1st Open Day of the Newton Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

1st Open Day of the Newton Light Railway

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:43 pm

Originally the Clyde Valley Light Railway that company went into liquidation following the bankruptcy of their building contractor.

The assets were bought from the liquidation sale, and a new company, the Newton Light Railway, was formed.

Building contractors are scarce in this area, so the company has had to resort to employing a part time building contractor.

In memory of their Consultant Engineer, the late Peter Longfils, the Newton Light Railway held its 1st Open Day with a temporary layout to increase public awareness and promote an uptake in shareholdings. Visitors included the Strathclyde Police Helicopter, one of the Scottish Air Ambulance helicopters, plus a helicopter which is currently undertaking trials for Strathclyde Fire & Rescue. The Open Day was officially opened by the clone 'Fred Dibnah', a product of the University of Glasgow's Medical School, although still somewhat controversial as he is bigger than the average person.

And for those who prefer YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMjigGNkJu4

1st train was hauled by the Company's loco 'Sìne', which is nearing the end of a complete makeover, and is running very well. It was hauling an example coal train as there will be a mine connected to the railway, although a geological survey has yet to confirm whether it will be a coal mine or an iron ore mine, as the railway is being built close to the site of the former Newton Iron Works.

I'm glad I finally got to run a loco in my garden, albeit on a temporary track.

I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for looking at this posting.

Chris Cairns.

(edited to correct video link)
Last edited by Chris Cairns on Wed May 23, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Wow, looking good! I think there's a lot of clone Fred's about, must be quite a busuiness out there for them!!! Sorry too see someone doent like your video, leaving nasty comments on the video. Some people... :roll:

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Please ignore the comment by govan44 on YouTube.

Seems that he/she has just joined YouTube to wind up other members as he/she has only posted negative comments on others videos. Not posted any videos himself/herself.

I've decided not to answer his/her comment to stop any further pleasure that he/she gets out of this process.

alan2525
Fireman
Fireman

Post by alan2525 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Good stuff! Looks like she's running very nicely! I looked at that guys profile on youtube and it seems all he does is post stupid remarks on peoples videos, he hasn't posted any of his own either.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:55 pm

Why can't we have such nice weather :( .

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:57 pm

great video Chris glad to see a start in the move to a garden railway :D

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:04 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Why can't we have such nice weather
Because we are in the British Isles and it needs to rain somewhere.

I could not do this until today as it has been raining since Thursday last week here in Glasgow. Today was the first day with no showers just over the fence.