Northfield Tramway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Northfield Tramway

Post by DafyddElvy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:59 pm

Thought I would share some jottings about my little to be garden tramway.

At the moment the only track is some which has been temporarily laid on the patio for test run purposes, but we all have to start somewhere.

It all started because we moved home and my wish for space to accommodate a garden line was incorporated in to the requirements list for the new house , along with space for me to have a shed (workshop).

I really didn't know where things might lead but a quick look on an auction site and I purchased a Bachmann G Scale tram, I'm not getting any younger so I made the decision to not use track power and spend my life cleaning track, but opted for battery power. As the Bachmann trucks don't have the best reputation I also decided to replace the trucks to something a little less noisy and ones which would be reliable.

The first tram was almost stripped to its component parts to allow me to see what I was taking on, that was my excuse anyhow. Moving forward through a few trials, one failure in shrinking cable tubing requiring me to make replacement dash panels, and a few trials led to a new truck being assembled.
With things generally going not too bad and having decided to use the locoremote units for control and initially using the Appletree traction motor units I have a working truck.

While waiting on some parts to arrive I also made a start on an open tram which will be used as a trailer, this of course also needed a new truck, the only thing I have decided on for the trail is the electrical connection between the two vehicles as they won't be permanently coupled I need to find a suitable cable connector my clumsy fingers can use and be strong enough not break.

ImageFirst Tram Stripped Down

ImageTruck Frame Assembled

ImageTruck with New Traction Motors and Locoremote Unit

ImageOpen Tram New Truck

Image20210519_145646

A quick video of the first vehicle on test operating on the temporary patio line

No photos of the tramway yet but a tramway in the making.

David

Photo links delayed by an unpleasant reaction to a flaming vaccination
Last edited by DafyddElvy on Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 12 times in total.

philipy

Re: Northfield Tramway

Post by philipy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:21 pm

Hi David,
Thanks for the description of what sounds as though its going to be a nice project.

I'm afraid that you haven't got the photo and video embedding quite right though, and none of your pictures are showing up in your post. May I suggest you take a look at the "How too...'s" section, ( https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=62 ) there are two that should be relevant, Photo's and Youtube video's,. If you get stuck, please do give us a shout.
Philip

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Houston we are having a wee technical hitch with the photos, once sorted I'll sort the links.

David

Update: wha hey and yippee I know what to do now but it'll need to wait until tomorrow to correct everything.
Last edited by DafyddElvy on Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:23 pm

DafyddElvy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:06 pm Houston we are having a wee technical hitch with the photos, once sorted I'll sort the links.

David
I'm interested to see your images once sorted, as I plan to build a model tram (at 32mm gauge) from an OcCre kit and need to sort out a suitable power arrangement.
If it helps, you can't paste links to your images from your own pc, they have to be stored online, or you can upload a maximum of 2 images using the 'Attachments' button under the edit box. Good luck - waiting to see what you've done so far :thumbright:

Edit: Showing up nicely now :thumbright:
Last edited by Lonsdaler on Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:16 am

Pictures are showing up nicely for me. Beautiful work, there, very tidy power arrangement.

Good to hear you're getting a workshop, every railway (and tramway) needs one. :)
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:05 am

DafyddElvy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:59 pm
While waiting on some parts to arrive I also made a start on an open tram which will be used as a trailer, this of course also needed a new truck, the only thing I have decided on for the trail is the electrical connection between the two vehicles as they won't be permanently coupled I need to find a suitable cable connector my clumsy fingers can use and be strong enough not break.
Hi David
I use these JST micro connectors. They are tiny, but click together reliably and as they already have wires attached, are fairly easy to wire into the system

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284270706948

Rik
PS Here are a couple used on my 3D printed diesels to transfer motor power and lighting

------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:53 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:05 am
DafyddElvy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:59 pm
Hi David
I use these JST micro connectors. They are tiny, but click together reliably and as they already have wires attached, are fairly easy to wire into the system

Rik
+1 for the JST micro connectors. They are small (almost to scale, if such a connection were needed) but reliable when connected. A little fiddly perhaps, but needle nose pliers work wonders where stubby fingers can't. My HGLW steeple cab loco is powered from a trailing toolbox via one of these connectors.
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:45 am

I spy a fine example of an original Deltang Tx22 there, Phil. :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:10 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:45 am I spy a fine example of an original Deltang Tx22 there, Phil. :thumbup:

Rik
I'm thinking of moving to Deltang, the locoremote is a good system, it works well, the only down side is needing to look at the phone screen to adjust the speed.

What are users thoughts on the Deltang system, pros and cons, thanks?

David

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:17 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:16 am Pictures are showing up nicely for me. Beautiful work, there, very tidy power arrangement.

Good to hear you're getting a workshop, every railway (and tramway) needs one. :)
This is a first of type, not having done anything remotely similar before I am quite surprised the only real change needed to rotate the DPDT 90⁰, so I'm calling this a success.

The next powered conversion will be one of the open cars in which I'll be using Fosworks traction motors, same set up just a smaller motor unit.

