The (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:45 pm

These railcars are really impressive and I´m glad to see that they´ve been rescued. Hope to see some more photos of the line as a whole.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:07 am

I'm loving these lighter evenings!

This week I've been able to spend an hour or so in the garden after work and have begun to build the structure that will support the upper terminus:

It's all a bit rough and ready, but I think it will work. Those two long timbers (should've been a little thicker but I'll add extra support) will have a deck added on top for the station to sit on - the area between that and the siding below (only temporarily laid for now) will be landscaped. As you can see the main running line into the lower terminus will be in a tunnel underneath the new bit - I plan to add a little access hatch somewhere in case of derailments or other problems. Which there may well be, given the steep gradient and sharp curve at that point. This may all end in tears! Nearly did last night actually when I hacked into my thumb whilst sawing too hurriedly in an effort to beat the failing light - amazingly resilient stuff, skin...

Further progress reports to follow over the coming weeks...

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:27 am

Intriguing. I was wondering what wonders will be shown to demonstrate how the line reaches the upper terminus. But it´s good to see that you´re adopting the modern approach of creating multi-storey stations, as Zurich is now doing :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 am

kandnwlr:99187 wrote:Intriguing. I was wondering what wonders will be shown to demonstrate how the line reaches the upper terminus.
It's a complex technique, but I think suspension is the key word. Of disbelief that is, hopefully aided by the difference in hight and some careful landscaping! The two stations will be almost on top of each other, but the route between the two runs all the way round the edge of the garden - I must draw a plan sometime...

Will it work? I dunno... Watch this space!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:38 pm

There's a little more progress to report on the (WH)WHR...

Lasy week the upper terminus structure was strengthened with additional timber and now feels pretty sturdy. Here's a works train entering what will be the tunnel beneath the terminus:

And again at the current top end of the line where slate chippings and a new swing seat have tidied that corner:

Yesterday I made a start on the deck that will sit on top of the wooden framework, before fettling the track underneath which will soon become pretty inaccessible. Naturally a test train was required:

The section of track in question caused no problems at all, although I had plenty elsewhere, later diagnosed (point blades misbehaving)  and cured.

It made a pleasant change to have two trains in operation, hopefully a taste of things to come...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

SherpaPhil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SherpaPhil » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 pm

whats the Moelwyn loco like, thinking of seeing if the board of directors will release funds for one !

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 pm

SherpaPhil:99883 wrote:whats the Moelwyn loco like, thinking of seeing if the board of directors will release funds for one !
On the whole, pretty good I reckon. I think it's pretty much to scale (it certainly looks the part) and the radio control's great - very controllable with a reasonable top speed and great shunting ability.

It very quickly stripped the nylon gears it came with and Andy at Andel replaced them with brass ones - quite a big job because it needed dismantling to do it and the whole thing's superglued together, chassis and all... Have had no problems there since thankfully.

Personally I don't really like the self-coloured resin and I'll be repainting it when I can find the time. At the same time I'll clean up a few obvious joins etc, again due to the resin construction.

Its haulage capacity seems reasonable, half-a-dozen wagons are no problem, but it didn't like me attaching it to a rake of three bogie coaches, although that MAY have been because it was running low on battery power, the jury's out on that.

As you'll have seen from the photos, it's seeing a fair bit of use at the moment, but I've got a Roundhouse Little John on order and I think that'll take over on everyday duties - it should be more powerful and robust. Moelwyn fits my WHR theme and I envisage it spending its time on slate trains and a Welsh Highland goods rake (when I build it).

So... My personal opinion is probably that if you like the real thing and/or are after a quirky and controllable "middle-weight" battery loco it could be a really good purchase, but I'd perhaps consider something a little chunkier if your new loco is to be your main battery power...

Hope that's useful,

Andrew.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Nice to see the Easy Line Regner loco in action. Mine was playing up over Easter :cry: :roll:

SherpaPhil
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SherpaPhil » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 pm

cheers for that
Moelwyn is a favourite as i grew up on all this Ffestiniog ( being a Barmouth boy )
i have a Little John which is a great little loco ( now my 12 year old's loco )
may put it on my shopping list !

