RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

Post by Dwayne » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:55 pm

Great video. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:07 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:37 pm
I do like the Accucraft IoM 'E' van but the price I paid for the the four wheeler I own is very different! I do feel RTR 16mm scale stuff these days is only in the price range of the 'wallet modeller'.

I agree Tom, although I have only been doing 16mm has you know for just over 12 months, even I have seen how much the RTR stuff is well out of reach. But try and build one yourself and you get all kinds of comments about the look of it. Still I do love the IoM van.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:37 pm Fitting a SSP Slomo is easy and Terry does plently of videos of how to fit them on YouTube. If I can fit one anyone can!
Ah, but you successfully built your own kit loco Tom, which puts you in a different league from me. When I repainted the rods on my RH Bertie I made such a hash of putting it back together I had to send it to Tony Wilmore to do properly! I'll probably do the same with Russell - it was secondhand and is getting rather tired anyway, in need of some expert TLC...

Yes, £80 is pretty steep, I agree. Back when I was learning a bit of CAD I drew up some plans for an E van but never got round to cutting them or assembling the bits. I don't remember how near I got to completing them, I'll have a look sometime... An IP VoR van would do the job too, rather more cheaply... Guess I just like little passenger brakes - I've got plans to build a NWNGR style one soon-ish...

Cheers,

Andrew.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:52 pm Guess I just like little passenger brakes - I've got plans to build a NWNGR style one soon-ish...

Cheers,

Andrew.
I have a thing about passenger brake coaches too. I have modified an IP freelance coach to a Brake First and am about to do a Newqida one next.

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:41 pm
I did try and convince you down the auto uncoupling route :mrgreen:
Still possible, Tom. Steel hangers and a magnet. Might investigate it once all the stock is converted.

Doing them in dribs and drabs. Surprisingly, i've found some of the ex LGB stock need slightly different versions of the coupler.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:43 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:37 pm Fitting a SSP Slomo is easy and Terry does plently of videos of how to fit them on YouTube. If I can fit one anyone can
Hmmm... I just watched the Slomo Lady Anne installation video, and maybe I could do that... Am I right in thinking that, because you don't have to disassemble the valve gear and you don't remove all of the cranks, there's less chance of messing up the quartering or valve-timing?

I've emailed Terry to ask whether the Lady Anne one will fit Russell - it says he's looking into it on the website, but it has done for a while now, so I'm hoping there may be some news... Perhaps I'll give it a shot - I can always pay someone to rectify my mistakes if it all goes wrong...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:47 pm

That's correct Andrew, you don't touch the valve timing.

Not sure where you are in the world but if you ever visit Kent we could get it fitted in an afternoon easily.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:13 pm

That's a very kind offer, thank you...

I'm based in Bristol, but I'm hoping to visit an old friend in Kemsing at some point this summer, which might be a day trip or may be combined with visiting another friend in Maidstone, don't know whether either of those are near you?

I'm sort of either a Man of Kent or a Kentishman myself, can't remember which is which, although the county had long given up the London Borough of Bexley as a bad job - it lived on in the postal address!

Thanks again - I'll let you know what Terry says re Russell...

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Locos at rest after an evening run:

20180619_202935-01.jpeg
20180619_202935-01.jpeg (388.8 KiB) Viewed 4914 times

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Lovely picture Tom.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I can almost hear the metal ticking as it cools down.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 pm

I do feel my railway lacks atmosphere though.

Next garden things will be different...

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:40 am

I don't think it lacks atmosphere. Your last video was a pleasure to watch.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:57 am

Agree with Dwayne, you have a certain atmosphere that is wonderful to see.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:09 am

FWLR wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:57 am Agree with Dwayne, you have a certain atmosphere that is wonderful to see.
Yep, I agree too. Just like the real NG lines, you can look at a photo of the RWLR and instantly know that's what you're looking at - you could perhaps describe it as minimalist, in that there's not space for loads of buildings etc, but I think its got tons of atmosphere...

Andrew.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:54 am

I agree. Your railway doesn't lack atmosphere. The videos show an interesting line. For me much of the charm is in being able to operate as realistically as possible so my railway, when it gets built, won't have much in the way of buildings, landscape and scenery.

Enjoy what you have.

Ian
Ian

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:15 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 pm I do feel my railway lacks atmosphere though.

Next garden things will be different...
No it doesn't. It does lack depth a bit in your picture. You could hide the white wall by painting it sky blue or placing facades of buildings in front of them. That would be a difference in appeal on a picture.

But it is a garden railway. Those have walls and other objects out of the "big world". They are meant to be operated and not in the first place as a scale replica of the big world. Part of the charm is that you can see that the railway is spooned in in someones garden, with full scale objects alongside the line.
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks for the positive comments.

I want more of a rural garden so the track negotiates around plants, trees and bushes. I am not really arsed about recreating a real life railway.

Like I said, my next house will hopefully be out in the sticks with land for such a project but that's a long way off so I will be grateful for what I have now. I maintain that having a small railway is better than not having one at all regardless of scale.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 pm

Wonderful future plan Tom and one I can highly recommend, however, don't leave it too late as there is a huge amount of work required to build and maintain a large railway, especially if you are still working. If you are retired however, you might not be active enough to do it all yourself to the standard you would like to achieve?
It is heartening to hear you are satisfied with your present line, I'm sure there are things you cold be preparing for the great day!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 pm I will be grateful for what I have now. I maintain that having a small railway is better than not having one at all regardless of scale.
I agree Tom, I don’t have one at the moment and boy am I missing it.

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 pm
If you are retired however, you might not be active enough to do it all yourself to the standard you would like to achieve?
It is heartening to hear you are satisfied with your present line, I'm sure there are things you could be preparing for the great day!
Again Peter is correct, getting older and it’s really hard for me somedays, with the heart, back, and legs the way they are.

But I do enjoy doing a bit no matter what it is, running on the line, bit more landscaping and of model builds, whether it be rolling stock or buildings.