RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

Post by ge_rik » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:02 am

Great slow running and fine control, Tom and nicely framed video.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:02 am Tom and nicely framed video.

Rik
Not quite up to your standard though, it took me hours to get it how I wanted it so it must take you even longer to film and produce your videos?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 am

Hi Tom
Not too long. I tend to plonk the camera down during a running session so sometimes the shots are not as good as they ought to be. I probably reject about 1/3 (sometimes 1/2) the shots I take because they're rubbish (or a bit too repetitive). I sometimes have to re-run a train past the camera because there seems to be an unwritten law of garden railway videography - The moment the camera switches on, what can go wrong will go wrong.

Rik
PS - In the time lapse video of the wagon build, for example, I had to reshoot the section on making the couplings because I hadn't realised the camera's battery had run out.
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:22 am

As my shelf railway is narrow I don't have anywhere to place the camera other than hold it or play about with a tripod which I am rarely in the mood to do.

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:48 am

Love the video Tom, Thank you :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:57 am

What can I say Tom….Anne has given me permission to reply to you on the subject of your line closure…….

Please don’t give up with your involvement with the Forum, you have such a lot of knowledge about lots of things and your ideas do work. Ok maybe some don’t come up to your excellent standards, but we all have those in one way or another.

I hope you do lay another line Tom, it’s been great seeing your videos. I am just about to go away with Anne today and when we get back I will to some extent, be carrying on doing something with my line.

All the Best Tom.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Sneaked in a quick evening coal fired run but it was getting dark before I thought about taking photos so this is all I managed!

20181007_184710-01.jpeg
20181007_184710-01.jpeg (267.8 KiB) Viewed 6251 times

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:55 am

Rather atmospheric, I must say.

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:36 am

Crikey, with that level of brilliance there's no mistaking the go signal!
Or is that just an illusion created by the camera?
Phil

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:08 am

Is it true that your Railway Shutting down tom? Great shot too,
Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:43 am

You may have left taking a photograph late Tom, but the result is wonderfully atmospheric.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:43 am You may have left taking a photograph late Tom, but the result is wonderfully atmospheric.
Ditto

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:23 pm

pandsrowe wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:36 am Crikey, with that level of brilliance there's no mistaking the go signal!
Or is that just an illusion created by the camera?
The exhaust smoke enhanced the colour of the working light on the signal plus it was quite dark and in that corner of my garden the light from the house does not illuminate under the tree.
Mitch stack wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:08 am Is it true that your Railway Shutting down tom? Great shot too,
Mitch
I am waiting to test Andew's Russell when I get it's SSP Slomo fitted before I make a final decision on lifting the track.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:12 pm

If you read back into the thread you will have see that my experiments with SBR didn't go well and with my new cats disturbing the shingle ballast daily I got to the point of deciding to bin the line for these reasons and my general lack of interest.

However, the weather was lovely this weekend in Kent so I decided to try and reduce the damage the cats do by lowering the level of the ballast in the 'launchpad areas' the cats use for jumping up and off the railway:

20181020_155957-01.jpeg
20181020_155957-01.jpeg (246.72 KiB) Viewed 6015 times
20181020_160022-01.jpeg
20181020_160022-01.jpeg (313.12 KiB) Viewed 6015 times

I appreciate it may not look like I have done much but I spent hours going along the entire railway removing ballast, siving it to separate the larger pea shingle from the fish gravel and then packing the remaining ballast into place. This has resulted in a reduced level of ballast so now the fence panel boxing in so far is preventing most of the ballast from being kicked off the railway. Yes, I do have to go and adjust the ballast once the cats have been on the railway but so far it's not too bad and I have never had issues with birds moving it about (and the cats go to the loo in the flower beds so no special presents in the ballast for me since they arrived).

I will see how it goes but I did enjoy tidying the railway up and thinking about things I could do although the run is short and does get boring these days for me...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:54 pm

Welcome back Tom.... I'm sure your interest will grow, perhaps slowly, but clearly it is still there!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 pm

Tom,
Dunno if this is an option for you, but I've had to put green garden net on a frame around some parts of my layout to keep the local evil moggies ( not even ours!) and wildlife off the vulnerable bits. Two things a) they don't like loose net because it tangles their claws and b) they only jump ONTO things, not OVER them like a dog will. I've run a length of garden string along the back and draped the net loosely over it and hanging down at the front, just hooked onto drawing pins in the fascia to stop it blowing up in the wind.

Glad your interest is resurfacing.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 am

Thats good advice from Philip there Tom.

If you have spent hours tiding your ballast mate, shows you still want to run trains, no matter how small your track maybe. Some members don’t have a track to run anything and they have to go to a steam up or even a club were they can run them. Personally I don’t like clubs, been involved with them and boy what a snotty lot they can be.

Keep on running trains Tom. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:26 am

The refurbished track's looking great Tom, well done! Let's hope it works - both for keeping the cats off and for keeping you entertained!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 am

The net idea might be a way forward to keep the moggie at bay. Thicky, our indoor cat, has a complete aversion to getting tangled in anything and this has proved handy when there is a need to keep her off things. Net curtain material works for us.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:34 am

Big Jim wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 am The net idea might be a way forward to keep the moggie at bay. Thicky, our indoor cat, has a complete aversion to getting tangled in anything and this has proved handy when there is a need to keep her off things. Net curtain material works for us.
Thicky?

Mind you, our last cat was called Lolly - a name we inherited from the previous owner - abbreviated from Lollypop.

Rik
------------------------