Building the Fairfield Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed May 28, 2008 5:59 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Presumably when tapping you are doing quater of a turn then half a turn back, alsousing a decent cutting paste?
This message vanishing thing seems to be getting contagious. I'm sure I replied to this! Oh well, in the words of a good friend "I'll repeat myself",

I have not been the one doing the tapping. I've taken advice from PTLRsam and seen him doing it, and would have done as you suggested if it had been me, but it sadly (for the taps) wasn't!

Having read your question properly, and if you take it LITERALLY, I believe that 1/4 forward, then 1/2 back would mean you wouldn't actually get anywhere! (except 1/4 turn backwards each time?!?!)
PTLRcecil wrote:Hey even doing that I snapped a high speed stell tap today at work. ooops. I still havent figured out how to get it out. Im either going to have to drill it out or smash it out. Each risks damaging the partly tapped tread and scrapping the job.
In my best YouTube Fat Contoller voice (Cecil knows what I mean) "Oh dear"!
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed May 28, 2008 6:20 pm

I can see that PTLRsam's advice is probaby just about the best on offer. That's the method I use, and have never broken a tap(thank god, though I'm sure I will soon).

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed May 28, 2008 6:22 pm

He is the first person I turn to whenever I need advice on anything 16mm, and if I still need clarification, or an alternative I got to cecil. Its what families are for!
Bungle80a

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed May 28, 2008 6:48 pm

Day 22: And the rain came down..

No, not a shameless plug for my PTLRfest video (which can be found on YouTube BTW ;) ), but a description of the weather!

It let up mid morning, so I made my way to the FR for as much work as I could get done while the rain held off! As it was looking iffy, I didnt want to risk trying to lay blocks. It would be a shame to lay blocks, or mix cement then all the work go to pot because of the weather. So instead, my focus was to remove all the clay and poor soil from this area...

I was getting along fine with that area til mid afternoon. The rain was still holding off. The boss popped out to see me, and the topic of conversation came to signal boxes and stations! It was decided that in the area I was gardening, a signal box would be placed in the V of the point...
And a station be build next to it, with a long platform on the mainline, and a short one on the back loop. This will all be set on blocks like the trackbed, so The rest of my day was spent digging trenches to pour concrete for the blocks. Here you can see my progress by the end of the day...

Day 23: Next verse, same as the first, a little bit faster and a little bit worse!

The weather today was a little bit worse than yesterday, and the rain didnt stop til lunch, so there was only half a days work done today. Basicallly, I laid the concrete in the trench I had dug yesterday.

The narrow bit of concrete to the right goes on about another 2-3 feet. This bit will just have the platform as it allows access to garden the crescent of soil behind it and to get at any trains that encounter difficulties in the back loop!

If the weather had held off beyond half 4 I would have laid a few blocks on the mainline, but Mother Nature had other ideas! Instead, the boss and I discussed plans for the crossing, which may now become a bridge as we are worried about the width of the trackbed at that point and damage to the track! Details will be revealed nearer the time.

I also have some homework. I need to find a way to bend 5 ft radius curves into 9ft 4.25in (ish) radius curves! The issue will be making a smooth curve for the entire length of the rail! I have 4 lengths to play with!

Next time, on Building the FR:
Cut and Lay the blocks for the station and signal box area.
Lay blocks on the mainline. (Weather permitting)

OR

Go to the nearbly Slate Quarry and buy some bags of Small Slate Chipppings to be used as ballast,
Goto BnQ to get more concrete,
Work on easing the radius of the the 5ft curves.
Bungle80a

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Wed May 28, 2008 7:52 pm

That signal box looks familiar.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Wed May 28, 2008 8:11 pm

I believe I knocked the stairs off when it was still in storage at the PTLR. oops! Even though we mended it a few times, its still got them missing!
Bungle80a

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Wed May 28, 2008 8:42 pm

looking good Bungle keep up the great work.

then you can come and help me on the ACLR lol

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Sat May 31, 2008 1:22 am

ACLR wrote:looking good Bungle keep up the great work.

then you can come and help me on the ACLR lol
I wish! If only life were that simple!

Its rather late, and i'm not up to a full update of the last 2 days, but i'll post a 3 day update 2moro night. Instead, I have edited my first few posts in this thread to match the style of the rest!
Bungle80a

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Sat May 31, 2008 9:07 pm

Day 24: The Sun has got his hat on, hip hip hip hooray!

A glorious day (in comparison to the previous 2 anyway!). If anything, a little too warm again. The great British mentality coming out of me there, not happy when its wet, then complain when the sun comes out! LOL! IT was infact so warm, I had to erect this...

