The (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks for the kind comments chaps, glad you enjoyed the photos...

My plum trains were partly inspired by Brian Clarke (Saltford Models) articles in SMT over 20 years ago - lots of agricultural goings-on with grotty little trucks!

I'm enjoying your use of the word "bucolic" to describe my little line Rik, to the point where I've got my seriously under-used "Moelwyn" on charge at the moment to provide more rustic-looking motive power than the RH Little John. I think it might receive its overdue repaint and a little weathering over the coming winter...

Actually, you've got me wondering whether quaint backwater might not be a better theme for a small garden than the straggling and remote Welsh Highland. I've been there and done that with my old West Kent Light Railway, but I reckon I could do it a whole lot better if I were to re-visit the theme now... ... Perhaps when I'm fabulously wealthy and own a vast plot of land I shall do both...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Evening all...

Despite the weather I ran some trains over the BH weekend, but it wasn't all plain sailing...

On Saturday I took the WD Baldwin out for the first time in a year - the lack of use was partly because the track needed fettling to suit its rather sensitive pony truck and partly because I'd lost the charger - oops... It was a lovely run - the Baldwin took the three WHR carriages for the first time and coped admirably, slipping obligingly realistically on the later runs as the track got a little greasy... No pictures of that because I'd decided to keep things simple and just enjoy the run- which I did.

On Sunday a little (WH)WHR history was made with the first running of two independent steam trains - I'd previously run a double-header and had brief periods where a battery-powered train has supplemented a steam one, but this was a first. Surely such an auspicious occasion was brilliantly-planned and executed, and was carefully recorded for posterity?? Alas, no - it was fun, but also complete chaos, and the only record is through some pictures a friend took on his phone in failing light...

The evening went something like this... Our dinner guests both fancied having a go at driving a train, so I decided to steam two locos. The idea was that I'd manage the locos, provide the odd word of advice and otherwise stand back to enjoy the spectacle, camera at the ready - and they'd run the trains... It didn't turn out quite like that... It seems that the run-round procedure, the concept of passing loops, and realistic light railway speeds  can be difficult for novice, non-enthusiast drivers to grasp - and that two locos (one I wasn't very familiar with, the other experiencing R/C problems) was one too many... The result was something like an Ealing Comedy...

The two trains did run together briefly, and did look great leaving the loop at Penlan in opposite directions, but it didn't last long! I'd forgotten that the Baldwin has a very limited boiler capacity, so it ran out of water after a couple of round trips and was relegated to a siding:

By then "Russell" had succumbed to radio problems (dodgy connections I think), leaving Thunderbird "Margaret" - driven by none other than Captain Haddock - to keep the show vaguely on the road:

"Russell"'s electrical gubbins was coaxed back into life and further two train running ensued:

Finally for Sunday, here's a shot of yours truly (I'm the big one with his head in a bush) and son Jonah desparately trying to undertake all the coupling, uncoupling, point-changing and re-railing required to keep two rookie drivers up and running:

Poor Jonah had only come out to have a bounce on the trampoline (hence the bare feet!) but was quickly pressed into service as a shunter instead...

On Monday I thought I'd enjoy the calm and have another, more relaxing, run with the Baldwin - this time with proper photos. So, here she is about to set off from Trefechan:

And here she is again, still sitting there 20 minutes later, with nothing on the clock, because - having raised steam - I realised that in the previous day's excitement I'd forgotten to turn the electrics off and had drained the batteries. Oh well...

What would the Fat Controller say?!!

Andrew.

mightymax
Cleaner
Cleaner

hi

Post by mightymax » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:00 am

What wood did you use for the pedestrian level crossing, it looks great.
Andrew:111172 wrote:Hello again,

I've been cracking on with scenic work at Clarach, the upper terminus of the (WH)WHR.

The barrow crossing has been completed, the track ballasted, and a "platform" surface applied:

The platform is supposed to look like the ones on the McAlpine-constructed (ie non-NWNGR) bits of the Welsh Highland, a simple gravel surface separated from the track by a simple plank or strip of wood. It's 4mm scale ballast (blooming expensive!) mixed with sieved earth, with added earth at the back and ends where the graveled bit is being reclaimed by Mother Nature. Both ballast and platform surface are held in place with SBR which seems to be working well, although there's some cracking on the bits that are just earth which will need a little more work, as does the bit at the back.

It's all a little tidy and perhaps a bit bland at the moment, but some more detail and natural weathering should help sort that out. At some point I'll disguise some of the rear fence with some slate too...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:37 am

Hello,

Glad you like the crossing, I was pleased with how it turned out. The crossing timbers are some wooden sleepers I was given years ago, quite possibly so old that the creosote's the real thing. You might be able to get some secondhand somewhere - or drop me a pm and I could stick some spare ones in a jiffy bag, I think I've got quite a lot left.

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Loving the crossing as well Andrew, looks great.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Good evening!

Further two train running has been taking place on the (WH)WHR, this time on Monday with our first visiting steamer, John Rogers' lovely "Wild Rose", Hereward the Wake. John's little Hunslet pottered up and down merrily with various slate wagons and its very own Zecar Momentum Van, while my Russell and Baldwin powered the passenger service.

Once again I failed to take any photos (I'd temporarily mislaid the camera!), but John got some on his phone. Here's Hereward... pootling through Penlan...

And shunting in a vague approximation of a quarry scene...

The little loco performed very well on the steep gradients, but proved once again that the (WH)WHR isn't ideal for manual locos! All in all, a lovely morning - it's so nice to see the line working as designed, with trains waiting for each other in the loops before steaming off in opposite directions. Further visitors would be most welcome.

Having got all the rolling stock out, and found the camera, and remembered just what a lovely loco the Baldwin is, I played a little more in the afternoon...

Here's 590 trundling downhill with the goods...

Running round at Trefechan:

And, having ditched the wagons in Penlan loop, running a passenger service:

She's beginning to look quite at home, don't you think? I'm going to crack on with "590"-ifying her now... She's a very docile loco to run, but pleasingly challenging too - like the real thing, she's not as powerful as Russell , and, also like the real thing, she's prone to slipping on greasy rails or with heavy trains. I had some spectacular runs up the bank, only just making it on some runs, but I think I need to either revisit the idea of a rail-cleaning wagon or reduce her load in slippery conditions, I don't want to wear her out...

Guess that's all for now,

Andrew.

robyholmes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by robyholmes » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:00 pm

Lovely pictures, hope for some brakes in the rain this weekend to have a running myself.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:55 am

Morning all,

A day off work yesterday coinciding with some lovely bright autumn sunshine seemed like a great opportunity for a steam-up. In the event we went for a (very pleasant) walk instead and the day was drawing to a close by the time I got out into the garden, so these photos aren't great, but they're a record of a pleasant half-hour...

Here's Daisy and train awaiting the off at Trefechan:

Storming Penlan Bank (well, trundling up it as only a geared loco can... ) - with an impressive plume of steam:

Non-stop through Penlan on the way up the line;

and pausing, rather impatiently, on the way back down:

And arriving back at Trefechan - having collected the apple harvest on the way:

The apple tree's still only a little one and is supposed to be a Cox's Orange Pippin, but I don't think it is - the apples are bright red, huge and very sour. I'd read somewhere - wrongly it seems - that they ought to be harvested at the end of October, so by the time I got round to it only this one was left on the tree, although we salvaged some of the windfalls... Whatever variety it is it's popular with woodlice - every apple had a small colony living inside which had to be encouraged to leave before being turned into apple crumble...

More trains next weekend I hope...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:37 pm

That steam up must have been cream on the cake (or is it custard on apple crumble) for the day. We also have very large apples on our small tree but we have managed to pick most. We also had visiting woodlice in some.
Regards Graham.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Afternoon all,

Who'd have thought being a father of four would keep you so busy?! No time for the Exeter show yesterday, and I didn't manage to get out into the garden in time to enjoy the moody mistiness or the lovely autumn light this morning, but I did have a run this afternoon...

