
tempImagedwqmfK.gif (145.25 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
Subtract some of the bits and pieces, add in 'standard gauge' buffers... do we have a match?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:20 pm

Yes Simon, I'm sure you have identified it. From what I have seen before they are good value for money and lend themselves to improvement. Mine had obviously had the 45mm gauge wheels pushed to their limit and wouldn't turn.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:25 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:20 pm Yes Simon, I'm sure you have identified it. From what I have seen before they are good value for money and lend themselves to improvement. Mine had obviously had the 45mm gauge wheels pushed to their limit and wouldn't turn.
Well you don't want it rolling off the transporter wagon, and that saves on chocks! :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:20 pm

That's a wonderful film - nice to see the transporter wagon in action too.

It'll certainly make an interesting addition to your goods trains Peter!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Well, cart before the horse springs to mind. The transporter wagon is still waiting for its wheels to be fitted. Metal sets from I.P. have arrived and I wanted to see whether I could fit bogies (as per the prototype) but I doubt it would cope with the curves, so 4 wheels it will be.
In the meantime I have concentrated on the tanker and it is now ready to be mounted on the wagon, no pressure then!

Edit.... this has been repeated below due to a system error, just ignore and move on.....
Last edited by Peter Butler on Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:30 pm

Well, cart before the horse springs to mind..... The transporter wagon is still waiting for its wheels to be fitted. Metal sets from I.P. have arrived and I wanted to see whether I could fit bogies (as per the prototype) but I doubt they would have enough room to cope with the curves, so 4 wheels it will be. Also, the prospect of railing the wagon when none of the bogie wheels would be visible makes it a non-starter, even my railing ramp would be too tall for the low ends of the wagon to pass.
In the meantime I have concentrated on the tanker and it is now ready to be mounted on the wagon, no pressure then!.....

IMG_8067.JPG
IMG_8067.JPG (81.91 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
IMG_8065.JPG
IMG_8065.JPG (77.94 KiB) Viewed 3169 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:23 pm

The underside of the transporter wagon has limited width for wheels so a support to hold brass bearings had to be made from HIP. The IP wheels are installed and something resembling springs (left over from one of my Rocket kits) fitted for effect.......
IMG_8069.JPG
IMG_8069.JPG (90.73 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
On top there are now wheel-chocks to stop the wagon from rolling, I have no idea what the prototype used but these will do......
IMG_8070.JPG
IMG_8070.JPG (87.46 KiB) Viewed 3191 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:29 pm

Just about finished, the whole transporter wagon has been sprayed with grey primer followed by matt black on the underside. The top has been hand painted with an acrylic colour wash to muck it up a little, the chequer plate I previously fitted to the side platforms has been dry brushed with a silver acrylic to show foot wear on the raised areas, the rail has a rusty side and silvered top. To seal it a satin lacquer has been applied.....
IMG_8078.JPG
IMG_8078.JPG (98.45 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
IMG_8079.JPG
IMG_8079.JPG (116.53 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Overall I think it is a slight improvement.