Yr Hen Felin & Yr Orsaf Newydd

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Yr Hen Felin & Yr Orsaf Newydd

Post by gilfachphil » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:37 pm

Thanks Aaron,

for the comments, suggestion and for your picture which is also very useful.

Not my trestle of course.

Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:24 pm

Some years ago I added gauges to a steam loco model I made by converting small scale (N or 00) wheels....
IMG_6167.JPG
IMG_6167.JPG (93.15 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
By removing the plastic centres and filling with clear epoxy resin, a gauge can easily be represented. If you need more detail, an image of any instrument could be inset....
IMG_6164.JPG
IMG_6164.JPG (112.2 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:59 pm

I did the same for the sawmill boiler, lateral thinking!
Boiler Gauge.jpg
Boiler Gauge.jpg (83.99 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Grant.

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:57 pm

I really must get down to doing something about using these excellent suggestions for detailing the cab of the Hunslett.

I am minded that Clara too has long been waiting for some attention.

Happy Christmas to all.

Phil

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:07 pm

Clara has finally seen some work bringing her very nearly to completion and last Sunday she had a maiden run,
(https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... &start=225 Page 16) a trip up to Tanygrisiau light engine and a second one with a Jerry Irwin cattle wagon. Running initally was a little uneven due to a slight binding in a con rod somewhere but by the end of the second round trip she was running much more smoothly.

She last appeared here on September 8th 2022, other railway modelling things have taken place in the interim (O gauge). The Boot Lane kit is said to be able to accommodate 4 AA cells, and indeed it is possible to get four in:-

IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1801 times

however this leaves very little space for the rest of the electronics. I have used two of the new Micron MR603 receivers in my recent loco builds but these need more voltage than 4 cells provide and so I originally bought the smaller Deltang one with booster from Andy Rutter. It is hiding underneath the cells in the picture above. I could not get it to work to my satisfaction, the motor ran noisily on its output though on pure DC it was fine. Andy very kindly allowed me to exchange that for one off his MR603 receivers. I substituted 6 AAA cells in two groups of three which could just fit into the smokebox and be clear of the motor. The receiver has been placed in the tank and two leads with tiny plugs and sockets are used to make the connections so the tank can be fully removed when necessary.

This now gave me a running loco which worked fairly happily along four feet of track. I now had the impetus to get on with finishing her off, boosted by the invitation to the Railway in the Valley of the Mill.

IMG_1607 2.JPG
IMG_1607 2.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1801 times

This picture shows the smaller cells, the recharging socket and under the right most piece of masking tape one of the two tiny sockets, the yellow wire is attached to the second one tucked beside the cells. You can also see how the riveting was carried out. When I bought the kit last June I had a very helpful chat with one of the guys on the Boot Lane stand who gave hints about this operation. Lengths of Tamiya 6mm masking tape were placed on a shiny sheet of metal, a ruler was aligned with them and marks made by a fine permanent ink marker at 5mm spacings. For the fire box I trimmed the tape to half width with a very sharp scalpel, for the tank I used the full width. Small dots of PVA were placed alongside the marks and a piece of nail art lifted from the board with point of scalpel and placed beside the tape in the glue. It was left to set hard. When peeling the tape away a few of the rivets came with it where the glue had gone onto the surface of the tape. Tape was replaced and another try had, etc.!

Once all the rivets were stuck satisfactorily (I very much hope they stay that way), the wheels and connecting and piston rods were removed (there is a very clever plate holding them to the chassis so they are easily removed) masking as necessary carried out and the loco body sprayed with several more coats of black, the tank obviously had several coats of ...

IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1801 times

Gauge glasses were added and a touch of gilding pastes used on the whistles and regulator handle, name and works plates are provided.

IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG (4.67 MiB) Viewed 1801 times

Here seen arriving at Dduallt with cattle wagon.

Phil

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:42 pm

She looked great and definitely benefited from running in - a very nifty little loco and a lovely build.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:16 am

Real tidy. 8)
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:31 am

That does look good! I'd be inclined to use 3 x 14500 (AA sized) or maybe even only two li-ion cells, but I know some are wary of using li-ion.
Thanks for the tip about getting the rivets evenly spaced on a curved surface. Another great idea filed away!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:45 pm

Thanks Rik,

I have no experience of Lithium ion batteries but certainly two AA size would have been much easier to accommodate and 7.4 volts would be plenty. I am wary of LiPos but are Li ion different or is there still a need for specific charging different to Nimh?

I claim no credit for the masking tape Idea, I was given it at the 2022 Garden Railway Show in Peterborough and have merely shared it.

Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:30 pm

gilfachphil wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:45 pm ..... I am wary of LiPos but are Li ion different or is there still a need for specific charging different to Nimh?
Phil
Hi Phil
Yes - lithium cells of whichever format need to be carefully charged and protected to ensure they don't over discharge. So saying, as long as they protection circuitry and are charged properly they are non problematic. I've been using them safely for ten years or so - and most battery powered electronic gadgetry uses them.

