RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: RWLR - Robin Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:08 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:25 pm
FWLR wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:10 am Great video Tom. You do have a skill with how you use your locos at the correct speed.

Unlike those at my local area, they seem to always want to run at 200mph..........
Even with my very limited experience with live steam I could manage to get a reasonably realistic running speed, both manual and RC. It has always baffled me why those who strive for authenticity, and insist on using live steam, get satisfaction from running at warp speed? Whenever I view a video of suck reckless behaviour I immediately loose interest and turn off.
Has do I Peter.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:57 pm

I mentioned back in August 2018 that I was fed up with the railway (garden size has been a big factor plus the height is too low), however, it got a reprieve as Andrew's Russell visited for some work and the fitting of a SSP Slomo.

The lure of larger trains has occupied me for some time so finally I have decided to at least consider the idea but to push me on I knew the railway would need to be dismantled permanently. My father passed away recently very quickly (only 69, makes you wonder) so I need something to occupy me which at the moment is clearing the railway, restoring the garden to something that is appealing to future house buyers and moving on with something new.

The following dribble is more for my reference and reflections although they may be of interest, they don't require opinions or comment.

Using treated wood gravel boards for a raised railway worked for me, no evidence of wood rot (the darker faded wood is reclaimed from another railway so this stuff is even older than the wood I purchased:

IMG_20190330_120354-01.jpeg
IMG_20190330_120354-01.jpeg (387.49 KiB) Viewed 6537 times
IMG_20190330_111229-01.jpeg
IMG_20190330_111229-01.jpeg (384.71 KiB) Viewed 6537 times

You don't need to use roofing flet though as you have found that weed control fabric is cheaper and easier to work with.

If you ever do anything like this again and plan to dismantle it use stainless steel screws always as it's been a pain in the bottom trying to recover wood to be reused with rusted screws!

Using screws (at least you used stainless steel screws for this) to create a level track bed although works brilliantly it's very time consuming to deploy so given what you have learned make sure you level the crap out of any future base before you lay track. Although you don't like screws being shown you know now you can counter sunk screws into sleepers and hide them with ballast.

SBR does work, however, you need a thin layer of ballast although with the pea shingle it gave a gloss finish. Crushed dust, coal, etc works perfectly though so more of that:

IMG_20190330_103433-01.jpeg
IMG_20190330_103433-01.jpeg (463.93 KiB) Viewed 6537 times

Make the railway higher next time, raised flower beds would be ideal (next house purchase garden or land suitability is critical!)

If you can't build an end-to-end line with a continious run sneaked in somewhere for days when you just want to watch trains don't bother building a railway (you can then host steam ups again with a proper line).

Servos outside worked for you for signals and points as they are mounted under the railway and protected from the elements, however, run a bus power line alone the railway next time as batteries are a pain plus you then have the means to power lights for evening running which you want but never bothered to do.

Use metal angle when mounting servos though as plastic angle is not stable with outdoor temperature changes, repositioning servos isn't fun.

Cliff Barker fish plates make laying track easier so use them again, no dog legging!

Consider steam up area with better access for coal firing with the abililty to drop the fire if possible.

If you use loose ballast again the method for boxing in the railway needs improving.

Buy lineside buildings, etc as you know you can't be bothered to build them and using lollipop sticks doesn't last (although they weather nicely if you want stuff to look disused):

IMG_20190330_105312-01.jpeg
IMG_20190330_105312-01.jpeg (430.95 KiB) Viewed 6537 times

Milo sniffing about in 2011:

Same place while dismantling the railway in 2019!

IMG_20190330_140903-01.jpeg
IMG_20190330_140903-01.jpeg (397.48 KiB) Viewed 6537 times

Create more viewing spots like this, sunset and steam looks great:

IMG_20190330_154751-01.jpeg
IMG_20190330_154751-01.jpeg (492.07 KiB) Viewed 6537 times

As you have built a railway now you don't need to be in a rush to build the next one and get trains running, take your time - it's far more relaxing...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:03 pm

Useful stuff, Tom.

I don't keep servos outside, but I know Greg does. He just covers them will a simple flap of felt or plasticard and they seem to carry on for years with little or no maintenance (and he uses bog standard rather than weatherproof versions). I originally assumed it was because the climate around Sydney is more conducive but then discovered they get more rain per year than London.

