The CVLR gets it's new home (WIP railway & stock)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:04 pm

As promised...pics!!
Boc's Bank 2013.

Boc's Slateworks sidings also got cleaned up.

And with the line recieving new bogie coaches the old original 4 wheelers were hauled to Fox Road works for scrapping.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Great stuff!
Is the culvert scratch-built? It looks ace :D and have you expanded the slate works a bit as well as "cleaning up" ;)
And with the line recieving new bogie coaches the old original 4 wheelers were hauled to Fox Road works for scrapping.
Which reminds me, we need to talk ;)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Narrow Minded:79132 wrote:Most excellent Shane - I loved the bit from 1:33 where steam was still issuing out of the tunnel mouth!:D Top Notch!!   :thumbup:
Yes I agree, that part was great. That "Carrie" is an excellent engine. It has the best "chuff" out of all your engines. It sounds like you have the timing spot on, and the Hackworth gear is interesting to watch. I really must try to acquire a "Carrie" some day if I can.

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Excellent work as ever Shane, :D the line is looking fantastic, lovely shot looking under the bridge and down the bank, that culvert just adds to it even more :D
Cheers Tom

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Looking good! I agree re the culvert - rarely modelled but a lovely touch. And that photo of the carriages awaiting scrapping is very poignant... I built some 4-wheelers a while back that I'm supposed to be grounding as lineside huts but I don't know if I'll ever be able to put my sentimentality aside long enough to actually do it...

Cheers,

Andrew.

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Ages and ages ago the question was asked about gradients on the CVLR. Having visited today with measuring equipment, I can now reveal the answers. Mawll Bank is around 1 in 35; the bank by the sheds (between the C&W sidings and Chyknell) is 1 in 55. Box Bank (where Sir Haydn's boxcab came to grief, as indeed Wilberforce did today on a lengthy freight) comes out at 1 in 27.

Stupidly, I left my spirit level there - next step is to work out how to get it back!
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:48 pm

hussra:82423 wrote: Stupidly, I left my spirit level there - next step is to work out how to get it back!
Sounds like an excuse for another visit to me!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:49 pm

I love the brick detail inside the tunnel, the lack of brick detail, the usual lack of detail inside them tends to really annoy me
A steam propelled life-style.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:58 pm

whats happened to your lovly railway I wanna see more

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:20 pm

Have just spent the last few evenings following this thread - truly inspiring :D
I would love to know whether the line is still running. Brilliant stuff.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:28 pm

It is still running, but Pendo Pilot posts all of his photos to the Facebook groups now. The railway also has its own Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CVLR-Chy ... ts&fref=ts
It's come on quite a bit!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:42 pm

laalratty:102833 wrote:It is still running, but Pendo Pilot posts all of his photos to the Facebook groups now. The railway also has its own Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CVLR-Chy ... ts&fref=ts
It's come on quite a bit!
Thanks Laalratty, I'll check that out. I see you are relatively close to me - I'm near Ingleton.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:45 pm

And for those of us who won't touch facebook..... another loss to the Forum!

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:46 am

Peter Butler:102835 wrote:And for those of us who won't touch facebook..... another loss to the Forum!
Some great photos there on FB nevertheless ....

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:35 am

Peter Butler:102835 wrote:And for those of us who won't touch facebook..... another loss to the Forum!
It's a shame, isn't it? I don't currently use FB, mainly because I fear I may end up spending half my life there, but it does seem to be absorbing a lot of the content that was previously on forums and discussion groups.

There's so much support, advice and inspiration to be found online - if only everyone would just stay in one place!

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:21 pm

I couldn't agree more Andrew. :(
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Andrew:102850 wrote: There's so much support, advice and inspiration to be found online - if only everyone would just stay in one place!

Andrew.
And there are silver-crested gents on the e-groups muttering similar sentiments into their moustaches about online facilities like this forum, and in the early days of e-groups there were those who said users were "hogging all the gen" and questions and answers should be confined to the letters pages of the club's (quarterly) magazine.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:27 pm

I will admit to posting on Facebook alot more than i do here, probably because it is so much easier to post photos and videos on there. Also I do 99% of my browsing on my iPad and unfortunately it is impossible to post photos on here through my ipad. :oops:
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 am

TommyDodd:102874 wrote:
Andrew:102850 wrote: There's so much support, advice and inspiration to be found online - if only everyone would just stay in one place!

Andrew.
And there are silver-crested gents on the e-groups muttering similar sentiments into their moustaches about online facilities like this forum, and in the early days of e-groups there were those who said users were "hogging all the gen" and questions and answers should be confined to the letters pages of the club's (quarterly) magazine.
Perhaps I should clarify and say that I'm not "anti" anything, and would neither dream of telling others what to do nor be daft enough to think that they'd do it if I did. I suppose I'm just a little wistful that the take-up of new means of communication - in this case FB - almost inevitably leads to less vibrancy in older ones - in this case this forum, which is a shame as far as I'm concernmed, 'cos I really like it here.

I'm not silver-crested just yet, just greying slightly at the temples in a way that I hope makes me look statesman-like and dignified (perhaps ironing my shirts would help too?), so I'm sure I can cope with a leap to new technology, and - because I value all that the online garden railway community can offer - at some point I'll quite possibly hop onto FB. But, work and family commitments, and the desire to actually do some modelling rather than just talking online about doing some modelling, would probably mean that if I did I'd contribute less elsewhere. Just as when I joined this forum a year or two ago I began to contribute less to the 16mm e group...

So in that sense at least I suppose the moustache-mutterers were right. Not that I have one of those. I did once grow a beard on the basis that all blokes should give it a go once, but it was the moustache part that really bothered me, particularly the way the cheesy smell of a deep-pan pizza would linger there long after the thing was eaten...

All the best,

Andrew.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Facebook is not a particularly friendly format for this sort of endeavour, though some folks seem to be able to make it work. What drives me nuts is the relentless duplication of 'groups' covering more-or-less the same area populated by more-or-less the same people. It makes it very time consuming, and at times frustrating. It is a good replacement for the daily bulletin, but it is a lousy one the technical journal.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.