The Skebawn and Castleknox Light Railway and Tramway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Big Jim

Re: The Skebawn and Castleknox Light Railway and Tramway

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Sound like things are moving on apace Peter.
I like the sound of the little line down to the Sands. It sounds very Rye and Camber to me.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:14 pm

I have built a few things to 16mm scale, and I have a little IP engineering MD2 "diesel" I like to mess around with when I have only a little time to play trains *cough* run a railway; hence the Far End Tramway, as a change of pace from the S&CT. Trouble with our house is that it is on a corner, so finding somewhere relatively secret in the yard is difficult. There is a "useless patio" (Herself's description) on the south side of the kitchen, and I am thinking of putting the outdoor line there. The other possibility (though more exposed) is along the side of the big flower bed, but that might cause problems with the Planning Authority.

Another possibility being explored is an outdoor branch of the indoor line to serve the Munster Mining Company operation at Curranhilty, but I reckon I have most of the winter to think over the merits of those two ideas. The other possibility is to pursue the Norwegian insanity outside, and the Irish inside.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:31 am

More plywood disappeared into the basement yesterday, and the art of very crude joinery continues. Chippy Norton occasionally appears to take a disgusted look at my efforts, but he says that if it gets trains moving again he is all for it. Ferret Sweeney has been seen around making comments about the management trying to make a quart fit in a pint pot, but he expects to have the gang out soon. The official loco report from Spanner O'Toole is that Numbers 1 (The Yank Tank), 3 (Millie), and 4 (Anna aka The Hun) are available, but if you have any sense, use No 3, and if three needs a washout take No. 4.

More realistically, the bench-work is coming along nicely, and I expect to have station area operational by the end of October.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:17 am

It would be good to see some pictures of the basement Peter.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:40 am

I attempted to take some general shots down there tonight but the flash battery was dead, and it is a dark hole down there, so only the best lit area would photograph. More photos over on the Projects board. Here is a taster...
General view towards work bench, and turntable end of main station
General view towards work bench, and turntable end of main station
Railway 1.jpg (420.88 KiB) Viewed 6951 times
Looking into the void... this is the area into which the terminus leads from the back left hand corner of the shot.
Looking into the void... this is the area into which the terminus leads from the back left hand corner of the shot.
Track 12.jpg (505.98 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
Peter in Va
Last edited by IrishPeter on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:23 am

Loads of room! :thumbup:

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:04 am

A good start that, I hope the noble citizens of the locale appreciate your efforts to get their railway running again.
There are various assorted Dai's here in West Wales who might be interested in a working holiday after the mothballing of the PMR.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:08 am

Ferret and the lads were out today laying track in the station area. They are a bit non-plussed about getting ballast to the site, as the Cork area management is insisting on rehabilitating the line from the wrong end. Misery Mahon's understudy 'Porter' Pete Scanlon came down for the day looking for suggestions on how to expedite the job. Misery is sulking in his tent because Area would not take his suggestion of converting the line to Broad Gauge seriously. No-one really cares as Pete is a convivial sort, and much easier to deal with than his boss. It took Pete awhile to explain to Ferret what expedite means, but the light bulb went on eventually and he said 'Ah! So you want us to hurry the fecking job up, then?' At this point Ferret suddenly became quite animated, explaining what needed to be done and what did not. It seems Cork does not know much about what has happened on the S&CT&LR since 1925 - mainly because Ferret and his Dad were prone to just doing jobs out of materials on hand, which included raiding the stash of P.W. materials at Castleknox in the dead of night when the opportunity presented itself.

The animated debate continued later on when everyone, including Porter Pete, adjourned to Maggie's to consume their daily quota of the black stuff. When he is out of the reach of Nora (Mrs. Scanlon), Pete is given to making a night of it, so each of his usual three pints was followed by two fingers of Paddy. Apparently, Area is quite worried about making the traffic from Munster Mining pay, and are wondering how to reduce transhipment costs. Finnbar the Spanner explained to Pete about transporter wagons, and even wrote it down on the back of a beer mat with Chippy's carpenter's pencil, so that he can remember it when he sobers up in the morning. the evening ended with everyone struggling with, if it takes two men so long to empty a wagon, how much can they shift in a day? Complicated by at 9/- a day what does it cost? The conclusion was that they should have paid more attention to algebra in maths class. Seems that the Cavan and Leitrim section considered them - transporter wagons not algebra classes - back in independent days for the Arigna coal traffic.

Given the amount of skullduggery that goes on there, perhaps I should make a model of Maggie's next.

Cheers,
Peter in VA

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:35 am

Finnbar the Spanner spent his Tuesday playing with the little black diesel. Said locomotive did indeed have a wheel set that was wide to gauge, so the B2B measurement was brought down to the proper 40mm by insetting the brass bushes, rubbing a few thou off the insulators on the wheels, and using the wheel press (vice) to shove 'em in a bit. So far it has not derailed when travelling unpowered axle first over any of the point work, so it looks like surgery a success.

Peter in Va.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Good News Peter.
I am glad that Finbarr was able to read, mark and inwardly adjust the wheel sets.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Big Jim wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 pm Good News Peter.
I am glad that Finbarr was able to read, mark and inwardly adjust the wheel sets.
Very good, Jim!