Anyhow, I'm sure Greg will attest to that when morning arrives on Oz.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:07 pm

I used the Tower Pro SG90 mini servos screwed under the base of the track as below (although mentioned use metal angle as plastic angle tends to move about due to temperature changes):

Cheap enough to replace as well should they go wrong.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Good report and excellent information to help others make informed decisions on how to go forward.
The gravel boards have lasted well and prove they work under such circumstances. Stainless steel screws are a great idea, even though more expensive and rust resistant, but they can be painted. The use of either felt or weed membrane is certainly an advantage if ballast is used as small grains will fall through the boards as they shrink in hot weather, this also shows unsightly straight lines between the boards.... how do I know this???? Also, if SBR is used to fix ballast it works better on a textured surface.
A higher working level is a must, especially for us 'seniors'. Being the same age as your father (sorry to hear about your loss there) I know all about bending etc...
There are many suppliers of buildings available and most can be made to personalise your line. You have pointed out the pitfalls of lollipop sticks which are bound to fail no matter what precautions are taken to preserve them.
As long as Milo approves you are on to a winner with the next railway!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:44 am

My condolences for your loss Tom, sad news indeed. :(

I am 67 this year, so I hope to survive a bit longer to use your advice to build a better line. Although Anne does want to be able to get to her Fairy Gardens at the back fence, so lifting it higher I feel will not be an option. But she has given permission to extend, so that's a bonus... :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:11 am

Hi Tom,

I'm sad to hear of the demise of the old RWLR, and will miss your regular reports from your inspiring and characterful little line, but I'm looking forward to its next incarnation already, whenever that may be.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad too - that sort of thing really does make you reconsider priorities, and that can be a silver lining on even the darkest cloud. My Dad died years ago, when I was still a child, and for me my hobby is a connection with him - it was him that got me into this mess!

With very best wishes,

Andrew.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:22 pm

Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing Tom. Good luck with your future projects.
Ian

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:39 am

Hello Tom,

Like others, I'm very sorry to see your line go. It (and you) have been agreat source of inspiration at times when I was standing in the middle of a bomb site that showed no prospect of ever being a garden again - let alone one that contained a railway! The things that hold our interest have a tendancy to change over time, external factors certainly influence that and can lead to major changes in direction. Whatever the reason, if a house move is being contemplated, then there is clearly no option for the line but to 'close and demolish'.

I hope you find a great new home to move to and that it inspires you to build again. Your notes to yourself in the post above are really useful pointers. It's a great idea to leave 'self prompts' like this, it saves re-learning old lessons - don't ask how I know this! Remember them when the time comes and hopefully any new line will be even better than the Robin Wood Light. In the meantime, please keep contributing to the discussions on here, your practical and competent comments are always a pleasure to read.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:24 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:03 pm I don't keep servos outside, but I know Greg does. He just covers them will a simple flap of felt or plasticard and they seem to carry on for years with little or no maintenance (and he uses bog standard rather than weatherproof versions). I originally assumed it was because the climate around Sydney is more conducive but then discovered they get more rain per year than London.
Anyhow, I'm sure Greg will attest to that when morning arrives on Oz.
Rik
It's taken me a little while get back here.
My outdoor servos (total 6) are all inside small styrene (plasticard) 'huts'. Three are larger servos operating turnouts, and three are the mini blue ones as in the pic you posted on 3/4 ,operating semaphore signals.
mela 3rd signal.jpg
mela 3rd signal.jpg (127.26 KiB) Viewed 5925 times

I have had 2 failures of these mini ones stripping gears and locking up. Not sure why.

All the best with planning a new railway.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:02 am

Neat boxes Greg.....

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Re:

Post by DonW » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:25 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:58 pm
Phew! - That's a "Low Relief"! ;)
He he such wit ;)

I have been wondering what to do about buffers and after not really finding anything suitable from the trade that uses 'real world' materials I had a go at making my own:

The wood needs painting and maybe a lamp bracket could be fixed to the buffer beam?

Cheers,

Tom
RWLR
New to this forum and looking to see what is on here. Most impressed by the Buffer I dont think I have seen better.

Don

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:38 am

Hi Don,

Peco now do a buffer stop for SM32 track that looks better:

https://peco-uk.com/products/buffer-stop2

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:10 am

Not bad for £8.00, cheapest I can find with P&P.

Still like yours Tom.. :thumbright: :thumbright: And easy to make with left over track bits. Might have ago at making one or two.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:21 pm

Ah but I do like the use of Wood for wooden things where practical.

Don

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:36 pm

It has been nearly a year since the railway was dismantled and now that the better weather is here I managed to get outside today and sit where the station use to be under the 'Red Robin' bush:

IMG_20200331_163414-02.jpeg
IMG_20200331_163414-02.jpeg (289.05 KiB) Viewed 4999 times

Where the original part of the railway use to run along the fence and loop back on itself:

IMG_20200331_163403-02.jpeg
IMG_20200331_163403-02.jpeg (303.46 KiB) Viewed 4999 times

Forest sits with me, the cats miss the shelf railway and the warmth of the gravel in the summer sun:

IMG_20200331_163443-02.jpeg
IMG_20200331_163443-02.jpeg (319.36 KiB) Viewed 4999 times

The buffer stop at the station is all that remains of the railway outside:

IMG_20200331_163430-01.jpeg
IMG_20200331_163430-01.jpeg (477.72 KiB) Viewed 4999 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:40 pm

That last picture's very poignant Tom!

Glad the cats have found somewhere else to sit, even if it's not quite as pleasant for them as your permanent way...