Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

Post by BertieB » Fri May 06, 2022 1:30 pm

GTB wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:57 am "Have you been able to do a four car load test yet?"
I have! The following evening I had another go – and got the tripod out this time.

I’ve re-edited the video (and the link on the posting above), exchanging the naffest shots for three- and four-car alternatives.

Now that I’ve seen the four-car unit actually trundling about I’m inclined to think it looks a bit too much, at least in my garden. Longer track and gentler curves would help. The USA Trains motorblocks (with a 12v battery-pack and Deltang set-up) have more than enough grunt and poke. I actually have to be careful.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 06, 2022 1:43 pm

To my eye, either 2 or 4 car units look best. The 2 car looks like a self contained 'DMU' and the 4-car looks like a train, whilst the 3 car looks as though there is something missing. However, they all look good. :D
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri May 06, 2022 3:43 pm

Very nice!

2 or 3 for me, like the Hampshire Units... I'm now very much looking forward to the next video...

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat May 07, 2022 1:50 am

BertieB wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:30 pm Now that I’ve seen the four-car unit actually trundling about I’m inclined to think it looks a bit too much, at least in my garden.
Can't help you with that, the VR only used their rail motors for light traffic. I'm used to single power cars, sometimes with a trailer, or a van for parcels and light goods.........

You are the best judge of how it fits in your garden. However, you now have a power car that can easily handle a four car set if you visit a large track for a running session.

My approach to engineering a model loco is to make sure it has about twice as much power as needed to run scale length trains, up to my track maximum of 10 bogie vehicles, or 20 four wheelers. That way I get long runs and the mechanical bits aren't overworked, so don't wear out quickly.

Good stuff....... ;)

Graeme

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon May 09, 2022 10:16 am

Well, I don't mind 2, 3 or 4 car sets, but I think 2 or more trains next to each other in a yard setting, or multi platform station, would look exceptional! Looking forward to the colour version. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed May 11, 2022 12:05 pm

Thank you all.
Lonsdaler wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:16 am "...2 or more trains next to each other in a yard setting, or multi platform station..."
I can’t offer anything like that, unfortunately – I've long since removed even the couple of sidings I had (endless derailments at points). But my fantasy new line (when the old dear eventually demands we relocate to the Outer Hebrides) will, obviously, be double track throughout and include a precise representation of Corfe Castle station, with numerous sidings…

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 11, 2022 2:03 pm

BertieB wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:05 pm I can’t offer anything like that, unfortunately – I've long since removed even the couple of sidings I had (endless derailments at points). But my fantasy new line (when the old dear eventually demands we relocate to the Outer Hebrides) will, obviously, be double track throughout and include a precise representation of Corfe Castle station, with numerous sidings…
And the castle itself, of course...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed May 11, 2022 4:22 pm

Andrew wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:03 pm
“And the castle itself, of course...”
I did a quick, unsuccessful, search online for some data but from memory I imagine that, even at 1:26, the castle (and the hill it sits on) would be about the size of, say, a couple of double deck buses*. Which I guess is what you were hinting at.

(*ECW Bristol Ks preferably)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 11, 2022 6:49 pm

I prefer the 4 car set ...... No particular reason, though it might be because I like seeing a longish train threading its way through the foliage.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:39 am

Painted a fair number of the cheapo 1:25 commuters, at last, who now populate the coaches (but sparsely). It’s a branch line (sometimes) so there doesn’t need to be more than a couple in each compartment, which seems to be about right visually. You can’t really see too much through the windows anyway — but any train now will not be obviously empty.

There’s some kind of profound, philosophical difference between attempting to represent hardware / plant / equipment (trains) in model form and people, I’ve always thought. A sensible rationale for this is beyond my reach, I’m afraid — but recently I’ve, erm, refined my position: years ago I wouldn’t have questioned that adding figures was, you know, clearly naff. But here we are. It’s the overwhelming authority of the forum.

open+passengers_3_2385.jpg
open+passengers_3_2385.jpg (211.42 KiB) Viewed 7608 times
And not too many in First Class, mind

passengers_1_0305.jpg
passengers_1_0305.jpg (114.45 KiB) Viewed 7608 times
They've just been blasted with spray varnish
Last edited by BertieB on Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:53 am

Very nicely done! I do think figures are necessary, particularly drivers, otherwise why run a train service? I see you are planning a sleeper carriage too!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:39 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:53 am “I see you are planning a sleeper carriage too!”
Thank you. I’ve been toying with it! I had thought though that a few standing figures could represent enthusiasts at open windows (not leaning out, of course) but they’re too naff, quite honestly. The (sitting) Preiser clones are much better quality.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:28 pm

