Northfield Tramway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Northfield Tramway

Post by DafyddElvy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:36 pm

After some to and fro'ing I have a design which works, all I need to do now is build the baseboard to build it on.

It was the cleanest design I could come up with with the minimum complications such as switches doubling as check rails.

David
Attachments
20210622_183750.png
20210622_183750.png (166.33 KiB) Viewed 4993 times

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:24 pm

It will be interesting to see the finished article, looking forward to it.

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Northfield Tramway

Post by DafyddElvy » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:37 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:24 pm It will be interesting to see the finished article, looking forward to it.
Jimmy,

I built something similar for my 7mm scale tram storage/fiddle yard, the only difference being the inner loop is narrow gauge and only the outer loop is dual gauge.

I am looking forward to building this in the larger scale and being able to hold the parts properly during construction, their is quite a bit of difference between working with code 75 rail and code 200 rail, also the 7mm scale dual gauge turnout is about 200mm long, this one is a wee bit bigger.

Just waiting on some parts to arrive before I start building things.

David

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:47 pm

A wee bit a testing for the tram and trailer on a roughly 3% gradient which it will shouldn't ever need to tackle on the garden tramway.

Batteries at approx 90% charge
Tram + trailer required 20% power
Tram on it's own struggled on 5%, nae bother on 10%

https://youtu.be/B2gFLI3nF48

David

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:54 pm

A wee bit a testing for the tram and trailer on a roughly 3% gradient which it shouldn't ever need to tackle on the garden tramway.

David

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Northfield Tramway

Post by DafyddElvy » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:38 pm

Temptation was too much and I needed to set the safety valve for tomorrows run anyhow ;-) https://youtu.be/2Fob2PA9hJs

David

Melbournesparks
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Melbournesparks » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:51 am

DafyddElvy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:54 pm A wee bit a testing for the tram and trailer on a roughly 3% gradient which it shouldn't ever need to tackle on the garden tramway.

David
That looks great! The proper 21E truck really makes a difference.

I have a similar unit with a 21E and two axle hung traction motors that can haul a bogie trailer on my 1:20 grades, so it should be no problem. I've seen some people only fit a single traction motor to a four wheel tram.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:01 am

I bet it's satisfying to see everything runs smoothly. Another step on the way ......

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:42 am

It's been a while since their was any great progress toward actual having a garden tramway.
Just now my body feels like I tried to destroy it, buy I now have the first 4 coarses of bricks and internal blocks laid for the flower bed cum return loop. All bricks and blocks have been recovered from old raised flower beds that I de- constructed, and cement/concrete all mixed by hand in a barrow, hence I'm aching like I've never ached.

Anyhow, all bricks and blocks for the final 3 coarses now cleaned and ready for laying and the whole thing has to be filled with dirt I kept when excavating for the new lower level slabs seating area, yep I've been doing other work to keep domestic harmony, well almost domestic harmony most of the time.

Picture was taken Saturday evening when I stopped as I was reminded to feed my wee pal, and myself.

From the end of the raised bed will be a 4m long viaduct, of a varying height as the ground falls away, down to an acute angle in the fence where there will be some form of rocky feature about 2m high. As I want two datums for the viaduct, the rocky feature will be the next challenge after the raised bed.
What happens after the rocky feature has yet to be decided, as I look for inspirational ideas.
Attachments
20230619_073731.jpg
20230619_073731.jpg (83.73 KiB) Viewed 2568 times

3 minutes of fame
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 3 minutes of fame » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:13 am

It looks like your plans are quite similar to what I've built. I also have some Occre trams, all fitted with a single Appletree motor gearbox apiece, as I don't tow trailers, and grades are reasonably flat. My other interest is narrow gauge, hence the Ffestiniog stock and Welsh station building.

I used Cliff Barker gauge 1 stainless track, which is gauge widened, and makes sharper curves more easily negotiated by the trams. He also sells individual components including rail chairs and check rail fittings, all in ABS, so making up points and crossovers is reasonably simple. I made all my points up using some old 32mm coarse scale points I was given, rebuilding them to 45mm using Cliff Barker parts. They are driven by servos in 3d printed enclosures, and seem to work very well. A couple of pictures below.
20230604_112816.jpg
20230604_112816.jpg (6.82 MiB) Viewed 2566 times
20230604_112755.jpg
20230604_112755.jpg (4.26 MiB) Viewed 2566 times
20230604_160737.jpg
20230604_160737.jpg (4.51 MiB) Viewed 2566 times

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:03 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:11 pm
DafyddElvy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:10 pm I'm thinking of moving to Deltang, the locoremote is a good system, it works well, the only down side is needing to look at the phone screen to adjust the speed.

What are users thoughts on the Deltang system, pros and cons, thanks?

David
Bear in mind that I used to make and sell Deltang transmitters and equipment, so I might be ever so slightly biased....

