Building the Fairfield Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:29 pm

Well after a huge gap in the notices and pictures (Bungles been too busy building the railway) The Fairfield railway is officially open!
This turned up and surprise surprise, It didnt work. Should have gone to Locobox Virgil.
Sorry I didnt get much pictures of the line but I was too busy getting videos for a new upcoming er Video for youtube that bungles going to put together, so stay tuned for that one.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Looks good, nice one Bungle. If chose are the PTLR IofM coaches then I'm not going to ask how long you spent re-gauging them :lol: .

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:06 pm

Looking great, nice garratt (if it worked!!)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:37 pm

The Garratt, did not work though the whistle sounded nice :lol:
Can I just say Bungle should be well pleased with his work, that is a well engineered railway, and thanks to FRthunderbolt and all at the Fairfield railway for an enjoyable, if slightly damp opening day, my pics will be on when I have uploaded them from the camera
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

ptlrcecil
Driver
Driver

Post by ptlrcecil » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:03 am

SillyBilly wrote:Looks good, nice one Bungle. If chose are the PTLR IofM coaches then I'm not going to ask how long you spent re-gauging them :lol: .
Not long.
Probably about 5-6 minutes per coach.
http://www.freewebs.com/pinetreelightrailway/index.

Cecil your engines on Fire!

Its a Mamod it does that.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:13 am

Here are my pics
LGB mallett during the short period of electric running on one of the high level sections
Curlew from the Silverdale Light railway with an American freight
Archangel Darjeeling
My caradoc and PTLRcecils Superior King Arthur double head on a long freight train
And finally
The forum paparazzi is seen in action, however i couldn't get Bungle, PTLRcecil and SLRmidge in the same picture!
"What the hell is that?"

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:12 pm

Some nice pics, pity I'm on one of them :oops:
You've done a great job there Bungle, well done. Some pics from me of the event......
I think the gnome is a little overscale :lol:
Ian of the SLR(N)

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:20 pm

Lovely pics both of you, the railway looks great and some very interesting stock on show too. Well done to all invovled! :D

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:36 pm

Excellent lads, nicely done! I like the Accucraft line up!

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Dont really think any of the pics I got on the opening day differ greatly from those already shown above, so i'll not bother posting.

However, there have been developments since the line opened a few weeks ago. One problem we found, was the single line section meant that the trains had to be driven at all times and couldnt be left to run. It was also a bit precarious (sp?) in places as the track round that section was all 'set-track' and it got dangerously close to the edges of the boards! Today has seen the completion of doubling that section. Over the last 3 weeks, the boards have been ripped up, new posts sunk and a construction similar to the rest of the wide sections built to replace it! Today I have completed the doubling of the line, finishing the work by torchlight! There was no way I was stopping when I only had about a foot left to do!

So what is left to do?

- The 32mm line, it has been decided will now be SM32 instead of 0 gauge, so this will need to be laid. (About 20ft already done)
- The cross over from inner loop to outer loop is moving (apparently).
- A passing loop will be installed on the thermalite block section (was used as a siding on the open day)

Then, next Spring/Summer...
- A Step and level crossing will be built for better access to the top part of the garden
- Proper lift out bridges will be built for better access to the lower part of the garden
-A steaming Bay will be built
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

bungle80a
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by bungle80a » Mon May 25, 2009 11:50 pm

Fairfield Update!

Its been quite a few months and things have still progressed. Since the last post. the following has been achieved...

- The 32mm line has been laid and has a passing loop now, plus there are imminent plans for a larger passing loop and some stock storage/steaming sidings.

- The cross over from inner loop to outer loop did move. Plus another was built. There are now 3 crossovers between the 45mm lines.

- The large 45mm passing loop has also been installed and crosses right across the lift out bridge section (which still isnt finished!)

And onto the most recent (and absolute pain in the ass) job...

- Building a Step and level crossing for better access to the top part of the garden. In order to do this I had to build retaining walls between the end of the previously laid blocks and the bridge abutment. this was then backfilled with concrete and had more block laid on it, followed by relaying the track. Having completed the track bed, a set of steps were built up to it, plus one on the other side of the line to step down onto the lawn. All of that took some time fitting it in around work, PTLRfest prep, the weather etc!

Today we reached a very VERY important milestone! Finally setting the track in concrete across the level crossing! All 5 lines! And of course it needed testing with both electric and steam on both gauges! Here are some pics...

A view of the 5 lines freshly set in rapid set, already pretty hard!

A view of the whole step/crossing area!

The electrics were tested first, and worked impeccably!

Atlantic (on the 32mm) and Blaze Away (45mm) sit on the new crossing during tests! No problems whatsoever! If you wanted to run a BigBig Ruston over the crossing however, a bit of filing might need doing!

The next project is the long passing loop and sidings for the 32mm!

Following that, Still to do...

- Proper lift out bridges will be built for better access to the lower part of the garden
-A steaming Bay may be built
Bungle80a

"Who has stolen the 3 link coupling off the end of my train?!?!

.....[a few minutes pass hunting down replacements].....

"So, which comedian has uncoupled my entire train?!?!"

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue May 26, 2009 12:32 am

The brick work looks excellent, I feel your talents are wasted at Aldi, allthough the job is probably more secure...

I hope there are a few line ups going to take place on that crossing in future, is the black stuff just to weather it?

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Tue May 26, 2009 12:34 am

SillyBilly wrote:The brick work looks excellent, I feel your talents are wasted at Aldi, allthough the job is probably more secure...
Perhaps he should become a full time garden railway builder?! :lol: :lol: Certainly does a good job!

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Tue May 26, 2009 7:43 am

Looking Brill ;) 8)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Tue May 26, 2009 11:36 am

mhlr wrote:
SillyBilly wrote:The brick work looks excellent, I feel your talents are wasted at Aldi, allthough the job is probably more secure...
Perhaps he should become a full time garden railway builder?!  :lol:  :lol:  Certainly does a good job!
Having seen the quality of the workmanship on the Fairfield Railway I would agree with that comment :D
Again Bungle, a fantastic looking bit of work, that crossing looks great
"What the hell is that?"

Matt
Driver
Driver

Post by Matt » Tue May 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Great work there.
Garden Railways-best hobby in the world.

jmquet
New User
New User

Re: Building the Fairfield Railway

Post by jmquet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Please let me know this work is only for the garden? BTW great work!@!!