A 16mm layout...in a flat?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Small_George
Cleaner
Cleaner

A 16mm layout...in a flat?

Post by Small_George » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:53 pm

Hi all, as mentioned in my introduction post, I'm hankering after a layout of my own, but sadly I'm rather space limited by living in a flat. Once I get round to it I can perhaps visit the rather nice Cardiff Model Engineering Society for a longer run, but I would like to make up something myself. To this end, I've been working out a plan in AnyRail. I've sized it to 2.5x2.5m, about the biggest I can reasonably fit, with four 1.75x0.75m boards (and sadly just too small a space to make compliant modular layout boards, not to say that's off the table forever though!). These are on the larger size, but this layout is mostly meant to just be put up and down in the same room, and the less baseboard faffage the better! Despite the space, I've *just* managed to squeeze in 2ft6 radius curves all round (bar the goods siding), so I should be able to run small to medium locos (gently) and a decent range of stock. I've got the track, and the parts for a test board, so hopefully I may have some results soon(ish). How much of the plan makes it into the actual thing definitely remains to be seen though!

16mm layout screenshot.PNG
16mm layout screenshot.PNG (538.47 KiB) Viewed 4245 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A 16mm layout...in a flat?

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:32 am

You've certainly maximised the space there. We have / had a Russian forumite who constructed his layout on an enclosed balcony and got a great deal of pleasure from it.

He's not posted for a while. I wonder how he's getting on 🤔

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:59 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:32 am We have / had a Russian forumite who constructed his layout on an enclosed balcony and got a great deal of pleasure from it.

He's not posted for a while. I wonder how he's getting on 🤔
Actually there are/were 3 of them, because the Inspector visited all three whilst he was there last year. Funnily enough, reading George's trackplan post before I got to your comment, made me think of them as well.

However, with regard to the trackplan, it's difficult to be sure without some actual dims, but with the amount of curved track and pointwork, I'm very dubious about the track centres and fouling points? I'd be a bit surprised if the platform width is enough to allow 2 trains to pass, let alone actually have passengers waiting on the platform? ( but I could be wrong!)
Philip

Small_George
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Small_George » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:20 am

Good to hear the Russian balcony layout is still going well, that thread was definitely helpful in proving that such an idea is plenty possible! I do hope we get some updates on here soon, I'd love to see how they've come along.

As for the track plan, it's all still theoretical of course, but I believe there should be enough space for stock passing (nothing awfully long though): I've made up a few outlines of general 16mm stock and small engines and there seemed to be room. I've found anyrail makes 16mm track look bigger than it actually is, which makes it look a bit more toy-train in its size. I'll get another shot with stock and dimensions when I'm home and can fiddle. Anyway, if it does end up a problem, I'll just make it a single platform halt :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:26 am

That looks pretty exciting, I look forward to progress, particularly if you can add scenery - I love the look of the bridge and stream...

Small_George
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Small_George » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:01 am

Andrew wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:26 am That looks pretty exciting, I look forward to progress, particularly if you can add scenery - I love the look of the bridge and stream...
I'm definitely going to try make up for size with appearance! It'll be interesting to see how 16mm scenery compares to the 00 stuff I'm most familiar with.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:19 am

Small_George wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:01 am
Andrew wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:26 am That looks pretty exciting, I look forward to progress, particularly if you can add scenery - I love the look of the bridge and stream...
I'm definitely going to try make up for size with appearance! It'll be interesting to see how 16mm scenery compares to the 00 stuff I'm most familiar with.
I don't know what it says about me (nothing good, I'm sure), but I often find myself looking at toilet brushes etc and wondering if they'd make decent trees on an indoor layout. I think that's because they look like big versions of the cheap trees you can get in OO scale etc, you'd probably be better off using actual twigs.

There's so much scope for detail though - I've got some scale sized hedgehogs somewhere...

Anyway, do keep us posted!