Like the old WHR for most of its existence, passenger trains on the (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland are seasonal, to suit the little plastic tourists who wish to view the scenic splendour of my back garden. Today saw the last passenger trains of the year, consisting of a couple of closed carriages hauled by the Baldwin. Here she is awaiting the off at an Autumnal looking Trefechan:

I had go at making another film too but the results are really too awful to do anything with - a useful tool for improving my ability to achieve realistic running though I hope... On top of my erratic running (which had mostly looked fine until I watched it back!) the transmitter started bleeping wildly to tell me that its batteries were running low, and the camera picked that up on the soundtrack, not terribly realistic. I suppose the transmitter thought my model plane was about to crash into a primary school playground or something, but in fact it managed to operate my little loco quite happily for the whole run - apart from the maddening bleeping of course...

Oh well, now that the high pressure (!!!) of the passenger season is over I can trundle leisurely goods trains around until Easter. And improve the passenger facilities for next year's travellers in the meantime...

Cheers,

Andrew.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi Andrew.
Loved that last pic. Very atmospheric. Thought you might like to see my version taken earlier this year at a Northamptonshire association group meeting. Almost a spot the difference. :)
David

David T.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:36 pm

Snap!

Weren't you working on a NWNGR Cleminson with working droplights? How's that coming on?

My WHR "Summer Car" has missed yet another Summer but is nearly there - next year!

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi Andrew.
Grandparenting duties being what they are, progress has been slow but-
I have been working on the sides and experimenting with an opening door with droplight.

Side panel frameworks.

Some panelling added to one side frame with one door part made and temporarily fitted.

Door open with droplight lowered.
I am now working on completing the frameworks and panelling then the other three doors before glass papering and gap filling.
David.
David T.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 am

Very impressive! Thanks for the photos.

Andrew.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:33 pm

all looking fantastic well done

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:54 pm

Just been looking through . those slate walls settled in great, is the wood behind holding up ok?

Overall Looks cracking, cheers for the advice on the slate, will be stealing that idea very soon lol
'Professional Bodge artist '

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:58 pm

Maple:116506 wrote:Just been looking through . those slate walls settled in great, is the wood behind holding up ok?

Overall Looks cracking, cheers for the advice on the slate, will be stealing that idea very soon lol
Hello! Glad you like it...

The wood seems to be holding up ok, but the glue isn't in places. I used exterior "No more Nails", and it seems to be failing where the bond stays wet and/or I sometimes lean on it to service locos etc.

I may try to find some exterior grade tile adhesive/grout (it must exist...) but before that I'm going to purchase one of the variants of Gorilla Glue that's on a display stand in Wilko. It seems to be activated by water, so presumably won'r mind if the area I'm gluing to is already a bit damp...

Looking at the line and garden there's an awful lot to do to make it halfway presentable...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Gorilla Glue is pretty good stuff (Gerald hasn't come unstuck yet!*)

There are various trade grip fill type brews out there. Screwfix have a good range, some will set underwater.

The original no more nails seems to be a bit like swarfega. the original blend was brilliant as there was nothing like it before. But new products have appeared and work much better than the original.

(* silly comment I know but for more info search Gerald the Gorilla on youtube)
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks for the advice Jim, much appreciated.

I've changed job recently and now finish for the day at 4 - an extra hour to spend in the garden of an evening! I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the maintenance backlog...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:12 am

i am thinking of concreting my slates in place, this should eliminate and glue problems. I glue everything with this or window sealant

I am still planning me elevated quarry section. I already know if will incorporate a working single lane incline and probably a bridge. Got a few years to do it. Could you take a couple more pics of yours so i can get some inspiration for flower beds please?
'Professional Bodge artist '