Time to build a railway...but where?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Time to build a railway...but where?

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 am

Many thanks for all your nice comments Rod, it would be a pleasure to meet you and Anne and re-unite your Billy with the railway.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:05 am

Blimey! They're bloomin' good (both the loco and the signal box). :thumbright:
So, you're not going to whittle 32 individual 16mm scale chess pieces out of a couple of match sticks! I am disappointed. ;)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks Rik, I was hoping someone might volunteer to 3D print some chess pieces for me!
On second thoughts.... there might be some out there already in the dolls house market or from a Chinese supplier?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:22 am

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am Thanks Rik, I was hoping someone might volunteer to 3D print some chess pieces for me!
On second thoughts.... there might be some out there already in the dolls house market or from a Chinese supplier?
I hate to admit defeat, but I think 16mm chess men are beyond me, and I suspect beyond this particular technology even for somebody who actually knows what he is doing!

PS Edited to add, try this instead:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... t&_sacat=0
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks for the link Philip, they look wonderful but unfortunately too big! 1:12 scale works for certain items but my chess board is at least 10mm smaller in 1:19.
I think we might be pushing the boundaries here..... I doubt they would be seen in there. I plan to fix the roof in place so visibility will be restricted.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Yes, I thought that too, was just be silly really. Although given that chess men come in different sizes, a 1/24 set might work if there is such a thing. Actually, short lengths of plain plasticard rod, might be enough to suggest the pieces?
Philip

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 pm

Great work on the loco and well the signal box looks fantastic

In summary................ 180!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:00 pm Yes, I thought that too, was just be silly really. Although given that chess men come in different sizes, a 1/24 set might work if there is such a thing. Actually, short lengths of plain plasticard rod, might be enough to suggest the pieces?
I think the signalman might be happier playing draughts - easier to model

Rik
------------------------

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:56 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:00 pm Although given that chess men come in different sizes, a 1/24 set might work if there is such a thing. Actually, short lengths of plain plasticard rod, might be enough to suggest the pieces?
This set is a snip at £. . . https://www.etsy.com/listing/235598394/ ... ature-with

You’re not saving for live steam are you :roll:

Andy
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 pm

RylstonLight wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:56 pm This set is a snip at £. . . https://www.etsy.com/listing/235598394/ ... ature-with
Andy
Hurry up, there's only this one left.

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm
I think the signalman might be happier playing draughts - easier to model

Rik
Speaking personally (as a volunteer Signalman of some 30 years experience) I have to say I prefer a good book and the radio (Don't tell the Inspector! :? )

Great work Peter, the detail is as superb as ever, I can almost hear the clock ticking!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Thank you Andrew, if you are happy with the interior then that is praise indeed! I know there are major fittings not included but I think it is sufficient to tell the story.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Wow, the loco looks spot on Peter. I must try and pop over soon for a spot of envious drooling.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:53 pm

That lokie is sharp! :thumbup:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:38 pm

Bit of a Baldwin update.... although the mechanics work well on a test rig, they failed the first run on the railway. That is to say, the loco didn't like curves!
This has been an issue from the beginning and I have completed the build first before attempting to fully rectify the running problem. Some might say that is the wrong way of doing things and I'm sure you would be correct in that, however, the chassis can't be altered without the bodywork being attached to see where any obstructions are located so, this time it had to be this way.
Slaters say it will negotiate a 4'6" radius..... well, my line has very gentle curves and it would not go round any of them without the bogie derailing. Looking very closely at the bogie itself I found the original design, although possibly prototypical, was unsuited to scale use, also the frames themselves were preventing any sideways travel of the bogie as the wheels would not go beneath them...... Bring out the cutting tool!
A lot of grinding followed, cutting through the bar frame completely and installing a high level beam above the wheels. The pivot point on the bogie also required some attention as the geometry wouldn't allow it just to pivot without allowing sideways movement too. A new plate was attached and a slot was cut to allow a bolt to slide against a smooth surface which I installed beneath the smokebox saddle. At the same time I filled all available spaces in the bogie frames with lead to help keep it firmly against the track.
Even then there was nowhere near enough space for the bogie to turn into even gentle curves so the inner faces of cylinders had to go too!
Once I had started this process there was no turning back. It would either be a showcase queen or a butchered runner. It is now a beautiful looking, fully operational locomotive with no external signs of modification...... just don't look underneath!
IMG_5310.JPG
IMG_5310.JPG (116.26 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
IMG_5309.JPG
IMG_5309.JPG (113.73 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
I would love to hear of anyone else's experience with this kit, I have searched on-line but found no reference to it anywhere.

Anyway, job done now and it has a nice storage box to live in to keep it clean and safe until required for a running session...
IMG_5311.JPG
IMG_5311.JPG (105.6 KiB) Viewed 4505 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:09 am

Those front wheels are awfully close to the cylinders Peter, but you have done your magic again :thumbright:

Nice little box for her too… :thumbright:

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:36 am

That is certainly a fair amount of metal removal, full marks for having the courage to do it. I see that you have weighted the bogie but is there springing of any description between the bogie and the loco frames?
I have for sometime had one of these Slaters kits on my wish list but I don't somehow think that I will get it to go around my 3ft curves!
Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am

You are right Phil, a whole load of original material is now in the bin! I had little option but to tackle the issue if I ever wanted to use the loco, it was so disappointing and frustrating looking at a beautiful machine refusing to go 'off piste'. I tried removing the rear bogie wheels first to see whether the binding was there but to no avail.
The additional weight helps with keeping the wheels in contact with the rails if there is a slight dip in the track, there is enough play to allow the front pair to drop a little. However, there is no room for suspension as the bogie slides on a smooth plate and is permanently in contact on the level.
I don't know what market this kit was designed to satisfy..... excellent as a detailed static model although able to be motorised for use but with severe limitations.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:46 pm

That's disappointing, Peter. For a kit of that price and complexity, you would have thought they would have ironed out the most basic of user demands - ie making sure it runs OK. Good job you're used to fettling!

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am I don't know what market this kit was designed to satisfy..... excellent as a detailed static model although able to be motorised for use but with severe limitations.
You've beaten it into submission and ended up with a nice model in spite of the design, so you can be proud of that.

I've also struck loco kits like that in the past, designed for a market that demands every detail that opens and shuts, but which doesn't seem interested it whether it actually runs or not.

One wonders if the designers of some of these 'high end' kits ever bother putting together a test kit and running it extensively before releasing it on the market......

Regards,
Graeme