The CVLR gets it's new home (WIP railway & stock)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:29 am

Not had a lot of time as of late, what I did have was spent fettling & enjoying the railway. It truly is a relaxing place to while away the precious free time.
A collection of recent photo's from the CVLR.

Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:44 am

Ooh! Lots of new stuff infrastructure - wise there! :D

Great set of photo's as ever Shane, the CVLR has really developed its own character. Love it! :thumbup:

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:50 am

LMB? The only acronym I can think of is "Location Marker Board"- a kind-of fixed distant used in a weird experimental cheap signalling system tried by the LNER in the 30s...
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Ahh no Mr Lockley, LMB board on that peg is something of a little experiment the CVLR is conducting. It's not finished yet so is showing wrong but that home signal is actually to be fitted with route indication via the route board system. L (loop), M ( Main), B (Branch). After making it I realised the M would not be needed & will be covered up in time.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 pm

The CVLR's 7 new wagons get put straight into traffic with the existing opens. A few pics of No 4 on an empties train to PorthCadno.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Just the job :D They fit in very well, just need the "newness" toning down a bit ;)

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Intriguing. Bottom doors, or intended to go through a rotary tippler?
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

Endless, Nameless
Driver
Driver

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:53 am

Fantastic as ever Shane. Nice to see some proper length freight trains!
Matt

"The Ancient Greeks called it Pandora's box- but what they actually meant was Baldrick's Trousers"

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:25 am

TommyDodd:69122 wrote:Intriguing. Bottom doors, or intended to go through a rotary tippler?
:D Nope, as bought low detail awaiting strapping fitted to emulate door opening on sides as per L&B opens. A job I hasten to add that I wont be rushing to do! ;) They need end bracing as well.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue May 01, 2012 1:07 am

Usual story, work, family, stress etc etc.

Finally managed to put a fire in a loco this evening..Infact while I was at it I decided to light two & then went a little mad with consist size. Zach best not watch it.  :twisted:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zXuf6p9CLsM?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zXuf6p9CLsM?version=3&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
BTW, didnt even have time to set the camera up, so I used my new phone...which is actually a lot better than my camera..except maybe on sound.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue May 01, 2012 10:30 am

:thumbup:

Excellent stuff Shane! (though I did spot a few more wagons in the loop that you could have hung on it :lol: )
When I watched it again, I found myself wishing that the Fowler was also fitted with a chuff pipe ;) )

Your "greenery" is certainly a bit more rampant than mine at the mo' - it must be the couple of degrees that you're more southerly :D

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Tue May 01, 2012 10:41 am

Looking good Shane, The greenery really has gone mad!

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue May 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Well taking a leaf out of the wifes book, when things get you down a bit it's gotta be retail therapy.

Of course she knows squat about retail therapy! This is how you do it. LOL

Ahh yes, well thats blown my Olympics money then.

CVLR mods already started (due to rain),
Gauge, Balloon stack & couplings changed. Bits painted black including rear of buffer beams (a personal niggle) & chuff pipe fitted. Numbering started as CVLR No2 & it hasnt even turned a wheel yet.. :shock:

Now rain, please stop.......

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Tue May 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Brilliant.

Shane before you run it go round and check everything is tight. I know loads of people who have had the timing go out due to loose lock nuts on the first run. Just check the steam and gas lines are tight too.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue May 01, 2012 2:34 pm

Cheers for the tip Matt, gave it a good look round but found nothing loose. :D

Ok raining still but hey!

On shed.

A lap light engine to loosen up a bit.

Before getting down to some light work.

Slow speed on this is superb & will happily chug about slowly along the line.

First blow down reveals either some thick oil from building or something else?

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Just check there is nothing blocking the steam entry hole in the lubricator isnt blocked by anything.

I wouldnt be too worried as there seems to be a fair amount of condensate dropped too

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue May 01, 2012 4:16 pm

I like those. It will fit right in on your railway once some of the "new" has been run off it. (And you've turned that pressure gauge around and moved it out of the spectacle)

I really enjoyed that last "double header" video (just watched it with my morning coffee before work) but I must say my favorite of your engines has to be that one with the square spectacles and Hackworth gear called "Warrior". Something about it really looks authentic and workmanlike to me. What kind of engine is it?

spooner
Fireman
Fireman

Post by spooner » Tue May 01, 2012 6:17 pm

A very nice engine.
Are do any thing with the top of coal boxes?
Ian
WLR

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Tue May 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Keith S:70413 wrote: but I must say my favorite of your engines has to be that one with the square spectacles and Hackworth gear called "Warrior". Something about it really looks authentic and workmanlike to me. What kind of engine is it?
Yeah Keith one of my favs too, it's a Roundhouse Carrie, based on the earlier Charles Pooter loco's. The carries being internally gas fired & more up to date. Last production run was 2007 I believe, mine was from that batch.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Lovely new addition to the roster Shane - looks grand in any colour! (but better in some;) )