Peter in Va

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:12 pm

If I can get the Missus in a cooperative mood, it is time to take a trip to the Hardware barn and buy some more plywood and framing timber to push the Skebawn and Castleknox on a bit. The non-cooperative weather is pushing me in the direction of working on the S&CT and faffing about intermittently with rolling stock projects for the outdoor line when I need a change of pace. One relatively painless job I could get on with is changing out the couplings on the S&C stock (to round head Norwegian couplings) and then put the existing square heads to one side for the outside line. RIP track needs emptying too. The missus also found some lampposts in the clearance basket which are a bit short, but if I mount them on a wall no-one should be any the wiser.

Cheers,
Peter in Va

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:11 pm

I have been totally stopped on railway projects since February thanks to finding myself in the middle of a Church Planting effort which has absorbed a vast amount of my energy over the spring and summer. Anyway, the situation seems to be stabilizing a bit now, so I might be able to get on with both the S&CLR&T, and the outdoor line - except now the annual vacation is looming. <sigh>

Peter in Va.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:57 pm

IrishPeter wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:11 pm I have been totally stopped on railway projects since February thanks to finding myself in the middle of a Church Planting effort which has absorbed a vast amount of my energy over the spring and summer. Anyway, the situation seems to be stabilizing a bit now, so I might be able to get on with both the S&CLR&T, and the outdoor line - except now the annual vacation is looming. <sigh>

Peter in Va.
It is funny how that real life manages to get in the way of model railways.
I know the feeling Peter, I have been suffering with parish related issues for the last few months. It was only last week I got into the shed for the first time since January.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:08 pm

Good to hear from you again Peter....know what you mean about holidays....it's an unusually hot summer here, I'd be happy to get hot in this country (near a railway) but Mrs B feels the need to fly somewhere warm. To be resolved!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:43 pm

Big Jim wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:57 pm
IrishPeter wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:11 pm I have been totally stopped on railway projects since February thanks to finding myself in the middle of a Church Planting effort which has absorbed a vast amount of my energy over the spring and summer. Anyway, the situation seems to be stabilizing a bit now, so I might be able to get on with both the S&CLR&T, and the outdoor line - except now the annual vacation is looming. <sigh>

Peter in Va.
I know the feeling Peter, I have been suffering with parish related issues for the last few months. It was only last week I got into the shed for the first time since January.
Either times have changed since Rev Denny's time or you two are doing something wrong! He managed to build a garden line AND an indoor one, and still earn his daily bread. Mind you, Rev Awdry must have had a fair bit of time on his hands, and Rev Boston's flock must have had to pretty mych fend for themselves while he looked after his locos and traction engines... Guess they weren't running three parishes and the local food bank back then...

Hope you both get some modelling done soon!

All the best,

Andrew.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:43 pm
Big Jim wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Peter in Va.
Either times have changed since Rev Denny's time or you two are doing something wrong! He managed to build a garden line AND an indoor one, and still earn his daily bread. Mind you, Rev Awdry must have had a fair bit of time on his hands, and Rev Boston's flock must have had to pretty mych fend for themselves while he looked after his locos and traction engines... Guess they weren't running three parishes and the local food bank back then...

Hope you both get some modelling done soon!

All the best,

Andrew.
Very different now.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Yes, thought it must be - keep up the good work!

Andrew.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:59 am

bazzer42 wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:08 pm Good to hear from you again Peter....know what you mean about holidays....it's an unusually hot summer here, I'd be happy to get hot in this country (near a railway) but Mrs B feels the need to fly somewhere warm. To be resolved!
I usually quite look forward to the end of summer holiday, but this year things are more than a little nuts. Firstly, I have taught three courses back to back at the Theological Institute, and that has eaten time like nobody's business. Secondly, the missus has had some health issues of the more annoying than serious variety, which has meant plenty of time at the Quack Shop. Thirdly, we have had to have some work done on the house - additional electrical outlets, and a repair to the aged central heating system. All of which stress seems to drive my ocular migraine into overdrive with the result that my GP is packing me off to a neurologist. The latest circus is that the vet where I usually board the dog is moving while we are supposed to be away, except now they are not - maybe - so that means Plans B & C have to be reformulated.

I could really use some railway time, but every time I think I have a clear evening I have something comes up...

Very frustrating!

Peter in Va

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:00 pm

The temperatures have dropped, and the weather has dried up enough that I can get to work on S&CT, which has been more-or-less neglected since last winter due to fact the basement has been unusually damp this summer, and I am not keen on being down there listen to the blasted dehumidifier rumbling. The next stage will have to be some serious benchwork building, so I can get the continuous run established down in the basement. In the mean time I am messing around with some HGLW kits making a couple of small open wagons (original tramway stock that survived) for the S&CT, and also contemplating a locomotive for my other line. The wagons are getting tweaked a bit, larger wheels, and I will probably alter the strapping on the ends to be more reflective of mid-1880s practice. These wagons will get low running numbers.

In all events - progress at last.

Cheers,
Peter in Va