So todays work was block laying round the newly planned station area. To start with I had to cut the blocks appropriately to fit the concrete that I had laid the previous day. By lunch time I had got this far...

It didnt take till long in the afternoon to complete the station area, with it looking like this...

Around tea time, the boss and I were chatting bout other stuff, not directly related to the actual construction of the FR. As a result I had to do some planting. It involved digging a 2 foot hole, planting it and filling the hole. I'm not confident it'll grow though! What do you think?

That concluded the work for the day!

Day 25: A Chip off the old Block

The morning was taken up collecting material for ballast! It has been decided that fine slate chippings will be used, mixed with exterior polyfilla to ballast the tracks, so I had to go and get some fine slate chippings. To get stuff fine enough for our needs, a trip to the local slate quarry was the only answer. This stuff is basically waste from when they are cutting the slate into tiles etc. On the first trip up there we were informed the minimum they supplied bagged up was 1 ton. This was far too much (think those big 1m square bags they deliver on trucks!), however we could buy some by weight if we had something to put it in! We didnt, so a round trip back to my house was necessary to get some bags to put it in. Having returned to the quarry, we were weighed, sent up onto the fell where there was a pile of this stuff, bagged up what we thought was about 50-60kg, then weighed again and charged for the difference (which in theory would be the weight of the slate). We had actually bagged 90kg of this stuff, a little more than anticipated! However, we couldn't grumble because it came to a grand total of £1.12! Thats not bad considering the price of coarse slate chippings in garden centres is approx £4 for 25kg (I think).

So once at the FR, the slate chippings were unloaded and put to one side for when they are needed.

Blocking was the plan for the afternoon. At the top end, the remaining blocks to take the rly to the launch point were laid, except the last 1 as it would have been difficult to get to without displacing the previous few blocks I had already laid! This will be laid once the others have dried!

Another 3 blocks were also laid at the other end.

And that concluded the work for Day 25!

Next Time on Building the FR
More blocklaying towards the house,
Lay the last block at the top,
Tidy up the top of the garden!
Bungle80a

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat May 31, 2008 9:55 pm

Is that boundary post(?) meant to represent Hode in Ulverston? :lol: Great stuff Bungle.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat May 31, 2008 10:06 pm

Isn't that a mile post? There used to be a boundry post up the road from us next to the railway (of course) and it didn't have a number on it
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat May 31, 2008 10:10 pm

laalratty wrote:Isn't that a mile post?
That's why I put a question mark :) .

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Sat May 31, 2008 10:20 pm

yes it is a mile post, well, 1/4 mile post actually. Its not meant to represent hoad though. I have occasionally wondered how big a 16mm scale version of hoad monument might be though! It would certainly be a talking point in the garden!
Bungle80a

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat May 31, 2008 10:21 pm

You should persuade the PTLR to build one!

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sat May 31, 2008 11:07 pm

this is a mammoth construction project i like the look of it
patiently waiting for the next installment ;)

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Sat May 31, 2008 11:33 pm

i'll post todays progress tomorrow Graham! in brief, its blocks n gardening, oh and a tunnel! Plus a cameo from some rolling stock from a railway featured in the latest SMT, and its not the PTLR! Oooooh! LOL!
Bungle80a

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:41 pm

SillyBilly wrote:You should persuade the PTLR to build one!
No
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:56 pm

ptlrcecil wrote:
SillyBilly wrote:You should persuade the PTLR to build one!
No
:lol:

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:16 pm

this has gone quiet
is there anymore progress ?????????

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:16 am

Well, its been a while, so this will be a very abridged version of what has been done since the last update. Cant remember the exact order of things but here we go...

The section nearest the house has stretched right down to the launch off point. There is to be a crossing near the launch, and how to build it still hasnt been completely decided! At one stage we considered building a tunnel across the line using a big paving slab, but unfortunatel, to accomodate the tallest piece of stock the step over would have been too high...

So now there will be a concreted crossing with a small slab in the midle with 2 lines running either side!

When laying the foundation for this section of line, it gets so wide it looked like we were laying 12in:1ft scale 2ft gauge...

Up at the top corner, the loop has now been returned to garden,
which has had a rather nice rockery built in it by the creative director of the Windy Ridge Railroad.
Since this photo was taken, the area behind has been filled with gravel/shale to make it accessible incase of any problems round the back.

At the other end of the line, posts have been planted for the next 13 foot of line, with 3x3 inch posts along the outside to join them.

Since that pic was taken, I have boards ready to screw down and level, but it is finding the time and weather around work and working on the PTLR CGRL and PTLR (N)!

Will try to keep updates a bit more, how do i say it, up to date from here on in!
Bungle80a