But I need to get this pair finished before I start the next one.

David

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:11 pm

DafyddElvy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:10 pm I'm thinking of moving to Deltang, the locoremote is a good system, it works well, the only down side is needing to look at the phone screen to adjust the speed.

What are users thoughts on the Deltang system, pros and cons, thanks?

David
Bear in mind that I used to make and sell Deltang transmitters and equipment, so I might be ever so slightly biased....

Pros
  • Easy to use - just four wires to be connected - two to battery and two to motor
  • The receivers are tiny so fit into even the smallest loco
  • The level of control is amazing - slow crawl, gradual increase and decrease in speed
  • Packed with features such as directional lighting, auto shuttle/station stop, servo control
  • Programmable so outputs can be reconfigured and settings can be tailored
  • The Tx22 can control up to 12 locos independently
  • Tried and tested so plenty of people to ask to assist or advise
Cons
  • The technology is now a bit dated - the first receivers and transmitters were developed seven or more years ago
  • The equipment is now in short supply because of the difficulty in getting the chips it uses (though Andy at Micron is developing compatible systems to replace them)
  • The range is limited to around 10- 20 metres. OK for small or medium sized gardens though
  • Some of the receivers are limited to 13v supplies and 3A outputs - but there are higher rated receivers
There are probably more to be added to the lists, no doubt others will chip in

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:34 pm

As a layman, I agree with Rik. They are simple, small and very flexible.
The Tx22 transmitter with its ability to control up to 12 locos independantly at the flick of a switch ( well, twist of a knob actually) is well worth it.
The amount of Rx customisation/reprogramming available is mind boggling although it does take brain fatigue to new levels trying to get to grips with it, but they work perfectly well out of the box if you want to keep it simple.

Using a knob to control speed, together with a direction switch , is much more intuitive for trains than using an aircraft type joystick.

I have heard about the availability problems and the last Rx I bought took some searching out. I've also heard about the development of alternatives but have no real info to add on that.
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:52 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:45 am I spy a fine example of an original Deltang Tx22 there, Phil. :thumbup:

Rik
And it's still going strong Rik, made by my good self from one of the kits. I still have a couple of receivers in stock, one I have intended to install my in Ragleth for quite a while now, and one day I might, although I'm tempted to try and RC my Accucraft Decauville 0-4-0, so it may go there (that will be regulator only though).
It's a great shame that some of the chips are now obsolete, and that Mr Deltang isn't motivated to update his designs😞
:threadjacked Apologies to David for the thread hijack. Back on topic now gentlemen (and ladies), I thank you!😁
Phil

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:49 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:34 pm .......I've also heard about the development of alternatives but have no real info to add on that.
This is as much as I know at this stage

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rc_rail_status.html

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:09 pm

Looking good!

Although I have to try not to look at model trams, I could become hooked...

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:50 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:09 pm Looking good!

Although I have to try not to look at model trams, I could become hooked...
There is nothing wrong with being hooked on trams, ding ding 🙃

David

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 pm

Hi David

Rik
Thank you for the link, the connectors arrived today, I hadn't realised these connectors came in such a small size, I think these should be ideal for my purpose, thanks.

With the recent purchase of a live steam loco I have been distracted researching what bits n bobs I am going to need for the loco, back to trams for tonight though.

David

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:35 am

DafyddElvy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 pm e recent purchase of a live steam loco I have been distracted researching what bits n bobs I am going to need for the loco, back to trams for tonight though.
You could always combine the two - I'm rather taken with the new (?) Regner steam tram kit - https://www.gardenrailways.co.uk/regner ... r-rtr.html - as constructed by this forum's Mike...

Looking forward to hearing more about both projects!

Andrew.

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Andrew wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:35 am
DafyddElvy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 pm e recent purchase of a live steam loco I have been distracted researching what bits n bobs I am going to need for the loco, back to trams for tonight though.
You could always combine the two - I'm rather taken with the new (?) Regner steam tram kit - https://www.gardenrailways.co.uk/regner ... r-rtr.html - as constructed by this forum's Mike...

Looking forward to hearing more about both projects!

Andrew.
There are becoming far far too many distractions, the unexpected winning bid on flea bay for a steam loco being just one. I was actually looking at the Regner tram engine first to join my trams, but that purchase will need to go on hold for now.

What may seem like a nothing moment for some was actually a big step forward when I set up some plant pots at the side of the house and put a small wall panel on top, seems a silly thing to do until you realise this bodge together was to provide a visual mock up of the planned flower bed/return loop. Domestic planning now in place with photographic evidence ;-)
ImageReturn Loop

Progress is still progress. Now I need to find someone with fence posts and some bricks and cement in stock which is proving difficult just now, then I can start the first phase of track laying.

David

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:12 pm

DafyddElvy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 pm
I hadn't realised these connectors came in such a small size,
I had never come across this size before, either. I subsequently discovered that they do a 3-way version which have just been delivered, and other multiples seem to be available.
So my thanks to Rik as well.
Philip