Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:02 pm

Continuing with the kit reviews I was doing while making up the Bug Box vehicles, I thought I would add the Ffestiniog 'Sentry' Guards Van to complete the set. I was introduced to the Jurassic range, which I have never tried before, and ordered the kit. This is the TM1 kit which Mike produces for £40.00 (including postage).
His communication was excellent and delivery prompt.
The kit includes the wooden parts only, no wheels, buffers or detail parts. It is well cut from sturdy plywood to form the inner shell and high quality hardwood outer lining side and end panel overlays with well defined planking etc......
IMG_7413.JPG
IMG_7413.JPG (104.23 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
I had one problem however..... the DVD supplied to show how to assemble the kit would not play, this was no fault of the DVD itself, rather my inability to operate my own equipment, so I had to wing it.
It went together well and was easy enough to assemble, even without instructions......
IMG_7415.JPG
IMG_7415.JPG (115.12 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
IMG_7414.JPG
IMG_7414.JPG (106.63 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
IMG_7416.JPG
IMG_7416.JPG (106.79 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
IMG_7417.JPG
IMG_7417.JPG (102.53 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
I always paint overlays separately and attach later, this was no exception and worked well......
IMG_7423.JPG
IMG_7423.JPG (120.46 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
IMG_7422.JPG
IMG_7422.JPG (128.18 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
IMG_7424.JPG
IMG_7424.JPG (116.65 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
Fortunately I had wheels and bearings in stock which I fitted to the chassis sides supplied. I added spacers to the side frames to make a complete separate unit which made it easier to attach later.....
IMG_7426.JPG
IMG_7426.JPG (120.98 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
IMG_7427.JPG
IMG_7427.JPG (113.21 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
So..... overall a very well thought out kit of good quality materials. Very good service from Mike and great value for money.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:56 pm

I really must become more 'regular' in my browsing of the forum, but I have at least had the pleasure of reading the 'Great Ffestiniog Kit Build' in one go. Your productivity and attention to detail never fail to impress Peter - well done. Like many, I hadn't heard of the Jerry Irwin kits, so thanks for bringing those to our attention.
I had a conversation with Ivan a couple of years ago at Llanfair. I wanted another freelance 4 wheel coach and he was producing them in plywood again (my previous had been mdf). He said that was what the customers appeared to want, so he had reverted to it.. Like you, I think the mdf gives a superior finish.
Good stuff yet again.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:14 am

Hi Peter,
Is the lambs tongue effect on the frame work a product of clever laser work or diligent building?
Tim

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:01 am

Great review on this build Peter. Another to consider, but I need to buy more wheels and bearings and axle boxes. But it confuses me on what size wheels to buy. There are a lot of kits with different sizes in height and width, so for me using the correct wheels is a bit of an issue. Still it's fun building new kits and hoping that I have got the correct wheels.... :roll: :roll:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:21 am

11thHour wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:14 am Hi Peter,
Is the lambs tongue effect on the frame work a product of clever laser work or diligent building?
Tim
So that's what it's called. I was going to ask the same question, except I didn't know the nomenclature. I assume we're both referring to the fancy bevelling on the outside framework? If not, was it done for you or is it further evidence of your steady hand and attention to detail?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:43 am

The lamb's tongue effect is laser cut into the kit. It is the main reason I decided to buy that kit as it represents an important detail of the prototype. It isn't shown at its best in the picture as the strong natural light reflects from the surfaces, they are not as pronounced as that when viewed close up.
I spent some time sanding, sealing, sanding etc. etc..... to make a good paint surface and I am satisfied with the result. Due to the panel being cut from plywood, the end grain of underlying layers becomes exposed making it more difficult to get a perfect finish. If this had been cut from MDF I think the effect could be improved.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:14 am

What's the "lambs tongue effect".. :withstupid: :lol: :lol:

Not the best at these things, I have looked and looked at the photos, but I can't see a "lambs tongue effect" for the life of me... :mrgreen:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:46 am

I must admit I hadn't heard the expression 'lambs tongue' either Rod, but it seems to be the name given to the parallel bevel edges on the framework supporting the side planking. It is another detail which wouldn't be considered today on cost grounds but shows off the skill of the craftsmen building the original 19th.C. van.
IMG_7428.JPG
IMG_7428.JPG (97.3 KiB) Viewed 5095 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:09 am

Beveled edge, of course I can see it now. Funny expression that though, "Lambs Tongue" :lol: :lol:

Thanks Peter for the explanation. :thumbright:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:42 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:46 am I must admit I hadn't heard the expression 'lambs tongue' either Rod, but it seems to be the name given to the parallel bevel edges on the framework supporting the side planking. It is another detail which wouldn't be considered today on cost grounds but shows off the skill of the craftsmen building the original 19th.C. van.
I couldn't find a clear enough photo of the prototype sentry van online, but the decoration looks like what's known as a 'stopped bevel', which can be done with a spindle moulder. Although as Peter says, it would have been done with hand tools when the original sentry vans were built in the 19th C.