Pros
  • Easy to use - just four wires to be connected - two to battery and two to motor
  • The receivers are tiny so fit into even the smallest loco
  • The level of control is amazing - slow crawl, gradual increase and decrease in speed
  • Packed with features such as directional lighting, auto shuttle/station stop, servo control
  • Programmable so outputs can be reconfigured and settings can be tailored
  • The Tx22 can control up to 12 locos independently
  • Tried and tested so plenty of people to ask to assist or advise
Cons
  • The technology is now a bit dated - the first receivers and transmitters were developed seven or more years ago
  • The equipment is now in short supply because of the difficulty in getting the chips it uses (though Andy at Micron is developing compatible systems to replace them)
  • The range is limited to around 10- 20 metres. OK for small or medium sized gardens though
  • Some of the receivers are limited to 13v supplies and 3A outputs - but there are higher rated receivers
There are probably more to be added to the lists, no doubt others will chip in

Rik
... And as I took over from Rik, I might be even more biased? :dontknow:

The 'Cons' have 'sort-of' gone away:

There is a new receiver/controller, which is 5-20V, 3A capable.

This is now being redesigned as the type 'c'. - There have been both an 'a' and two 'b' versions, mainly due to having to redesign the boards (and tweak the code) as the supply of processors waxes and wains.

'Watch this space' regarding Transmitters. - I can't say more, at the moment..

New designs, using new families of chips, and a commitment to continuing support.

(Did I say I might be biased?)

Phil.P

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:48 am

Hard work laying bricks, but worth it in the end. :thumbright:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:34 pm

I picked up some secondhand peco track which is in good condition and purchased some Cliff Barker flexi track and components when I started looking at the garden tramway and it's options.

One of my construction challenges is height, the right hand side of the raised bed finished level is roughly 700mm, from their the garden falls away roughly another 0.8m-0.9m, even with a 1:100 gradient over 3m height isn't on my side.

All my point work will be scratch built to Gauge 1 finescale tolerances, not ideal for some visitors but I'm working to "it's my tramway for my trams" principle. Sea Lion which is my only commercial built model runs through the indoor test track so I'm happy with that.

Domestic harmony dictates I need to stick to the fence line, so my pondering just now is how to have an elevated railway that doesn't look like a tramway running on a shelf :scratch:

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:12 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:48 am Hard work laying bricks, but worth it in the end. :thumbright:
You're not wrong, one lesson I have learnt is that I will be completing the remainder of the block work first, I started laying the bricks first because I knew the position of the front edge, now the front edge has been established I'll be completing the heavier blockwork before laying the remaining lighter brick coarses, leaving the lighter work to last. I'll also not be mixing a 12 shovels of sand mix again, that was hard work.

Track base within the raised bed will follow a similar design of a wee railway I visited while in Brisbane. Thinking of the railway in Brisbane, I need to think about somewhere for an outdoor fridge to keep refreshments cool :occasion5:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:21 pm

Phil.P wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:03 am
  • There is a new receiver/controller, which is 5-20V, 3A capable.
  • This is now being redesigned as the type 'c'. - There have been both an 'a' and two 'b' versions, mainly due to having to redesign the boards (and tweak the code) as the supply of processors waxes and wains.
  • 'Watch this space' regarding Transmitters. - I can't say more, at the moment..
  • New designs, using new families of chips, and a commitment to continuing support.
That all sounds very exciting and intriguing, Phil. Looking forward to seeing what develops.

Rik
------------------------

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Northfield Tramway

Post by DafyddElvy » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:54 am

Another wee update, a friend who is a whiz with templot has been busy again for me.

One of my challenges has been that opposite the raised bed I must retain an area for a wee table, and the side access gate needs to be retained because the various wheelie bins WILL NOT (wife speaking sternly) be stored in front of the house. This has meant only the inner loop and a wee straight section of the outer loop will actually be permanently located on the raised bed, the remainder of the outer arc will need to sit on a removable bridge, which I have a cunning plan for.

What this plan most importantly for me does, is tell me where the track bed will be so I can set it out for the concrete track base, it also gives me templates for the turnout construction knowing all should fit so long as I stick with the single plan, having this track plan also means work doesn't stop for rain.

What I don't have, and need to make if I cannae borrow, is a track bender to form nice even curves.
Attachments
garden_32-45_2023_06_19.png
garden_32-45_2023_06_19.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 4404 times

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:53 pm

Lots of sweary words, thank goodness that's the raised bed cum return loop and steaming siding back filling complete, some flaming job it was shifting all that fill material by myself.
I left the final coarse of bricks off, one so I didn't damage the top line of bricks, but mainly because it meant I didn't need to humph the wheelbarrow up the extra height, I'll not miss the work that has gone in to this part of the line.
My wife took a video of me emptying the last barrow of fill material, but I cannae share it with sound.

Now I just need to install the shuttering and cast the track bed.
Attachments
20230811_204557.jpg
20230811_204557.jpg (217.89 KiB) Viewed 4196 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:14 am

DafyddElvy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:53 pm Lots of sweary words, thank goodness that's the raised bed cum return loop and steaming siding back filling complete, some flaming job it was shifting all that fill material by myself.
I left the final coarse of bricks off, one so I didn't damage the top line of bricks, but mainly because it meant I didn't need to humph the wheelbarrow up the extra height, I'll not miss the work that has gone in to this part of the line.
My wife took a video of me emptying the last barrow of fill material, but I cannae share it with sound.

Now I just need to install the shuttering and cast the track bed.
You paint a vivid picture. Having made raised beds I can empathise ... :lol:

Rik
------------------------

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:36 am

I would drive in some metal spikes, dexion, whatever you have, and cast with that in the bed. - Your fill will settle!

Phil.P

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:26 pm

Looks great! :thumbright:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works