What 45mm track?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:52 pm

What 45mm track do you use MuzTrem??

Will pointed me towards Aristocraft :?

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 pm

Mostly LGB, but the very large radius curves are from another manufacturer (quite possibly Aristocraft, but I can't honestly remember!) At any rate both types have lasted well, needing only cleaning when running the electric locos.

Edit - actually I tell a lie - the LGB points havn't lasted so well, the mechanisms no longer work and, the often won't close properly (presumably because of trapped dirt/ballast) causing derailments, and the electric locos often stall on the dead frogs. (By that, of course, I mean the component at the centre of the point - I don't have dead animals on my line!) Might be worth scratchbuilding your own points, especially as it's also cheaper that way...

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:55 pm

I have split this from Simon's 'Anna' topic as I can see it wondering off topic!

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:44 am

I have had a collection of LGB and Aristocraft track here in Tennessee on my back deck.

Much of it was bought four or so years ago, before the prices went high, and much of the LGB is secondhand, paid about $2-3 a foot for it here in the States.

Of the two, I would stick with LGB. Aristo is "cheaper" in price, but also in quality, from China afterall. I sold much of it on eBay, at a bit of a profit.

I kept with these brands as they interchange, and they make for a "put down and take up" railway for the kids and I to play with then move.

I know that there are a couple other options now, including Piko (expensive) Accucraft are selling track in the UK. Sunset Valley has a dealer in the UK somewhere, and there are Tenmille and Brandbright too.
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:54 pm

So Aristocraft and LGB are compatible?

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:24 pm

Yep!

steamyjim
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by steamyjim » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:50 pm

Thats good! :D

MTA

Post by MTA » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:32 pm

I suspect I will have to go to The Engine Shed at some point to get some track for Anna! The Engine Shed's website is here: www.gaugemaster.co.uk

If anyone knows somewhere that sells LGB or Aristocraft track cheaper please inform me!

Having looked at the dual gauge track available, it is rather expensive and I am going with Jim's suggestion of having a 45mm branch line :)

SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:22 pm

Try http://www.track-shack.com/index.php?ca ... 2ffefa7418 the AMS NG stuff looks rather nice, although more expensive.

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:27 pm

I understand from a friend who has a 45mm gauge railway that LGB track is currently a very rare find, and is going for over the previous new price at present on ebay.

Will probably be some time before the new 'LGB' is back to full production.

Spule 4
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Spule 4 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:38 am

steamyjim wrote:So Aristocraft and LGB are compatible?
Yes and no, the rail profile is not exact, the Aristo track is a TIGHT fit in LGB joints.

But other than this, no running problems.

LGB track cannot be found for reasonable prices now. This summer I sold my 1600 series points I bought new for $45 US for well over $150 each! And as far returns to production, look at 2007 prices and add 35% is the current rumor on the street.

Why much of my LGB got sold off and a return to my SM32 roots from the 1980s...
Garrett

"Some say that Mamods have problems.  Whatever. I view them as opportunities for improvement."