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:53 pm

kandnwlr:99888 wrote:Nice to see the Easy Line Regner loco in action. Mine was playing up over Easter  :cry:  :roll:
Don't tell me that!!! I've always relied on my little Konrad to keep my faith in garden railways even when everything else is going pear-shaped! It hardly fits my WHR theme, but I wouldn't dream of parting company with it because it always seems to do the job when more complex (and expensive) beasties throw up all sorts of problems, even if they're easily solved, like dead batteries... It's due a repaint at some point (probably blue, my daughter's choice), will probably gain the big headlamps from my Accucraft Baldwin, and maybe one or two of those nice Swift Sixteen cowcatchers - all a bit OTT perhaps, but fun...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 pm

SherpaPhil:99891 wrote:cheers for that
Moelwyn is a favourite as i grew up on all this Ffestiniog ( being a Barmouth boy )
i have a Little John which is a great little loco ( now my 12 year old's loco )
may put it on my shopping list !
Glad to help! Yes, I hope my Little John will be used by the kids (8, 10, 12 & 12) lots of the time. They enjoy playing with Moelwyn but I think the RH loco should be a bit better suited to their needs.

Cheers,

Andrew.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Andrew:99892 wrote:
kandnwlr:99888 wrote:Nice to see the Easy Line Regner loco in action. Mine was playing up over Easter  :cry:  :roll:
Don't tell me that!!! I've always relied on my little Konrad to keep my faith in garden railways even when everything else is going pear-shaped! It hardly fits my WHR theme, but I wouldn't dream of parting company with it because it always seems to do the job when more complex (and expensive) beasties throw up all sorts of problems, even if they're easily solved, like dead batteries... It's due a repaint at some point (probably blue, my daughter's choice), will probably gain the big headlamps from my Accucraft Baldwin, and maybe one or two of those nice Swift Sixteen cowcatchers - all a bit OTT perhaps, but fun...
Got a "Willi" superized by Martin´s Models, but playing up at the moment. Can´t really work out why. The gas won´t stay lit. :cry:

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:22 am

When my vincent played up (the gas wouldn't stay lit) the problem was solved by putting some PTFE tape round the gas jet threads - I am really rather fond of my regner loco too...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR:99911 wrote:When my vincent played up (the gas wouldn't stay lit) the problem was solved by putting some PTFE tape round the gas jet threads - I am really rather fond of my regner loco too...
Thanks for the tip. I´ll go and talk to it nicely this evening.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:01 pm

good work

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 11, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello again,

Progress is slower than I expected, partly due to poor weather and family commitments, but I'm getting there.

The decking that will form the base of the upper terminus is down and has been covered in roofing felt, I've started cladding the front and the first of the planters is in place:

It'll all be clad in slate tiles, filled with earth and planted up. The earth in question is currently in the way of the final straight to the upper station, which is why I'm concentrating on scenics rather than building trackbed.

Here's where the tunnel mouth will be, where the running line to the lower terminus enters the tunnel beneath the upper one:

As you can see, it's all a bit cobbled together, but it seems to be working OK. I'm kind of making it up as I go along...

I should get some more woodwork done this week, then I'll start cutting tiles.

Cheers,

Andrew.

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sun May 11, 2014 8:58 pm

That´s looking interesting ... :shock:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 11, 2014 10:27 pm

kandnwlr:100549 wrote:That´s looking interesting ... :shock:
My wife says it looks like the warped creation of a deranged mind - one with strange geometric obsessions...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon May 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Evening all,

I had the day off work today and made the most of the warm weather to finish the woodwork planters that front my (under construction) upper terminus as well as hiding the running line that tunnels underneath it. The less said about the construction methods the better - it's VERY rough and ready, but all of the shoddiness should be hidden beneath the slate tiles that I'll clad the whole stucture with...

So. Here's the overall view, with tools etc covering the area that will be occupied by the station and the lower running line disappearing underneath at the top right of the picture. The trackbed on the right will be a siding from the lower terminus.

Halfway along I've created a little gap to assist in retrieving ailing trains. I think I might disguise it as an abandoned mine entrance:

And here's the beginnings of one of the tunnel mouths - you'll need to use your imagination to picture an Aberglaslyn style rock tunnel...

Cladding it all in slate's next, hopefully in the next week or two...

All the best,

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue May 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Coming along nicely Andrew, it doesn't look too rough to me! I reckon that's going to be really interesting when it's finished. I look forward to seeing it.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"