E.V.
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by E.V. » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:55 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm glad to hear that you remember my humble balcony layout :D
Unfortunately, I did not have as much time to communicate on this forum as I would like. However, I am making some progress.
About six months ago, I decided to remake the base of the layout, replacing the wooden boards (they were very warped from fluctuations in temperature and humidity) with plastic boards for the outdoor terrace. This process was somewhat delayed, but recently I still managed to restore the movement of trains.
I also realized my old dream - a wooden trestle! :sunny:

Attachments
20220319_172159.jpg
20220319_172159.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 4186 times
20220319_174558(0).jpg
20220319_174558(0).jpg (3.59 MiB) Viewed 4186 times
Last edited by E.V. on Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egor

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:23 pm

Nice to hear from you!

That trestle's wonderful!

Small_George
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Small_George » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:19 am
Small_George wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:01 am
I don't know what it says about me (nothing good, I'm sure), but I often find myself looking at toilet brushes etc and wondering if they'd make decent trees on an indoor layout. I think that's because they look like big versions of the cheap trees you can get in OO scale etc, you'd probably be better off using actual twigs.

There's so much scope for detail though - I've got some scale sized hedgehogs somewhere...

Anyway, do keep us posted!
Now that's an idea and a half, I see some mutilated bathroom kit in my future :lol:.
E.V. wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:55 pm Hello everyone,
I'm glad to hear that you remember my humble balcony layout :D
Unfortunately, I did not have as much time to communicate on this forum as I would like. However, I am making some progress.
About six months ago, I decided to remake the base of the layout, replacing the wooden boards (they were very warped from fluctuations in temperature and humidity) with plastic boards for the outdoor terrace. This process was somewhat delayed, but recently I still managed to restore the movement of trains.
I also realized my old dream - a wooden trestle! :sunny:

https://youtu.be/8pQf9EEX84k
Fantastic to see how it's coming along Egor, that trestle is absolutely top, definitely one of my favourite types of bridge!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:09 pm

Nice work Egor, the trestle seems to expand the space somehow.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:29 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:59 am I'd be a bit surprised if the platform width is enough to allow 2 trains to pass, let alone actually have passengers waiting on the platform? ( but I could be wrong!)
Proportionally, I think your station plan can be made to work, although you may need to place any fixtures/people centrally on the platform. Also, make sure that your platform surface is no higher than the top of the rails - it then won't foul stock and locos running through. If I had space indoors, a waist high layout like this might actually tempt me - the old knees have deteriorated dramatically over the last 6 months - my ground level garden layout is looking more of a challenge than it did :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Small_George
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Small_George » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:44 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:29 pm Proportionally, I think your station plan can be made to work, although you may need to place any fixtures/people centrally on the platform. Also, make sure that your platform surface is no higher than the top of the rails - it then won't foul stock and locos running through. If I had space indoors, a waist high layout like this might actually tempt me - the old knees have deteriorated dramatically over the last 6 months - my ground level garden layout is looking more of a challenge than it did :lol:
philipy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:59 am
However, with regard to the trackplan, it's difficult to be sure without some actual dims, but with the amount of curved track and pointwork, I'm very dubious about the track centres and fouling points? I'd be a bit surprised if the platform width is enough to allow 2 trains to pass, let alone actually have passengers waiting on the platform? ( but I could be wrong!)
Here's the trackplan with a random selection of stock outlines I could grab dimensions for. This *seems* to show there is enough space, though translation to reality reveals all the problems with any plan :lol:. Definitely no raised platforms going on here with the potential clearances (well, lack thereof)! I have always liked the very simple planks-on-the-floor platform setup...
Attachments
16mm layout screenshot dimensions.PNG
16mm layout screenshot dimensions.PNG (544.54 KiB) Viewed 4149 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:23 am

Looks like that gives you plenty of space to run decent length trains. Surprising what can be squeezed into a pint pot....

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:58 pm

Good to see that people are not put off 16mm scale by lack of space. This should be fun.
Also good to see Egor's developments.

steamhostler
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steamhostler » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:22 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:59 am

I find 6 inches center to center will clear most locomotives, and all car stock.
5 inches center to center in yards will clear most car stock, but only smaller narrow engines.

I think you'd need 8 inches on center for 2 trains to clear passengers on a platform...
James
Grand View Light Railway
Indoors 16mm Live Steam in Colorado USA

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:13 am

I'd agree with that James. I aim on 6"/150mm .
Philip