A lambs tongue is a more complex shape used to finish the end of the bevel. There's a blog here showing how to make one using hand tools, starting from a machined stopped bevel. https://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/2 ... s-tongues/

To complicate matters, here in Oz the term lambs tongue is also used to describe an edwardian moulding design used for skirting boards and architraves. Bunnings still sell it.......

Regards,
Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Hello!

Just catching up after a busy few days - that van's lovely Peter! A very nice kit, beautifully made.

They were still beveling edges after the Victorian era, at Swindon at least - I took a ride on the Avon Valley Railway's "Toad" 1940-built brake last year, and the chap who'd overseen its restoration pointed out how they'd recreated that look when they'd had to replace some wood around the windows.

The "Flying Bench" with its covers is wonderful too. There's more information here if you're interested: https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/The_Flying_Bench

I've got an IP kit for one of them in their later guise, rebuilt as "porthole" bug boxes, which I must get round to building some time.

Anyway, congratulations, the two of them make a fine end to a splendid rake.

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:03 pm

Thanks Andrew, I did use that link during my very basic research into the tent canopy structure. That is about all I could find but I was able to copy enough detail from the pictures to make a reasonable representation. I think it passes my 'looks like' test, so I'm happy with the end result.
It would be nice to see your IP 'Porthole' carriage under construction and how you find the build compares with others you have made. Every manufacturer differs in materials and assembly, which is what I tried to show with my reviews.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:50 am

Thanks for your reply Graeme. It looks like the website won't work in European countries I'am afraid :|

Still you have explained a bit more about what a "Lambs Tongue" is. Thank you. :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 pm

Having now completed the Bug Box kits I had an opportunity to run all ten vehicles on the railway today. Beforehand the weather has said 'No!' to that possibility, with rain falling heavily to make up for the long dry spell we have recently enjoyed???
It was certainly gratifying to see them all following in line behind the double Fairlie, and they all behaved themselves perfectly....
IMG_7446.JPG
IMG_7446.JPG (193.51 KiB) Viewed 5745 times

IMG_7442.JPG
IMG_7442.JPG (195.43 KiB) Viewed 5745 times
IMG_7443.JPG
IMG_7443.JPG (167.4 KiB) Viewed 5745 times

I am still unsure about the Lamb's Tongue description and having checked on Google I have discovered that it is usually more common on skirting, or other flat timber ornament, on one edge only. I then looked up 'Stopped chamfer' and this seems to be more of the style I imagine is used on the Sentry Van, although it might include a convex or concave element too?
Good question for a pub quiz, but that will have to wait !

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:44 am

Now that is a train. Looks brilliant Peter and so in keeping with your line, which by the way is still one of the best on the forum.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:36 am

My, my, but they do look good. Even more so that they run smoothly.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:34 pm

Not much happening here at the moment, poor weather recently and not a kit in sight!
I did a quick inspection of the railway to check on plant growth, storm damage etc. and discovered this......
IMG_7448.JPG
IMG_7448.JPG (179.96 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Natural creeper (?) of some sort growing quite realistically up the rear wall of the disused forge, if you wanted it to it would never happen!

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Difficult to be sure from that distance, but it looks rather like "Creeping Thyme" to me.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG (206.85 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:23 pm

Peter could crush a leaf between his fingers and give it a sniff....

Reminds me of an occasion when I was a primary school teacher about thirty years ago. I had taken a party of kids into Wales and we were walking along a nature trail (beside the lake at Llanberis) when I spotted some wild mint. I plucked a piece and stuck it under my nose, to show the assembled group of children. Immediately, they did the same - apart from one child who picked a leaf, shoved it under his nose and yelled in pain. He'd mistaken a nettle for mint.....

No doubt these days I'd be sued by his parents for not doing a proper risk assessment...

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:18 pm

I guess mint and nettle do bear a striking resemblance to each other if you're a youngster. A nettle under a redcurrant bush caught me out yesterday, the resemblance there is only a passing one - and I'm no younster!

That is definitely creeping thyme Peter. It's great ground cover, quite pretty and easy to grow but................................... it does tend to creep! Mine has crept all the way across the track in several places in only 8 weeks!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"