RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Pop-rivet guns are incredibly useful things to have around the house for all manner of jobs, it would handle this perfectly.
Last edited by Peter Butler on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:22 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 pm Should I be pop riveting the new aluminium angle to the bridge base or can I just use nuts/bolts?

I don't have a pop rivet gun but they are cheap enough if needed.
I can't see why either wouldn't be perfectly Ok. I agree with Peter, though a pop rivetter can be very useful and its the sort of thing you don't know you are going to need until the need arises, as in this case. So I'd suggest getting one anyway, as you say, they are cheap enough.
Philip

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:10 am

Pop Rivets are fun - if slightly scary when you don't quite know when they are going to pop - as a Landrover owner, mine is always near the top of my toolbox! :D
Where did I put that uncoupler?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:33 pm Should I be pop riveting the new aluminium angle to the bridge base or can I just use nuts/bolts?
It's a lot easier to dismantle a bolted joint and they can be adjusted if necessary.

The 'pop' rivet was developed to fit two parts together where there is no access to the back of the joint, hence the name blind rivet.

I do note though that the bridge appears to have been assembled with blind rivets as well as screws, so using either for the added parts would blend in.

I can't remember when I last used blind rivets and I don't own a rivet gun. I seem to get by though.......

Regards,
Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks guys. I ordered one anyway but may bolt it together first to make sure it all works before riveting.

At least it will be another new skill I have learned since playing trains (stuff I should of been taught in school).

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 pm

I do love that bridge looks like its very well made .and your water tower looks ace

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re:

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:22 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:18 pm The loop nearing completion with a revised track layout so I can have an siding be it a small one:

For anyone starting out on their line I would recommend buying a chop saw at it makes life so much easier for you ;)

All comments appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom
Can you tell me what radius that is please Tom, i.e. area 3’,4’,5’ not much idea on radius, never have. :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:38 am

Hi Rod,

I used Peco 605 set track curves although if space permits go for a larger radius.

Trackshack are a good supplier of Peco track:

http://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Pec ... T-605.html

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 am

Peco ST-605 = 30inch radius = 60inch diam. centre to centre. You would have to add the total width of the sleepers plus clearance to that.
Grant.
PS as Tom says, go bigger if possible, that is a very tight radius.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:31 am

One thing to remember with pop rivets is that although the rivet is ally, the stem is steel. In an outside environment this will soon rust and cause unsightly stains, although I do appreciate that this is something that you might want.
The heads on these rivets do sometimes fall out of the rivet as the stem breaks off and sometimes it is possible to drive the head of the stem out if you so wish.
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:38 am Hi Rod,

I used Peco 605 set track curves although if space permits go for a larger radius.

Trackshack are a good supplier of Peco track:

http://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Pec ... T-605.html
Thanks Tom, that is a great help. What the area of your curve ? :thumbright:
LNR wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 am Peco ST-605 = 30inch radius = 60inch diam. centre to centre. You would have to add the total width of the sleepers plus clearance to that.
Grant.
PS as Tom says, go bigger if possible, that is a very tight radius.
Thanks Grant for your reply, that is a starting point for me now. I don’t plan on anything more than 0-4-0, but you never know. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 am

Tom wouldn’t the ST-607 curve be a bit better to work with, i am guessing that would be 76” dia, so a bit more to work with. :thumbright:

By the way great layout, it has taken me 5-1/2 hours to read it, keep going off to watch your videos and links. I have something similar in mind. I may put a small turntable at one end of mine. :thumbright:
Last edited by FWLR on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:02 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 am Tom wouldn’t the ST-607 curve be a bit better to work with, i am guessing that would be 76” did, so a bit more to work with. :thumbright:
Yes, these would be slightly better. I have 0-6-0 locos that run better on that radius curve but the middle wheels are flangeless. The geometry of the Peco ST-607 curves work with the Peco smaller points so you can build run round loops very easily.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:25 am

Bit late sorry,

I always build with 2.4mm rivets and stainless self tappers/ nuts and bolts. 100 bags of rivets are just over a quid at toolstation. They need a 2.5mm drill but you will need to wiggle clearance for the toolstation ones, others are fine.

I have stocks of aluminium if anyone ever needs a short length or wants some short off cuts for free.

PM me Tom if you want any bits but currently in Lastovo with a delicate tummy..... back on 28th.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:23 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:02 pm
FWLR wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 am Tom wouldn’t the ST-607 curve be a bit better to work with, i am guessing that would be 76” did, so a bit more to work with. :thumbright:
Yes, these would be slightly better. I have 0-6-0 locos that run better on that radius curve but the middle wheels are flangeless. The geometry of the Peco ST-607 curves work with the Peco smaller points so you can build run round loops very easily.
Thanks Tom, i guess then that the really bigger curves would be better, not got the room for them though. :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:29 am

bazzer42 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:25 am Bit late sorry,
I always build with 2.4mm rivets and stainless self tappers/ nuts and bolts. 100 bags of rivets are just over a quid at toolstation. They need a 2.5mm drill but you will need to wiggle clearance for the toolstation ones, others are fine.
Thats good to know about Toolstation Thank you. :thumbright: :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:06 pm

Bridge testing this evening:

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Superb Tom, absolutely superb. That's a lovely bridge.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Clever solution there. I can see now how you were planning to do it, a picture paints a 1000 words! I had some 45mm channel that always made me wonder it could be used in a similar fashion.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:41 am

Great job on the bridge Tom, i love it. :thumbup:

Looking at some thing else though, when you were uncoupling your Silver Lady, i noticed the levers moving in the cab, is it not possible to put a little driver in there with a movable arm so it looks like he is moving it, or is that a stupid question and they don’t make one that would fit in the cab. :)

Love your layout though and this is now bookmarked. :thumbright: :thumbleft: