Yr Hen Felin & Yr Orsaf Newydd

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Yr Hen Felin & Yr Orsaf Newydd

Post by gilfachphil » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:34 pm

More on Trefor
IMG_1374.jpeg
IMG_1374.jpeg (3.11 MiB) Viewed 3338 times
Whilst in primer there was some filling of some of the edge joints with Cataloy paste (knifing putty) followed by sanding and respraying until I was satisfied. Much more of this could be done by a perfectionist like our friend Peter B but I felt it was good enough for me.

The blue paint is a rattle can from the local (small) DIY store. There was a very limited range of colours. The blue has actually worked out well, it is quite a different shade to the dark blue of the 'Glaslyn' diesel.

The roof was the last piece of construction to be tackled. Difficult to see the end supports in the picture but the spaces for three more in the body of the loco are obvious. The kit includes centre bearers with an extra curved piece to be fitted on each side giving a reasonably solid item. A piece of 0.5mm black plastic laser cut to size for the roof and with a hole for the chimney and two for the safety valve outlet pipes is supplied. I felt this was too thin and so attempted to make a two layer roof from a new sheet of plastikard, laminating the second layer on top having first glued one layer to the roof supports. The supports and roof were held in place on the body with spring clips and the solvent run carefully between the loose three and roof and left to set. This formed a reasonable curved structure and could have been glued in place to the body, adding the second layer of black plastic glued quite well though there were some creases apparent. My trip to the Llangollen show yielded a sheet of 1.5mm material, a much better thickness, so using some solvent, scissors and brute force most of the thin plastic was removed and a quick skim with a Stanley knife got rid of the rest, leaving the three beams ready to try again.
IMG_1373.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 3334 times
Here he is again with the new roof placed on, once I have used glue (my present choice is Power Bond, which was on demonstration at Llangollen, and which so far I have had excellent results in using) the roof should fit tightly and the uplifted corners behave themselves.

Phil

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:17 am

I really like that!

The colour's great, and you've achieved a really nice finish...

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:19 am

I love it Phil, good strong colour and well finished...
(signed, 'the Perfectionist!!!)
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:27 am

Thanks Guys 8)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:51 am

Very nice indeed! :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:57 pm

Next a Spooner Brakevan from Sixteen Mills. Having seen the one made by Peter B it was an easy choice for something from their stand at Llangollen.

spoon 1.jpeg
spoon 1.jpeg (370.1 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
spoon 2.jpeg
spoon 2.jpeg (484.65 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
spoon 3.jpeg
spoon 3.jpeg (458.33 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
spoon 4.jpeg
spoon 4.jpeg (458.08 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
A pleasure to build. The basic structure was glued together with wood glue, omitting the overlays. The chassis members were glued to one another in place but not to the body and the steps assembled as separate pieces. Each section and the overlays were then sealed with MDF primer and allowed to dry then primed in grey with rattle cans. I had not decided on a colour scheme and checking what acrylic airbrush colours I had thought light blue for the body and dark blue for the overlays might look good. I attempted to airbrush the overlays but kept having clogging problems, the paint probably being too old and so resorted to brush painting them. Trying the dark blue overlays on the grey primer gave me the final colour scheme! The overlays were fixed with canopy glue, as were the corner strapping, hinges etc. The side door handles are brass ones from Brandbright, the guards compartment door handle a white metal one. The ship's wheel was not included in the kit and I sourced a Mantua one. The portholes are included with the kit. A guard awaits painting. I did wonder about giving him an anchor to throw out when needing an emergency stop but have not gone that far (yet).

Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:53 pm

I do like that Phil, the colour choice is excellent and beautifully done. I agree that the kits from Dave Mills are so well designed and fit together perfectly, he offers an interesting and varied selection too.
No connection other than a very satisfied customer, I attach a link to his 16mm site...

http://sixteenmills.co.uk/

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:07 am

Just catching up on the thread..

Don't see a lot of shunting layouts in 16mm, really packs away neatly; Nice work!
Trefor's come up nicely too.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:39 am

gilfachphil wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:57 pm ........ I did wonder about giving [the guard] an anchor to throw out when needing an emergency stop but have not gone that far (yet).
:lol: :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:00 am

I'm aiming to be at the Gwili Railway again on Saturday for their special event, along with the well known perfectionist and other friends, so long as the weather stays on our side. Please say 'Hello' if you are also there.

Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:52 am

The weather forecast sounds promising for the weekend Phil, but it is Wales! Looking forward to being together again.

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:07 am

I’ve just been notified that Micron Radio Control have released their new MR603 receiver so one is on order for Trefor, whose nameplates Martyn brought over yesterday when he visited to have a play with Yr Hen Felin shunting puzzle. I have ordered a spare as I’m minded to build a Slater’s ‘Prince’ as a future project having gained confidence with my loco builds in the less expensive end of the range.

Oh dear, the weather forecast for Saturday has deteriorated!

Phil

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:28 pm

A wet day at the Gwili but luckily we were allowed to use a small marquee so went ahead. Not as many visitors as there would have been on a sunny day but those who came kept me busy all day getting them shunting on the layout and having lots of fun.

Next outing looks like being there again on the 17th July.

Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:46 pm

An overcast day with intermittent rainstorms at the Gwili today with Phil and two other colleagues from our group. Reduced visitor numbers due to the forecast but a good day out nonetheless.
The theme of the day was 'Railway Oddities' and items on offer were...
IMG_8982.JPG
IMG_8982.JPG (144.91 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
IMG_8991.JPG
IMG_8991.JPG (148.95 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
IMG_8993.JPG
IMG_8993.JPG (141.54 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
We presented some of our own models...
IMG_8987.JPG
IMG_8987.JPG (141.8 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
IMG_8983.JPG
IMG_8983.JPG (112.53 KiB) Viewed 3036 times
The next date will also include classic cars and steam train rides throughout the day.

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:07 pm

Sitting in my hotel near Northampton after a great time at the National Show in Peterborough. My partner and I have made a short break of it and combined with some family visits. I now have two more locos to build and a couple more figures to paint.

Phil

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:33 am

Home now and had a quick look in the boxes of the kits I have lined up:-

a Clara from Boot Lane Works. Another company making 3D printed and laser cut kits with some rather lovely quaint vehicles in the catalogue at very attractive prices. The 3D printed parts have the usual lines from printing but I'm assured they sand out easily, I'll report back once I get going. They use Binnie spoked wheels for the drivers with a 3D printed insert for the cranks so quartering is supposed to be easy to set up and get right.

a Hunslet 125 0-6-0 diesel from Bole Laser Craft. This uses a mixture of laser cut acrylic, some finely cast resin parts and very high quality 3D printed nylon for the detailing parts. The kit uses the Roundhouse HBK -D3 Chassis Kit so the finished loco has serious weight. There are 3D printed parts to detail the chassis.

Phil

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:14 pm

I have made a start on the Hunslet diesel.

The chassis sides required drilling for addition of 3D printed detailing parts and the Bole kit includes a laser cut template to clip over the brass wheel bearings to mark the necessary holes, drilled at 2mm diameter. The easiest way to mark the positions seemed to be to drill very carefully, using the pillar drill through the template, then drill completely with template removed. The local chump (me) managed to do the first side with the template the wrong way up so some holes (6 of 12) had to be redrilled and later filled with Cataloy. The chassis was then cleaned and given two coats of etch primer.

The first picture shows the correctly drilled side uppermost, Cataloy can be seen on the other side. The couplings and buffer beams were held to the chassis for painting, the latter separated from it by lumps of blu tack.
47068FCA-D696-4185-8901-4BB42A8D7A2E.jpeg
47068FCA-D696-4185-8901-4BB42A8D7A2E.jpeg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 3147 times
The second picture shows 3D printed details added.
42E1E1A5-EF9A-4E96-A115-492468602D2D.jpeg
42E1E1A5-EF9A-4E96-A115-492468602D2D.jpeg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 3147 times
The chassis has been given an initial coat of acrylic primer. Picture to follow.

Phil

MRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by MRail » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:35 am

Very interesting.
PM sent.
Rob G
Madog & Mersey Railway (SM32)
In my Father's roundhouse are many loco sheds.

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:16 pm

Having applied the 3D printed detailing parts I then sprayed the chassis with grey primer followed by two coats of matt black. Next came adding the axles, wheels and driving gear wheel, tightening the grub screws with them roughly in place. The cranks were then pressed onto the ends of the axles using a drill press vice to force them gently into place. At this point the side play was excessive so I removed a crank at a time from one side and added a shim, as supplied in the kit for the purpose, which seemed to bring it within limits (0.5mm or so). Adding a connecting rod to one side of the chassis allowed all three axles to turn nearly freely but the second one caused a sticking point. The solution was to file the end holes a little larger and to flatten the slight rim machining in the factory had left round the holes. I found that reversing one of the connecting rods gave much freer running, obviously slightly out of symmetry. I then adjusted the positions of the wheels to give the correct back to back ( a brass plate is supplied in the kit) and so that they were evenly spaced between the sides of the frame. The chassis would now roll freely along a piece of track. I then attached the motor to its mounting plate and added the driving worm gear, then fixed this to the frames and adjusted its position to engage with the driving gear wheel. A 6volt battery was then used to test the running and it worked well in both directions.

The photos show side and underneath views at this stage:-
3DBB9CF4-587E-4F39-AA2D-DA4503134D50.jpeg
3DBB9CF4-587E-4F39-AA2D-DA4503134D50.jpeg (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2989 times
BB101F14-4262-4DA7-BC63-554484DC9FCE.jpeg
BB101F14-4262-4DA7-BC63-554484DC9FCE.jpeg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 2989 times
I will next add the partial footplate, battery and radio receiver board and associated switches and socket for charge. Somehow this is not with the Hunslet kit so I await the parts delivery to proceed further with the chassis.

Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:19 pm

Looks good and I'll bet it runs well too

Rik
------------------------