The CVLR gets it's new home (WIP railway & stock)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:21 pm

I couldn't agree more Andrew. :(
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Andrew:102850 wrote: There's so much support, advice and inspiration to be found online - if only everyone would just stay in one place!

Andrew.
And there are silver-crested gents on the e-groups muttering similar sentiments into their moustaches about online facilities like this forum, and in the early days of e-groups there were those who said users were "hogging all the gen" and questions and answers should be confined to the letters pages of the club's (quarterly) magazine.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:27 pm

I will admit to posting on Facebook alot more than i do here, probably because it is so much easier to post photos and videos on there. Also I do 99% of my browsing on my iPad and unfortunately it is impossible to post photos on here through my ipad. :oops:
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 am

TommyDodd:102874 wrote:
Andrew:102850 wrote: There's so much support, advice and inspiration to be found online - if only everyone would just stay in one place!

Andrew.
And there are silver-crested gents on the e-groups muttering similar sentiments into their moustaches about online facilities like this forum, and in the early days of e-groups there were those who said users were "hogging all the gen" and questions and answers should be confined to the letters pages of the club's (quarterly) magazine.
Perhaps I should clarify and say that I'm not "anti" anything, and would neither dream of telling others what to do nor be daft enough to think that they'd do it if I did. I suppose I'm just a little wistful that the take-up of new means of communication - in this case FB - almost inevitably leads to less vibrancy in older ones - in this case this forum, which is a shame as far as I'm concernmed, 'cos I really like it here.

I'm not silver-crested just yet, just greying slightly at the temples in a way that I hope makes me look statesman-like and dignified (perhaps ironing my shirts would help too?), so I'm sure I can cope with a leap to new technology, and - because I value all that the online garden railway community can offer - at some point I'll quite possibly hop onto FB. But, work and family commitments, and the desire to actually do some modelling rather than just talking online about doing some modelling, would probably mean that if I did I'd contribute less elsewhere. Just as when I joined this forum a year or two ago I began to contribute less to the 16mm e group...

So in that sense at least I suppose the moustache-mutterers were right. Not that I have one of those. I did once grow a beard on the basis that all blokes should give it a go once, but it was the moustache part that really bothered me, particularly the way the cheesy smell of a deep-pan pizza would linger there long after the thing was eaten...

All the best,

Andrew.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Facebook is not a particularly friendly format for this sort of endeavour, though some folks seem to be able to make it work. What drives me nuts is the relentless duplication of 'groups' covering more-or-less the same area populated by more-or-less the same people. It makes it very time consuming, and at times frustrating. It is a good replacement for the daily bulletin, but it is a lousy one the technical journal.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:38 pm

I like it here :)

I have absolutely no interest in facebook or twitter, I think that name probably says it all.

I'm not sure it is a question of new technology phobia, a computer is a computer ( at least, in this context) so its only a  question of whether to write on white paper, or green paper, on the lines or in the boxes, etc. ie format and UI.

To be honest, the thing that really puts me off FB  and Twitface is the endless advertising telling me to go and 'like' the advertisers page, whatever that means - No, I DON'T like your product thanks! and if you can't be bothered to tell me about your product directly, why should I waste my time going to look for it?

Sorry, off-topic rant over!
Philip

LnBmad
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by LnBmad » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:41 pm

wow.... just read all of this thread.

what an amazing railway.

as for the facebook and twitter vs the forum, i use both facebook and the forum but use them for different things. facebook i use for the quick captured moments where as i use the forum as a technical journal.
If it can be made full scale it can be made 16mm

My line: http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about7200.html

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: The CVLR gets it's new home (WIP railway & stock)

Post by big-ted » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:47 am

From time to time I like to come back to this thread & read it in its entirety over several evenings. The CVLR was such a fantastic feat of civil engineering, with amazing atmosphere to boot.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: The CVLR gets it's new home (WIP railway & stock)

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:58 am

big-ted wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:47 am From time to time I like to come back to this thread & read it in its entirety over several evenings. The CVLR was such a fantastic feat of civil engineering, with amazing atmosphere to boot.
Funny you say that, I've been doing just the same thing. Certainly a favourite of mine, and I've downloaded quite a few photos from this thread for future inspiration.
One of the best garden railways built.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works