Tram Turnouts explained please

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
spaeker
Cleaner
Cleaner

Tram Turnouts explained please

Post by spaeker » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:57 pm

Hello : Going for a tram style garden layout ( along the fence) Single track to stations/ passing places

Can anyone explain how a real tram turn out works . So that it directs a train coming from one direction on a single track to one side of station and vice versa? Direction dependant . Are there any moving "points" in such a system . Looked at my local tram and cant see any but cant see how it works.
Attach picture of gist of what I mean

Any advice on recreating this function ( O gauge) I did it once by inserting a thin piece of plastic into track at diverting point so it directed one way. tram leaving station coming other way knocked it aside to continue back on to single track Painful, hoping such is not needed

any clues?
Attachments
tram turn out.JPG
tram turn out.JPG (35.03 KiB) Viewed 1996 times

Melbournesparks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Tram Turnouts explained please

Post by Melbournesparks » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:20 pm

There was a recent thread that might be of interest on completely static points, with no moving parts at all. This is definitely an option for what you describe, though involves a bit of building and is pretty unusual in prototype practice. I have seen static points like this used on a horse tramway before.

The more conventional way to do it is use sprung points, always directing the tram in one direction in the facing direction, and spring back after trailing through from the other. Setting the spring pressure up so the points reliably spring back in a dirty outside environment takes a bit of care though.

You can use more or less unmodified points too if you don't have a need to always direct traffic the same way. If the points at each end of the loop are set opposite each other, then when the trams trail through them they'll push them over so the next tram in the opposite direction will go the way the previous one came from. Mine work this way because you don't need any springs, the point blades just have to move freely.

spaeker
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Tram Turnouts explained please

Post by spaeker » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:22 pm

guys many thanks to all who responded this thread also elsewhere
Finally someone in thee TRAM industry has kindly responded and so :
1. NO there is no modern " solid state no moving part " track configuration to achieve this auto direction control;
2. YES it is done with a single blade either pivoted or sprung steel one side of track
3. Tram entering one way is directed by the blade to one side of passing point ( station )
4. Tram from other direction ( from opposite platform side) simply pusdhes the sprung blade aside to proceed onto single track
5. Maintenance : any debris in track preventing the blade from being pushed aside is reckned to be crushed by tram wheels
6. However excessive " stilleto heels " other hard debris in the blade space so it could not move would result in derailment . Risk minimal)
7. Free movement of the blade is NOT monitored

Attach photo from tram expert of real tram track ( I marked up ) The blade here looks like it is a pivoted type ( not sprung steel)
Attach couple photos of my old single line tram model to stations. It ws made by dragging a soldering iron over old plastic advertising house for sale bill boards
You may just see the thin plastic film I glued in to simulate the " blade pivot" worked well but rather unsightly O guage

Finally for anyone who loves trams here is link to astonishing effort of an amateur fan who documented the Croydon Tram link Sadly he died so some of teh links not working so well Maybe soon disappear . " When its gone its gone "
https://www.croydon-tramlink.co.uk/

ciao spaeker ooh looking like I have success in making my own " flexi track " some lollipop sticks but mainly ... ... Let you know when I bring in finished thing
Attachments
Tram other direction knocks blade.JPG
Tram other direction knocks blade.JPG (242.99 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
diy tram stop.jpg
diy tram stop.jpg (897.77 KiB) Viewed 1859 times
simulated sprung blade.JPG
simulated sprung blade.JPG (64.15 KiB) Viewed 1859 times