I pondered putting a link here to the ‘Videos’ posting that includes the embedded, challenging new ‘Modernisation Plan’ YouTube video — but it might just as well be accessed directly here too…

I’d hoped to also include locomotive-hauled options but that will have to be Part 2, to follow — after I’ve received some more receivers.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:11 pm

BertieB wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:39 am There’s some kind of profound, philosophical difference between attempting to represent hardware / plant / equipment (trains) in model form and people, I’ve always thought. A sensible rationale for this is beyond my reach, I’m afraid — but recently I’ve, erm, refined my position: years ago I wouldn’t have questioned that adding figures was, you know, clearly naff. But here we are. It’s the overwhelming authority of the forum.
10 or so years ago I was involved in the Garden Railway Realism email group, where the use of figures was a very hot topic. The group's leading lights were definitely anti, but - although I could see their point, and concede it's a bit naff - I'm still broadly pro. I do aim for a certain level of realism, which (for the 20s Welsh Highland) means a lot of grey and black and brown paint, and rust, and grime, so I like how the clothing of passengers and other figures adds a little splash of colour. Wagon loads can do the same thing, and both aid the creation of a sense of purpose.

Ian Stock, one of that e-group's founders, wrote well, and often thought-provokingly about many aspects of railways in the garden (I'd recommend his book, The Art of Garden Railways) - I don't think this is one of his best articles, but you might enjoy it: http://gardenrailwayrealism.pbworks.com ... nal%20view

Cheers,

Andrew

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:36 pm

Interesting article Andrew, thanks for posting the link. I completely agree with some of what he says, and it's difficult to argue with most of it, but fundamantally I come to a different end conclusion! - I like Berties populated coaches and I think the figures add realism, not destroy it.
Philip

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:38 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:11 pm “…the use of figures was a very hot topic”
Thank you. I hadn’t realised it was already seen to be controversial.

Interesting (to me) that he runs through some of the arguments — and arrives at precisely the opposite conclusion. The one he doesn’t mention (as I found — and as Philipy suggests) is that passenger vehicles, let alone a whole train of them, just look empty if you don’t put a few seated figures in the windows — and in this case, it seems to me, it doesn’t matter at all that they’re ‘static’. As Peter says (and I can illustrate) an obvious lack of crew on moving locomotives doesn’t look wonderful either.

I haven’t done a particularly accomplished job painting the cheapo Preiser clones in dull, much simplified colour (largely) — but I have to say the overall effect is still much better than I’d expected.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 pm

I think your Thumper really looks the part - well done. Have I missed a post about your sound effects? Are they only added to the videos, or have you installed a sound module? If so, which one please?
Phil

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 pm “Have I missed a post about your sound effects?”
Thank you. I’m afraid the audio’s just added in the video edit. My notion of using a thumping, ‘Xtra Bass’ Bluetooth speaker kind of fizzled out with the motorblock issues (and expense). I still fancy having a go, though — perhaps after a visit to the Spa Valley…

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:21 pm

BertieB wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:38 am
Lonsdaler wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 pm “Have I missed a post about your sound effects?”
Thank you. I’m afraid the audio’s just added in the video edit. My notion of using a thumping, ‘Xtra Bass’ Bluetooth speaker kind of fizzled out with the motorblock issues (and expense). I still fancy having a go, though — perhaps after a visit to the Spa Valley…
That's a shame, it would be great if you can achieve it, although it would need to be played infrequently, to avoid annoying the neighbours😅
Phil

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:06 am

What’s going on here?
Philipy has kindly moved this thread from ‘rolling stock’, enabling me to also drone on about locos and any other vaguely relevant nonsense. Thank you.

AF17ACA2-3452-41A9-BCE0-6967DF7F60EE.jpeg
AF17ACA2-3452-41A9-BCE0-6967DF7F60EE.jpeg (162.39 KiB) Viewed 7984 times
It’s a bit crude but I like the chunkiness

Before coaches can be pulled (or pushed) by appropriate locos from the recently rationalised home fleet, I’ve become aware (again) that there’s a list of long-ignored repairs to plod through.

This fun-scale, ‘might’ve been’ Q1T, for example, required repairs, a bit of a tidy up (now benefitting from newly applied ‘mixed traffic’ DIY decals) and the return of its R/C receiver, which had been lent to other locos, as Deltang (and more recently, Loco Remote) had become unavailable. It stayed forlornly on the shelf for most of the past year or two. Strangely, that seems to be where most breakages happen.

But, at last, I’ve got some more (Micron) receivers…