Rik
------------------------

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:56 pm

My latest project is a Plateway Models Alpine Balcony coach, bought last autumn at the Llanfair Caereinion show. The kit is laser cut plywood, lots of parts, some very small, and includes Binnie wheels, axles boxes and couplings and clear plastic glazing. There are several jigs included and I made up others for various tasks of the construction. I did not take photos as I went along as much was experimental and I was not confident enough in the outcome to document fully!

Here are some pictures of the very nearly finished coach, it awaits 3D printed door handles which are on order from Jerry Irwin.

IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0001.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 1908 times
IMG_0003.jpeg
IMG_0003.jpeg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1908 times

Apart from the roof, which had a coat of dark wood stain followed by two of dark grey acrylic primer, and the undercarriage and brake handle which are matt black Humbrol enamel, all the plywood was finished with wood varnish or wood stains.

The wheels have been set at greater spacing than designed in the kit as I felt with a shorter wheelbase it looked a bit unstable.
IMG_0004.jpeg
IMG_0004.jpeg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1908 times
The interior. The seats were glued from two side frames, seat and back. A block of timber was held in the vice, the frames clamped on either side and then the seat and back glued on with wood glue. The luggage racks were very fiddly! The same block of wood had a piece of 1mm thick plasticard glued on either side leaving about 1.5mm clear parallel with the top. A right angle line was drawn across the block and two brackets were then held either side by a bulldog clip. A second bulldog clip was used to hold the frame to the bearers whilst wood glue dried. I chickened out of adding varnish to them!

The side walls are made up of three layers of ply with plastic glazing sandwiched in place. These were sealed first with MDF sealer then had a couple of coats of antique pine varnish. The window frame layer was just dyed with a darker wood dye. The ends are two layers of ply. When gluing the layers together I clamped them to a granite worktop saver to ensure they were held flat.
IMG_0005.jpeg
IMG_0005.jpeg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 1908 times
The last picture shows the structure of the roof. The three cross members on the inside were slightly too long to fit between the walls, I reckon it would be a simple matter for them to be made slightly smaller in the kit to save a very fiddly operation with razor saw and chisel which was worrying in case of a slip.

Having made this one I think a train made up of several different types of this coach would look quite good.

Phil

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:29 pm

Love it! Balcony coaches are my favourite, one of the reasons I love the Welshpool & Llanfair. It's spoiled riding trains indoors for me. I agree, a train of variants on the theme would be fantastic.

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:00 pm

Thanks Simon,

yes, the WLLR is great and riding on the balcony one of the treats of life (but don't tell everyone!).

Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:05 pm

I fear this kit wouldn't find its way in to my collection, but you have made an excellent job of its construction an it would certainly look well with others of its kind.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:28 am

Gorgeous little thing, that.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:21 pm

SimonWood wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:29 pm Love it! I agree, a train of variants on the theme would be fantastic.
Very Corris looking - and I suspect typical tramway coaches, A rake of these would look splendid behind your tram loco.

Trevor

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:26 pm

I am planning a visit to Plateway Models stand at the LLangollen show.

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:41 pm

3D printed door handles arrived from Jerry Irwin yesterday, each is in two parts, the T handle itself and the collar is separate. I used gold gilding cream to colour them. I had to shorten the stub of one of each back to back pair to allow them both to fit snuggly either side of the coach wall then glued them in.

I eventually finished painting some figures earlier in the week. This guy was too tall for other items of rolling stock, by serendipity his hand is at the right height to hold the brake handle.

IMG_0008.jpeg
IMG_0008.jpeg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1761 times
IMG_0007.jpeg
IMG_0007.jpeg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1761 times

In case they would be useful to others I show here some of the jigs used in the construction:-

IMG_0006.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg (2.66 MiB) Viewed 1761 times
At top left. 2 roof jigs are provided to form the curve of the roof. I found them much easier to use by gluing to either side of a block of wood of suitable size.

Top right. A multipurpose block of wood of suitable thickness to glue the seats and to bend the handrails around (Clamping it in the vice to get them a tight fit, whilst the handrail was held down on the top surface with pliers). Gluing a piece of plasticard either side also served for forming the luggage racks.

At bottom left. I used the handrail part of this jig to get them to length. I added some extra holes to also use it as a drilling jig for the handrail mounting holes.

At bottom right. The kit includes a jig for spacing the sole bars at the correct spacing. I cut three slices from it to glue into the chassis.

Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:32 pm

You can rely on Jerry to supply jigs with his kits, nothing left to chance!
'Gold gilding cream' is new to me, unless it is similar to that used on picture frames.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:29 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:32 pm 'Gold gilding cream' is new to me, unless it is similar to that used on picture frames.
It certainly looks good. I thought the door handle was a brass casting.

Rik
------------------------