Peaslake & Grayswood Light Railway Construction Diary

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
MTA

Peaslake & Grayswood Light Railway Construction Diary

Post by MTA » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:14 pm

In one of my 'sod it' moments, I have decided to stop all other projects (except Victor!) and proceed with the construction of my own Garden Railway.

It does not have a name as yet, but once it is finished I suspect it will have to have one :lol:

For now, here is what I intend to include on the railway:

3 stations, 2 termini and one intermediate.

A depot, either at one of the termini or on between two of the stations.

Gradients, from the intermediate station to the lower level terminus as well as an embankment. A drawing later on will explain the reason for this...

A minimum of 3 1/2 feet radius curves, this is because I am intending to get an Accucraft WD Baldwin :roll:

A Gauge 1 branch line from the intermediate station, over the Gauge O line to then end at another station adjoining the Greenhouse (which may be demolished, seeing as it is never used...)

I will try and do a rough outline using MS Paint later on.

Watch this space!
Last edited by MTA on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MTA

Post by MTA » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:48 pm

Here is a 'survey' of my garden. As you can see, one part (in front of the house) is very steep.

The grey rectangle to the top is the greenhouse, with the one just to the left of the house the washing line :lol:

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:27 pm

Interesting stuff Si :) So is the plan that the line will be end-to-end?

MTA

Post by MTA » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Yep, end to end.

I much prefer end to end as you are more involved in the operation of the railway, rather than watch it go round and round...

MTA

Post by MTA » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Here is the 1st Plan (of what will be many no doubt) of the railway:

If I do have an area for people to light up it will either be at the end of the intermediate station in the corner, or have it at the beginning of the downgrade from the intermediate station.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:48 pm

MTA wrote:I much prefer end to end as you are more involved in the operation of the railway, rather than watch it go round and round...
Fair enough, but I think there will be times when actually you do just want to sit back and watch the trains go by, rather than constantly having to get up to deal with stuff...maybe have an avoiding line between the two termini? Just a suggestion ;)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:52 am

Looks excellent, but I would recommend putting as little graients in as possible, or Victor will be unlikely to complete a circuit.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:16 pm

A very ambitious project. Good luck with building that railway.

I agree with the comments for a continuous loop and little gradients. The Mamod & MSS locos are very underpowered, and although they can runaway from you on the level with a light train, as soon as you introduce an up gradient they will struggle and probably stop. And if you do not have radio control fitted then you will be chasing 'Victor' around all day adjusting the reverser/regulator.

My plan for a garden railway (my garden is much smaller than the one you have there) is for a single track rectangular loop, with 2 passing stations, 2 sidings, a tunnel and a large bridge/viaduct. Building a hill or mountain to go on top of that tunnel may yield a siding up to a mine, but that will probably be for my diesel locomotives, as I do not think any of my current steam locos would be able to climb up the gradient, and of course would have no braking on the way down. However I've still got to build the garden first!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:30 pm

Great plan MTA! Look forward to more progress!

My grandad and I are starting our railway this year...my gran won't know until its progressed to far to stop us :lol:

ACLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by ACLR » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:06 pm

look forward to seing the progress mate :D

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:31 pm

After a bit of thought, I have decided to make the top part of the layout into a loop with a turning triangle (cringe). I will make a second version to show where it will go into place...

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:43 pm

After operating a circuit layout yesterday, then looking at the other layouts (all bar 3 being end to end) I noticed the owners/operators of the end to end layouts were fed up :lol:

So with the top made into a loop with a turning triangle it has created an avoiding line as it were.

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Nice one Si, that's the kind of thing I was thinking of :) Should make for a really interesting layout now, I reckon you'll have a lot of fun with it!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:29 pm

Even better Si!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:50 pm

:shock: I will be looking forward to seeing that wen its done!!!!

MTA

Post by MTA » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:35 pm

mhlr wrote::shock: I will be looking forward to seeing that wen its done!!!!
I suspect it will be a couple of years before the entire line is in place.

To begin with I will build the line from the part to the bottom left hand side of the drawing to the intermediate station, as well as the 45mm gauge line.

Once that is working well, I will then go on to the remainder of the line ;)

MTA

Post by MTA » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:30 pm

I have just bought some of Accucraft's 45mm gauge track, and it really is beautiful stuff 8)

I have bought two 3ft sections of straight section, which have 3 sets of sleepers with the webs cut alternating from side to side allowing the track to be curved slightly if need be.

I have decided to build the 45mm circuit first, as I actually have a running engine for that gauge!

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Sounds good Simon, you should invest in some Accucraft waggons as they come with a set of wheels for both gauges.

MTA

Post by MTA » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:39 pm

SillyBilly wrote:Sounds good Simon, you should invest in some Accucraft waggons as they come with a set of wheels for both gauges.
I did think about getting some, most likely the L&B stock in SR Freight Brown...

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat May 17, 2008 10:51 pm

The railway now has a name:

Amberside Light Railway.

I have also decided to do the same as the railway that Bungle is building by laying Gauge 1 and Gauge O side by side. I suspect the trackplan will change because of this...